Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Fate of Nintendo

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Omega
    You couldn't be more wrong, The PS3 is about twice the power of an Xbox360, we don't even KNOW what the Revolution's specifics are quite yet. They only said it will be three to four times FASTER than the Gamecube, so take that for what it's worth. Honestly, I'm thinking that a PS3 or Xbox 360 will be able to friggin eat a Revolution and ask for more, the stats are gonna be too different, Nintendo's not trying to compete in power anymore.
    I apologize I my thought of the closeness of power in the system. I thought the XBOX 360 would have much more power than the PS3, guess I was wrong, heh. As far as the Revolution's power, it should be fairly close to PS3's due to the fact that it can play DVDs (so I heard), connect to the un-released Gameboy Micro, and play all previous Nintendo games, including the Gamecube. I haven't played XBOX or PS2 as much as Gamecube, but I know one thing for sure is that Gamecube sure has a lot of power (though rarely used, a good case of the power being used is in Super Smash Bros Melee). However it is true that the specs for the Revolution are still in question by those not on the inside, so we'll just have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    and as for you yum9, your reasons for what you think gaming should be is identical to mine, but it just doesn't matter to some people... The majority of the gamers on this board are proof. Sad but true.
    I'm glad you think that, innovation is key to gaming in the future, there's only so many ways to present an RPG, until something different like Crystal Chronicles comes out. (By the way, I absolutely love the game, it's pretty good in 1-P Mode, but in Multiplayer the fun never stops, I don't understand why people don't like it, but I'm getting off topic, so I shall stop)

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yum9
    I apologize I my thought of the closeness of power in the system. I thought the XBOX 360 would have much more power than the PS3, guess I was wrong, heh. As far as the Revolution's power, it should be fairly close to PS3's due to the fact that it can play DVDs (so I heard), connect to the un-released Gameboy Micro, and play all previous Nintendo games, including the Gamecube. I haven't played XBOX or PS2 as much as Gamecube, but I know one thing for sure is that Gamecube sure has a lot of power (though rarely used, a good case of the power being used is in Super Smash Bros Melee). However it is true that the specs for the Revolution are still in question by those not on the inside, so we'll just have to wait.
    You seem to be mixing up system power with graphical power(two different things) so it's hard to follow you.

I'm glad you think that, innovation is key to gaming in the future
    It's another one of those "Innovation vs. Coolness" or "Innovation vs. the casual gamer" conversation you two are having.

EDIT: it can also be "Innovation vs. Keeping it safe"

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna

Well that depends on Nintendo. Nintendo isn't #3 because their system sucks. They're #3 because they messed over their bussiness associets to the point that game development companies took their games anywhere but there (mostly to Sony). There's a reason they're down to mostly proprietary games. They have to make their own because others won't. SquareSoft once swore they would never do bussiness with them again. (I don't know if they kept that.)
    But understand that Nintendo Hardly EVER relied on 3rd party games. Nintendo believe that innovation makes great gameplay. Nintendo is the kind of company that relies on their own badass 1st party games.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenX
    But understand that Nintendo Hardly EVER relied on 3rd party games. Nintendo believe that innovation makes great gameplay. Nintendo is the kind of company that relies on their own badass 1st party games.
    I assume you're overlooking the NES and the Super Nes. Just about everyone programed for Nintendo until they decided that they owned the copyright for any game made for their system. For some reason the developers didn't take that to well.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    No, I'm talking about recently.

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Truth
    You seem to be mixing up system power with graphical power(two different things) so it's hard to follow you.

It's another one of those "Innovation vs. Coolness" or "Innovation vs. the casual gamer" conversation you two are having.

EDIT: it can also be "Innovation vs. Keeping it safe"
    Chances are I was mixing those two up >.>; But the power isn't really enough for me to consider a game console better than another. In certain ways, the more power (system and graphical) a system has, the better it is.

The games are what will make me consider buying a console. People today prefer SNES (even NES) games to some PSX/GCN games. It's all about which company can attract the biggest crowd. North Americans, being the capitalists we are () want the best system in terms of power, speed, graphics and games. Whichever console can scream "Ooh! Lookit me! I am teh p0wer! j00 want to play me!!eleven" is going to get the most units sold. The other consoles, though different in terms of capability, are good at what they are doing.

XBOX basically has to attract a big action/Halo crowd to deter those anti-Microsoft fans.
    Nintendo has to shy away from the safe happy-go-lucky Kirby and Mario games and make there biggest assets (Metroid and Zelda) into dangerous games like RE4.
    Sony basically has it the easiest in my opinion, go up to any person, hardcore gamer or not, and ask them what system they have or like the best, and most of them will say PS2. Because Sony already has such a vast crowd (at least where I live) it is going to be very difficult for Nintendo and Microsoft to make their consoles sell. All this talk of power and stuff I nice, I do admit, but when the games are released then we'll see how our predictions fare.

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    there's a few things i want to clear up.

as much as i would like to say that innovation is important to the console industry, it's not the sole reason why a console is flourishes, especially hardware innovation. nintendo makes alot of neat little features to go with their consoles, but to say that it's making them successful? it's more like it's making them survive. do you truly believe the rumblepak was a big reason why people ran out to buy an n64? do you truly believe people bought a gamecube [or gba] because they had the ability to link up? get real, it's the software the counts. the hardware is suppose to support it. the question about hardware really is: how powerful will it be in order to allow us to enjoy the games on that particular console, and what hardware features will there be for us to enjoy that specific game. the hardware doesn't necessarily have to be extremely crazy as long as the gameplay really is enjoyable. fortunately for nintendo, the revolution doesn't have to be spectacular in specs for us to enjoy the gamplay that comes from the games on it, or so they say.

another point i want to reiterate is that nintendo is losing out because of their loss of good 3rd party titles, as arrianna has already pointed out. honestly, i really like nintendo, since their consoles had some of my favorites games ever made. however, those games are of the past. why did i like snes so much? why it's cuz of the games, of course. a WHOLE MESS of games from 3rd parties as well, but currently nintendo no longer has the robust library it once had for its home console. nintendo's survival in the home console market has become uncertain and it can't continue on for long if all it depends on is its own inhouse games. nintendo stands firm on their belief, but that doesn't mean consumers will.

to bring those 2 points together, nintendo is in quite a predicament in both hardware and software, and innovation seems to be the only the way out for nintendo. sadly, however, that alone isn't exactly what's going to pull them out. they need lots of good 3rd party titles that push these features they got going if they want to take back any market share, especially if that is their marketing tactic.

i really don't want nintendo to go, but it's more because of sentiments.
    Last edited by maverickvns; May 24, 2005 at 11:08 PM.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yum9
    Chances are I was mixing those two up >.>; But the power isn't really enough for me to consider a game console better than another. In certain ways, the more power (system and graphical) a system has, the better it is.

The games are what will make me consider buying a console. People today prefer SNES (even NES) games to some PSX/GCN games. It's all about which company can attract the biggest crowd. North Americans, being the capitalists we are () want the best system in terms of power, speed, graphics and games. Whichever console can scream "Ooh! Lookit me! I am teh p0wer! j00 want to play me!!eleven" is going to get the most units sold. The other consoles, though different in terms of capability, are good at what they are doing.

XBOX basically has to attract a big action/Halo crowd to deter those anti-Microsoft fans.
    Nintendo has to shy away from the safe happy-go-lucky Kirby and Mario games and make there biggest assets (Metroid and Zelda) into dangerous games like RE4.
    Sony basically has it the easiest in my opinion, go up to any person, hardcore gamer or not, and ask them what system they have or like the best, and most of them will say PS2. Because Sony already has such a vast crowd (at least where I live) it is going to be very difficult for Nintendo and Microsoft to make their consoles sell. All this talk of power and stuff I nice, I do admit, but when the games are released then we'll see how our predictions fare.
    People only go to buy old systems because of one of 3 reasons....

1.They didn't get to experience games and wan't to with older systems.

2. They believe that the newer games are much more complex than those of the SNES days. So they stick to the roots of gaming.

3. The new systems are way too expensive for some(Not everyone can afford a system of 300 dollars or more). That's why they go buy an older system and have fun with it.

Even though I'm an xbox fan more than other systems(because of its compatability with the pc), I have to say that sony dominates in marketing and 3rd party software. No one ever talks bad about sony because there is nothing bad to say about them. So nintendo fans hate xbox and xbox fans hate nintendo. I don't hate nintendo(I grew up on it as much as everyone else), but I haven't liked it as much lately.

The main reason for me is the library of games. Nintendo barely has enough games for the gamecube right now to hold interest in most people. I buy mostly blockbuster hit games(that means only games that get an 8.0 rating or above at gamerankings.com), and nintendo only has a few of those. I have about 15 gamecube games and ten of them are by nintendo.

Also, remember, microsoft has more than just halo supporting them, that's just a stereotype and a scapegoat people use because of how successful it's been.

Also, Resident Evil 4 is barely scratching the surface of mature. There are alot worse mature games out there for different systems(GTA), trust me.

Playstation and xbox just deliver better variety, better games, and better peripherals that are actually used.

All Xbox 360 needs is more of Japan's support. That is the key to more sales putting them up there with playstation 3.

PC owns everyone
    Playstation owns most of Japan and US.
    Xbox owns the online world.
    Gamecube owns....nothing, they're just there giving their cliche games about every 2-3 years.

Nintendo relies on the (RE) system(no not resident evil)

RErun-make a "special edition" with some crap one year after the game is out
    RErelease-old classics
    REstart-trying to restart how their marketing system works everytime they fail(adding crap when you buy a gamecube, just so you buy it)
    REdo-remake a classic(people like that for some reason, I don't know why but just look at the Resident evil fans)

...Just so they can make money off of the past(games and hardware). But as everyone knows, you can't hold on to the past forever....

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast