Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Free Will

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

Free Will

Do we have it? Explain.

P.S I don't want any simple "Yes" or "No". YOu Back you answer up with compelling reasons for your conclusion.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Are you asking 'Is everything we do pre-ordained? That everything happens because it was ment to happen, or will personal choice actually effect your own destiny?'

Or are you asking that 'Free Will' is a illusion, and that the choices that we make are dependent on our upbringing, education, cultural exposure, and that very few people have the courage and determination to question their own personal beliefs and advance beyond them???

Or... Or... Or... (This subject is not well defined enough for a good debate topic.. exactly what are we talking about here???)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    If I may?

free will
    n.

1. The ability or discretion to choose; free choice: chose to remain behind of my own free will.
    2. The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will.

And just to stir up the pot a little: (substitute "free will" for the phrase "free agency".)

"The meaning of the word liberty is difficult to circumscribe. Abraham Lincoln was of the opinion that “the world has never had a good definition of [the term]. We all declare for liberty,” he said; “but in using the same word we do not mean the same thing. With some, the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself and the product of his labor; while with others [liberty] may mean for some men to do as they please with other men and the product of other men’s labor.”

Again he said, “The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep’s throat, for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act.” (Address, 18 Apr. 1864; quoted in John Bartlett, Familiar Quotations, 15th ed., Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1980, p. 523.)

The issues have changed since the time of Lincoln, but the multipurpose use of the word liberty and its synonym freedom has not changed. The sweets of liberty about which we usually speak may be classified as (1) political independence, (2) economic freedom, and (3) free agency

With respect to the loss of personal liberty through the misuse of free agency, our daily lives are filled with tragic evidence. We see the alcoholic with his craving for drink, the dope fiend in his frenzy, and worse, the pervert with his irretrievable loss of manhood. Who will say that such persons enjoy liberty?

Notwithstanding the fact that through its misuse, political, economic, and personal liberty are lost, free agency will always endure because it is an eternal principle. However, the free agency possessed by any one person is increased or diminished by the use to which he puts it. Every wrong decision one makes restricts the area in which he can thereafter exercise his agency. The further one goes in the making of wrong decisions in the exercise of free agency, the more difficult it is for him to recover the lost ground. One can, by persisting long enough, reach the point of no return. He then becomes an abject slave. By the exercise of his free agency, he has decreased the area in which he can act, almost to the vanishing point.

Just as following wrong alternatives restricts free agency and leads to slavery, so pursuing correct alternatives widens the scope of one’s agency and leads to perfect liberty. As a matter of fact, one may, by this process, obtain freedom of the soul while at the same time being denied political, economic, and personal liberty."

Marion G. Romney, “The Perfect Law of Liberty,” Ensign, Nov. 1981, 43

PS. Forgive me, it is sunday.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Free will, well in the sense that no one can actually make you do or say anything, than yes.

However, free will in making your own choices, sometimes does not exist, mostly just in kids. Like this 16 year old kid was telling me he wanted to go to Job Corps, but he needed his parents signature, however his parents think its a bad idea, therefore he can't go.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah, I think there is. Of course anything that precious has its limits, so you're never totally free. It depends on how free you think free will is.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe that "The only way to predict the future is to create it." . It's like the usual Star Wars line "What you become depends on what choices YOU make, Anakin.".

There are things which sadly we cannot change, but in my opinion, we are the makers of our own destiny.

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Are you asking 'Is everything we do pre-ordained? That everything happens because it was ment to happen, or will personal choice actually effect your own destiny?'

Or are you asking that 'Free Will' is a illusion, and that the choices that we make are dependent on our upbringing, education, cultural exposure, and that very few people have the courage and determination to question their own personal beliefs and advance beyond them???

Or... Or... Or... (This subject is not well defined enough for a good debate topic.. exactly what are we talking about here???)
    Do we have the ability to actually do what we want, or are all the choices we make actually predetermined by a higher force.

For example:

If given the exact same situation again with no sense of deja vu you choose the same thing, couldn't it be argued that your "will" is predetermined by your beliefs and experiences, and therefore you don't actually choose to do what you do; rather, your internal goings on control you?
    Last edited by KenX; May 22, 2005 at 05:49 PM.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenX
    If given the exact same situation again with no sense of deja vu you choose the same thing, couldn't it be argued that your "will" is predetermined by your beliefs and experiences, and therefore you don't actually choose to do what you do; rather, your internal goings on control you?
    I agree with that, i do think to some extent that fate or destiny comes into play more than anything else. Going by personal experience i have to agree with that thesis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast