Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Speech

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Freedom of Speech

lol, I get your point. I'm still struggling with the fact that they're not even my real parents, so why should I even listen to them?? (I think I'll start a thread about that...) lol! But yeah, they just want me to get a high-paying job that will reflect them perfectly, and so they can get as much attention as possible for anything that I achieve.
    I'm shooting for the stars right now b/c I REALLY want to become an astronaut. So I'm trying my best to show them that I will help our country and planet discover so much more than just another petty issue to debate about in Congress...lol!

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

He he, nice. My parents just want to loaf off of me. I already give them money, and make freakin' hotel reservations!!! I don't get it. lol

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: Freedom of Speech

Yeah my parents are the same way....they are just looking out for me i guess...I mean i'm like the perfect student so....but as soon as my mom runs into someone and starts talking to them she tells them all my great achievements. It's annoying, but later on I feel proud of myself..

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Freedom of Speech

damn! you should tell them to leave you alone! (*points to Zarriff*) I know being in the hotel business is a good thing, but they shouldn't use u for everything ur worth! ( i may be way wrong here since I don't know anything. sorry in advance!) btw we are SO off topic!!!

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel1292
    Freedom of speech is another big topic for me as I said before I like to express my opinions, but I don't quite understand the concept as a whole.
    GuardianAngel did a pretty good job.

freedom of speech
    : the right to express information, ideas, and opinions free of government restrictions based on content and subject only to reasonable limitations (as the power of the government to avoid a clear and present danger) esp. as guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment XIV
    Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Basically you can say whatever you want as long as it's done peacably and doesn't present a "clear and present danger". Example: You cannot shout fire in a crowded building. You cannot make public information that will compromise national security. During war you cannot publish information that will result in the deaths of citizens or soldiers by enemies of the "state". You cannot call for the assasination of a President of the US. Most importantly though, you CAN tell the government what you think of it without fear, and that is a big deal.

Freedom of speech is a uniqely US concept. There are other countries with variations but not to the degree the US has. Does anyone know what their speech laws are in their country?

*just bringing it back on topic*

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna

Amendment XIV
    Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Amendment XIV simply sais that the law cannot do anything tyranical and that the government cannot kill you, throw you in jail, or take anything from you without a fair trial.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I know, but people talking about freedom of speech refer to it all the time. I believe it's the "nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws" that they are talking about.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Yeah, I know, but people talking about freedom of speech refer to it all the time. I believe it's the "nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws" that they are talking about.
    Now I see what you mean. My bad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast