Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Foreigners pay three times the amount for college

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Foreigners pay three times the amount for college

Is it fair? In the college I've applied to, instead of paying the regular $5,000, I must pay $10,000 more just for a year's tuition. Is it fair? How many other kids are in my situation? During the three years we have to wait for that green card (stating the holder to be a permanent resident) to be processed, we college students have to pay the "alien" fee, we don't have the right to financial aid and we recieve very few, if any, scholarships. That's three out of four years of college.

Why do I have to pay $10,000 more when I've lived here for 10 years of my life? Why is it there, anyways, these limits set for international students? It takes enough money to get over here; enough money to apply for all those employment authorization cards, green cards, visas, social security cards; enough money to settle in. Why make it harder on us?

America is a great place to go to college. I just want a better education than I can get in my home country.
    関西は最高やねん

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Re: Foreigners pay three times the amount for college

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan
    Is it fair? In the college I've applied to, instead of paying the regular $5,000, I must pay $10,000 more just for a year's tuition. Is it fair? How many other kids are in my situation? During the three years we have to wait for that green card (stating the holder to be a permanent resident) to be processed, we college students have to pay the "alien" fee, we don't have the right to financial aid and we recieve very few, if any, scholarships. That's three out of four years of college.

Why do I have to pay $10,000 more when I've lived here for 10 years of my life? Why is it there, anyways, these limits set for international students? It takes enough money to get over here; enough money to apply for all those employment authorization cards, green cards, visas, social security cards; enough money to settle in. Why make it harder on us?

America is a great place to go to college. I just want a better education than I can get in my home country.
    I think it's about security, but also about an open predjudice against foreigners.

Otaku millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan
    I'm thinking it makes it more fair for the people that already live in America. Its hard enough to get into, and afford to go to college if you live there, and as unfair as it is to international students, the people who are born there should get first dibs at going to school there. I'm assuming they figure if a person from another country can afford to travel and live in another country, they have to be willing and able to pay more for their education there. Sure it sucks, but I can see how it makes sense in a way.

Besides, if you really want to get annoyed look at Europe. They pay way less then a regular Canadian and American Uni student does for their education. *Is way jealous*

Laid Back Otaku Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: Foreigners pay three times the amount for college

how unfair... uhh.. my cousin is saving up for college in the US and is a foreigner, but i'm not sure if she's in the same situation... yeah, i still think that's a serious injustice...

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

wow that sounds bad, but isn't the american dream got something to do with people being able to go there and lead a good life?
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

This is the normal case with most state subsidized college systems. The idea is that state residence (who's families have paid state income and property taxes) have already contributed to the support of the state funded college system, and get a break on the tuition. The entire purpose of the state funding for colleges is to provide higher education services for tax paying citizens of the state, and provide a professional trained labor force to enhance local industries. Non state residence students (who's parents have not contributed to the support of the state college system) have to pay the full costs.

In California (with both the University of California, and California State College systems) non-Californian students have to pay the higher fee rate. This applies to students from other US states, as well as Foreigners
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

You know I'm sorry you guys have to pay more because I pay ridiculous prices and I already live here. Colleges, just wow, all I can say is I hope it works out for me in the long run because they have sucked it out of me. As for the foreigner thing I'm not gonna say its right or wrong, all I can say is I feel your pain, just not as much I guess.

Otaku GSXR600K1 may be famous one day GSXR600K1 may be famous one day GSXR600K1's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is right to pay more. I been living in this state for a long time and been paying for state taxes for a while. I hate if someone comes along and haven't been paying taxes get the same deduction like I do.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast