Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Speech

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Freedom of Speech

Freedom of speech is another big topic for me as I said before I like to express my opinions, but I don't quite understand the concept as a whole.I thought everyone was allowed to share their ideas and opinions...I heard on the news that an artist currently painted something stating his view on the war and it was against it and against President Bush and I am happy to say it is still put up in a historical museum near d.c. Many people protested to throw it out...and thats where I don't understand? Just because it's against the president it has to go? I mean you could say it's unconstitutional but it's not like he wants the president assassinated...he just disagreed with his decision is that so wrong? many people found it offensive, but I have to agree with what the museum owner said,"If you don't like it, don't look at it. Everyone has the right to expressing their thoughts,opinions, and ideas."Right on....museum owner.I'm all for it.What do you think?

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Freedom of Speech

You're right, we all shuold have the freedom to say what we want. But that is to a certain and reasonale extent. If al the over opinionated airheads out there had free reign over what is said and displayed in this world, we would decide that freedom of speech sucks. those who complained about the picture and protested it are simply excercising thier own freedom of speech. as long as the government doesn't interfere, then there is no problem. Freedom of speech is simply one of those (and yes, I know it's cliche) double edged swords.

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink Re: Freedom of Speech

Yeah, I agree with you there. Just all of us be glad that we don't live in a country where if you try to express your opinions and views against the main gov't through art, or writing that we don't get our heads/hands severed. People are so testy when it comes to freedom of speech, mainly because they use it as a way to shut some of the politicians up. "Sure we all want to be able to express ourselves freely, its part of our consitutional rights!" But what people DON'T realize is that others may not feel so strongly about "constitutional rights" when it may dis or go against their political party. You see what I'm saying? This world is full of snobby politicians who care mainly about their monthly paychecks and not enough about us. But back to the main point, freely expressing ourselves, as long as it doesn't harm anyone shouldn't be viewed as a crime! After all, it is a part of our Constitutional Rights.

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly! See, this is why I REFUSE to get caught up in polotics. It's just a catfight between rich, old, and often corrupt men/women. I prefer to focus my attention elsewhere. Sure there are quite a few "good" poloticians, but not enough to sway the rest. Anyway, I'm done ranting about polotics, i'm starting to sound lika a polotician.

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Freedom of Speech

Yeah I agree with you guys....I'm not a big politic person so I don't get into that. Yes I do believe there is that line that you shouldn't cross when it comes to freedom of speech and I respect that. How you said it was a double edged sword, I never thought of it that way...freedom of speech cancels out because someone is saying this and then someone is saying something else but each person is excersizing their right...Freedom of speech is just a battle of thoughts by opinionated people...and just as long as they don't cross that line everything is fine ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel1292
    Yeah I agree with you guys....I'm not a big politic person so I don't get into that. Yes I do believe there is that line that you shouldn't cross when it comes to freedom of speech and I respect that. How you said it was a double edged sword, I never thought of it that way...freedom of speech cancels out because someone is saying this and then someone is saying something else but each person is excersizing their right...Freedom of speech is just a battle of thoughts by opinionated people...and just as long as they don't cross that line everything is fine ..

Very, very well put.

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah, I say screw the politicians! Thats what makes this world jacked up. I mean, look at Hilary Clinton. We're screwed if she gets elected into office after Bush's term is up. But back to this, you're right. Way to go! lol!
    btw- My adopted parents want me to become a senator, but I'm like, FORGET THAT!

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Thanks

Parents have expectations, although not always in your best interest. But, you have to look at it from thier point of view, though I'm not saying to do what they expect of you. Just don't get mad at what they want out of you. Example, my parents wanted me to ba a lawyer, yeah right. They just wanted me to make more money than them and be better off. But when they see what happens when I get into game design, they'll see that I knew what I was doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast