Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FF7 an anime?

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    False Truth be nice next post I see like that I will edit

There are Animes with Computer Generated GFX in it Vandread Zoids SD Gundam I mean Those are classified as Animes. The main thing is are you must have an Anime Characteristics in the movie A.K,A the big eyes. The weird face espressions There are SOME animes that don't have the big eyes much but you still know they are there Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop Its just how you look at it I guess.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    I hate to burst your bubble but computer animation is not a style of movie only a technique used for: "real-time 3D rendering (often used in video games), video capture and video creation rendering, special effects editing (often used for movies and television), image editing, and modeling (often used for engineering and medical purposes)."

If I can quote myself:

Well according to Wikipedia:

Anime is Japanese animation, often characterized by stylized colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in a variety of different settings and storylines, aimed at a variety of different audiences... Internationally, anime once bore the popular name Japanimation, but this term has fallen into disuse. It saw the most usage during the 1970s and 1980s, which broadly comprise the first and second waves of anime fandom. The term survived at least into the early 1990s but seemed to fade away shortly before the mid-1990s anime resurgence. In general, the term now only appears in nostalgic contexts. The term Japanimation is much more commonly used in Japan to refer to domestic animation. Since anime or animeshon is used to describe all forms of animation, Japanimation is meant to distinguish Japanese work from that of the rest of the world..

There is no such thing definitivly as "American Anime" (or in this case "CG movies") there is just animation. The real question is whether it is "anime" or an "animated cartoon".

Animated cartoons are usually shown on television or cinema screens and are created by drawing thousands of individual drawings which are shown rapidly in succession to give the impression of movement. In this meaning, the word cartoon is often shortened to toon, which may be a corruption of Looney Tunes. Toon was popularized in the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Toons are often anthropomorphized animals used in non-serious fiction. It is not generally used to in reference to anime characters. A major distinction between the two is the squash and stretch mannerism of American cartoon characters.
    What your discussing is not the definition of Anime but a sub-genre of Anime known as BESM (big eyes small mouth).

Of course Advent Children is Anime, it's animated. Likewise the FF movie is Anime also, just CG animation. That doesn't make FF RPG's an Anime though. Is either of them BESM? No.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry for bringing this old thread up again, but I just wanted to show an example of what I meant by the inclusion of 3D-rendered models in contemporary anime. Good example is Initial D...the first time it came out (1st stagS), the cars were hand-drawn, but in 4th Stage, the cars are already 3D-rendered models. Same with Gundam...when it first came out, the mecha were hand-drawn, but now SEED and the later Eps have some sequences shot that include 3D-rendered models. This "mixed media" effect has a very nice high tech feel to it, and if the subject matter/plot of the anime concerns tech-stuff or sci-fi, it enhances the overall effect. But I think even if 3D-rendered models are used in a feudal Japanese anime setting, it would still be cool.

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Addendum:

Now that I've got APPLESEED, this is by far, the definitive example of remarkable anime celshading technique. This is definitely the wave of the future. All anime should be like this...yes, the traditional "shoot and flip" 2D anime will still have its own charm, but man, I can't wait for a ROBOTECH saga remake in the future using celshading...it's definitely gonna rock.

IMHO, they should've done FFtheMovie using celshading--it preserves the anime feel better.

-RODION
    Last edited by Rodion; Jan 16, 2005 at 06:44 PM.
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmmmm....though u can always consider it an anime rite? I mean....y would it really matter neway? LoL...i guess these trivial things are what makes the world go round

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine
    ok i know that since Final Fantasy 7 is a game, its not an anime. but when its movie, FF7 Advent Children, releases, will it officially be an anime then?
    No, it won't be an anime. It will be another game-based movie, not an anime.

Newbie Death-nyu may be famous one day Death-nyu may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I don't think it would be an anime...its supposed to be a CG movie...

Newbie Solid may be famous one day Solid may be famous one day Solid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ugh.....this is so confusing, >.< Yes, I think it would be, I mean if it isn't like that odd computer graphics they used on Shreck *is not saying that it is made by those people, just refering to the graphics* but then, if it IS like that than it wouldn't be considered anime. I dont know if you guys get me XP...........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast