Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: FF7. Tell me why.

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks

FF7. Tell me why.

Was FF7 TRULY one of the greatest FF Games ever made? Or are some people just saying that because Advent Children is coming out? I can't help but think.

Personally, I liked FF7's storyline etc. Didn't like the graphics (because I played IX before VII, hehe.) I wish FF7 could revamp their graphics for the game. That'll be wonderful. However, the original game became a little stale for me because of all the roboti-cky stuff.

....and what about YOU?

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I can't speak for everyone else but I loved FF7 since the day it was released back in September of 97' mainly because it was my first major foray into the Final Fantasy series so needless to say, it's very personal to me.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    People are saying that because FFVII was the first major FF hit in the western world.
    And for a good reason, imho it's not overrated at all.

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    it was probably because ff7 was a complete package and what people consider to be the standard of what an rpg should have. the materia system was one of the most innovative magic system at the time and still is today. the story being set in the present/future probably had people relate more to the characters. the tension and interest apparent between the characters were without a doubt gripping, you couldn't help but cheer on the characters. the music was no longer being played off a cartridge midi set, but rather an orchestra. you had to admit, the villains were cool enough not to hate [the turks, weapons, and of course sephiroth], 'cept probably cait sith and yuffie [i didn't mind her though]. also one of the most tragic events of game history happened in this game.

a few years ago i read an essay on the internet from some guy about ff7's inner meanings/interpretations and it might be of interest for you guys. he covered alot of mythologies of the names and plots and also triangles between many of the characters. it's quite a read with bad paragraph structure, but it's interesting nonetheless.

personally, ff7 is not my fav ff game. i liked ff6 and ff tactics alot better, but i can see why ff7 was a personal fav for many.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    MMMmmmm... FFVII is THE greatest RPG of all time. Of course, my friend would murder me for not agreeing that FFVI and Chrono Trigger were the best, but oh, well.

And yes, I do agree with the idea that FFVII's timing was great. New(ish) system, 3D graphics still thought to be "new", first Multi-disc RPG (I think... I know it's the first 3-disc RPG), and a kick-a** story.

Oh, yeah. And the sound. OWA is the GREATEST! Next to *mumble, mumble* (Ryke12 gets dragged off and beat for sacrilege)

I'm just happy they're continuing the franchise of FFVII. What with Advent Children (which should be better than that OTHER FF movie which NEVER EXISTED) coming soon (or so they say), and Dirge of Cerberus, Squarenix are looking at some pretty big hits.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    I personally believe that ChronoTrigger and CronoCross are both better. I've explained my feelings about it on the Best FF thread, let me add though that the ending ticked me off sifficiently to ruin what little enjoyment I had had in the game.

That said I can see why it is held on a pedestal. The graphics were truly revolutionary and started a new age of RPG's. No game has accomplished as much for the genre as FFVII. So I will give it it's due.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maverickvns
    it was probably because ff7 was a complete package and what people consider to be the standard of what an rpg should have. the materia system was one of the most innovative magic system at the time and still is today. the story being set in the present/future probably had people relate more to the characters. the tension and interest apparent between the characters were without a doubt gripping, you couldn't help but cheer on the characters.
    I agree with that. There's sooo many shitty RPG's out there, and FFVII holds true to what the standard is (well, for me). You're also right about how the materia system/ magic, and how lovable the character and story are... I can play VII over and over and over and over and over and over... if you get it.
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Otaku Wobbuffetking may be famous one day Wobbuffetking may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I would personally say that FFVII was probably one of the worst Final Fantasies in the series. It's not because it's overhyped either (not to mention that it's also overated). People like it so much because it was the first Final Fantasy (Even though FFIII came out before FFVII. It deserved more hype than FFVII by a mile) to make it big and also because it was one of those RPGs that got others into RPGs.

I'm not saying that FFVII is a bad game because it definately isn't. I loved the materia system and the customization that it gave your characters but the battle system really wasn't too special. There was also character development lacking in some of the characters. It felt as if some of the characters weren't meant to be in the game. The story feel apart at the end also.
    Last edited by Wobbuffetking; Apr 16, 2005 at 09:32 PM.
    Too cool for a sig.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast