Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Speech

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Freedom of Speech

My theory is that you can say or do whatever you want as long as you don't mess with the government. Then you do what they say cause they will screw you over and make your life hell. Remember they sign the social security checks when you retire.

Otaku death_knight may be famous one day death_knight may be famous one day death_knight's Avatar
    Thanks

i'm not american therefore the freedom of speech ammendment really doesn't apply to me. however what i'ld like to point out is freedom of speech becomes a real touchy topic becasue its not the law or the politicians that are affected and not pleased with what is said [ either through music, text or ne form of expression ] but the people. as long as there are conflicting religions, morals or simply put difference of oppinions in people [ as it probably will always be the case] then true freedom of speech or more rightly put expression can never really exist.

thats just my take on it.
    Last edited by death_knight; Jul 30, 2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: wasn't finished posting oppinion
    Opensources is where my heart is
    Ishida Uryuu - The true one winged angel

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree that freedom of speech is a touchy subject because of the different views of people. However, ansolute freedom of speech can and does exist to a certain extent. The only problem is that you have to be willing to accept the flack you're going to catch as a result of what YOU said. It's freedom, but fredom doesn't protect you from yourself.

Otaku death_knight may be famous one day death_knight may be famous one day death_knight's Avatar
    Thanks

do you realize that certain subjects you are not allowed to comment on. namely religous ones and at times political ones. some things that happen in this world we the people will never know, and those stories will never touch the light of day. do you think its because no one wanted to speak about i??
    Opensources is where my heart is
    Ishida Uryuu - The true one winged angel

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    i'm not american therefore the freedom of speech ammendment really doesn't apply to me.
    That's why I asked "Does anyone know what their speech laws are in their country?".

If someone speaks out against the government in Jamaica what hapens?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    i'm not american therefore the freedom of speech ammendment really doesn't apply to me. .
    Maybe not but since Jamaican law is pretty much the same as British law there should be free expression statutes written in there somewhere.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku Lady Karasu I'l Myoshin may be famous one day Lady Karasu I'l Myoshin may be famous one day Lady Karasu I'l Myoshin's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL... as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as true free speech. All our laws manage to do is keep non-standard opinionated people (like meself) from getting killed for opening their mouths. Which works for me, but we still have a LONG way to go.

My LiveJournal --- Tierra de los Meurtos

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

In the past, the US laws protecting 'Freedom of Speech' and 'Freedom of the Press' have been abridged or suspended during times of war. The restrictions that are in place now for the 'War on Terror' is minor compared to the steps taken in the past. The first significant case would be during the Civil War when President Lincoln suspended constitutional protections and made it a federal crime to criticize goverment war actions. During WWI and WWII, it was common to have articles, sections and pages of newspapers and magazine blanked out by military censors. One of the early works of the science fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon almost got censored in the 'Amazing Stories' magazine because it made mention of a new horrible super weapon. (and this was before the A-bomb was dropped...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast