Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Foreigners pay three times the amount for college

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Foreigners pay three times the amount for college

It all depends on which angle you look at it from. It sucks for foreigners cause they have to pay so much money. But it would be unfair for the citizens that have lived here their entire lives in the US and pay their taxes if the foreigners who just came to this country got the same benefits as the citizens. So it depends on how you look at it. But my opinion is that its ok cause I have lived here forever I deserve some kind of a break.

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

In most states it's not that foreigners pay more, it's that people who were not born in that state pay more. If you've lived in Pennsilvania all your life and go to college in New York, your tuition is going to be very high, the same if you've lived in Italy all your life.

Vampire Prince Archery 2000 Champion kakashi_sensei may be famous one day kakashi_sensei may be famous one day kakashi_sensei's Avatar
    Thanks

It's nothing else, but racism... they'r afraid of foreigners taking over this country.....that's why they put those rules cuz they know it's hard for us to pay that amount of money!! ..ggrr.. grrr i hate racism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

How is it racism if others from the same country (different state) pay the same amount you are?

It's no different then Canada's socialized medicine. I lived in Canada (BC) for 16 months and with the exception of the free clinics I had to pay my own way on health care. No free medical or eyecare for me. But, I'm not a citizen. I hadn't been paying the taxes. Makes perfect sense to me.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoonUnit
    Besides, if you really want to get annoyed look at Europe. They pay way less then a regular Canadian and American Uni student does for their education. *Is way jealous*
    Yeah, but they pay more tax, right? Like Germany pays more than half of their income in tax, but they get free medical and free college.

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

This is the normal case with most state subsidized college systems. The idea is that state residence (who's families have paid state income and property taxes) have already contributed to the support of the state funded college system, and get a break on the tuition. The entire purpose of the state funding for colleges is to provide higher education services for tax paying citizens of the state, and provide a professional trained labor force to enhance local industries. Non state residence students (who's parents have not contributed to the support of the state college system) have to pay the full costs.

In California (with both the University of California, and California State College systems) non-Californian students have to pay the higher fee rate. This applies to students from other US states, as well as Foreigners
    I understand the whole out-of-state fee thing. This is the out-of-state fee for the college I'm applying to:

Wisconsin resident: $5,188
    Minnesota resident: $5,541
    Nonresident: $15,234 (!!!)

So it's just coz we haven't been paying taxes that we must pay this much? And still, we don't get scholarships or financial aid like all americans do.
    Last edited by Sei-chan; Aug 15, 2005 at 09:19 AM.
    関西は最高やねん

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

In Europe it's less expensive because it's more social, however people have to pay more taxes, and in some countries it can be incredible (you pay three times the price of a house or car in denmark if you buy one there ie).

Also if you don't have a lot of money, one year of uni falls to 115 euros (in Belgium at least). I pay 730 euros a year which is the original price, because I'm better off.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

It's sad really, but I do understand why it's needed. Like everyone mentioned, the main thing is, non-citizens are not paying taxes. I have a friend who's been in school in Canada as a visa student for about 7 years now, all of highschool and 3 years of university. She went to boarding school for highschool, and the prices were outrageous. She paid MORE at the highschool than what she's paying now in University!! how is THAT fair?

But again, I don't see why, if you're not a citizen, why you should get the financial aid that the government gives to it's citizens which comes from the tax money OF the citizens? How is that not fair? Scholarships you can also look for within your home country. There's a good number of scholarships just for international students.

The other bad/sad thing is that most visa students can't get a job within the country they're studying in, which further makes it harder to pay for the education. Luckily, our school is working towards obtaining special permits to work for international students, and all of them can work within campus legally. But I agree, if the country/school wants more international students to come to their school, they should offer more (they already DO help) aid to the students who want to come, but don't necessarily have all the financial ability to do so.

In any case, price of uni/college education has been rising and rising...the fact that some degrees are substantially more costly than others, is also quite sad, but that's for another time.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

I have to pay 1/3 more for college in my state. I got good grades in HS, but I didn't qualify for a LOT of scholarships. And it's all because I'm not from the US. I've been here for 13 years. It's not just about taxes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast