Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FF9 ripping off other game's ideas?

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks

FF9 ripping off other game's ideas?

I was thinking and I realized two ideas that FF9 had used that are similar to two other sleeper-hit RPG games that were released and made earlier.

1) Legend of Legaia- The 'Mist' makes monsters go wild and crazy that they start attacking people. There is also 'Mist' in FF9 which comes out from the Iifa tree that have an adverse effect on monsters as well.

2) Wild Arms- Cecilia the Princess cuts off her hair after she decides she wants a change of life and wants people to respect her for herself and not as a princess. Also because she wans to get back the "Tear Drop". In FF9, Princess Garnet cuts off her hair with the same reason. Cecilia asks the sword from Jack, and Princess Garnet asks a dagger from Zidane.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore FF9 and it's one of my favourite FFs ever! I was just thinking of these similarities. However, I'm not sure if Legend of Legaia and Wild Arms have ripped off any ideas of games released earlier than that.

....and what about YOU?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know anything about the use of mist but I do know that your second example (cutting hair and asking for a weapon) are culturally significant. I'm not surprised it has been used more then once.

Maybe someone can back me on this, I don't have the time to look up references for you. *shrugs*

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Here I am to back you up, Arrianna .

Eh.. for cutting off hair, may I refer you to "Mononoke Hime", and some other old-time-based anime? Another, good, appropriate example would be "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". Wow, Hayao really uses this "cutting of hair" to an extreme...

And the mist is probably pure coincidence. Many games have random excuses for why monsters appear in a seemingly unprepared world.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    If people wanna make money they have to steel, but steeling from FF9 (check my sig.) that is pathetic.

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lord nikon
    If people wanna make money they have to steel, but steeling from FF9 (check my sig.) that is pathetic.
    I don't quite get your point.

Lol, I think you guys are getting a very wrong interpretion of my post? I don't mean any ill feelings. :] In fact, I do think it's coincidental but just wondering if anyone else thought differently as well. However, I still do think that Squaresoft is a very respectable company and won't rip off other game's ideas.

Otaku Gin Nightingale may be famous one day Gin Nightingale may be famous one day Gin Nightingale's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know about the mist thing but I would agree with ryke12 's explanation.

As for the hair cutting bit, well, cutting off one's hair is a common symbol for wanting to over again or something of the like. Fore example, a girl's boyfriend dumps her so she goes and have a haircut. Or for example, a girl lost someone whom she loves so she swears never to cut her hair until she manages to find him somewhere out there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Nightingale
    I don't know about the mist thing but I would agree with ryke12 's explanation.

As for the hair cutting bit, well, cutting off one's hair is a common symbol for wanting to over again or something of the like. Fore example, a girl's boyfriend dumps her so she goes and have a haircut. Or for example, a girl lost someone whom she loves so she swears never to cut her hair until she manages to find him somewhere out there.

Huh, really?!? Lol, I'm sorry then. I didn't know that. :]

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Also, and more to the point, and someone japanese can help with this cuz I don't know if its right or not, but the cutting of the hair is a sign of rebellion and also a sign of giving in to someone's wishes as well. Which is very paradoxical since according to FF9 Garnet does it in order to liberate herself from her past, but in Japanese history, the Samurai sometimes had their top-knots cut off symbolizing a demoralizing of the person or the samurai. My reference is The Last Samurai when the police want the kid samurai to cut off his top-knot. This could be a reason for putting it in the game. An academic paradox in FF9, but I could be reading to much into it.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast