Thread: Firewall type

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Firewall type

I heard that a hardware firewall is better than a software firewall. Mainly because it makes your computer not register with viruses as "a computer"

Is this actually true, because I have both, and viruses still get picked up on my software. Does that mean it doesn't work like that, or are the viruses just "special"??

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

It's some what more complicated then that. As far as implementation of 'Firewalls', the basic clasifications are commercial duty gateway firewalls (such as those produced by Checkpoint) used to isolate internal networks from the Internet, simple hardware based Firewalls, usually implemented in simple DSL routers and cable modems, and software based Firewalls that run on individual hosts. In addition, there are now Firewall implementations that are a part of a Motherboard chipset (NVIDIA nForce 3 and 4). The problem with this Firewall clasification, is that it tells where the Firewall is implemented, but not what a Firewall does.

A more exact definitions of Firewalls is if the Firewall is Circuit level ( either allows or disallows a connection, but doesn't care about the data ) or an Application Gateway ( which reassembles the Data from the packet stream and checks it before passing it on...) As an example, a Email trojan/virus would be missed by a Circuit level based Firewall, because Email is allowed, while an Email Application Gateway would catch it as it reassembles the message before delivery....

Only the corperate heavy duty Firewalls will use Application Gateways. everything else are simple Circuit level based firewalls. (So yes, you still need that Anti-Virus Program with that installed Firewall) As far as the difference between hardware and software firewalls, hardware based have a slight advantage, as their less likely to have their settings changed by a Trojan program or through misconfiguration. Otherwise, from the network point of view, their both about the same....
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    GRAUUGHHHAA!!! YESYESYESYES!!! what a most clarifying awnser!

I knew that two heads are better than one, but not why. That makes a load of understandability.

*bows to the master*