Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G8 summit and Live 8

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks

G8 summit and Live 8

As many of you probably know, Bob Geldof recently finished the Live 8 concerts. There was one in the UK (London), Japan (Tokyo), Russia (Moscow), USA (Philidephia), Italy (Rome) and Germany (Berlin) in which the biggest stars in music performed in this one day mega concert.

The idea was to put pressure on the world leaders attending the G8 summit (8 leaders of the worlds 8 richest countries) to 'make poverty history' but hugely increasing aid to Africa and wiping all African debt (which I find funny since Africa isn't the only place in the world extreme poverty).

However... this has sparked all kinds of debates, mainly 'how on earth do you end something like poverty'? George Bush has already said he would double US aid to Africa. Tony Blair says he wants to make the UK the flagship of anti-poverty activity (though when he'll actually do this remains a mystery). I'm not sure what the other G8 members are doing though.

However, is simply increasing aid enough? There is already the problem of currupt African governmets using aid money on weapons and siezing aid shipments at ports (Zimbabwe). Also, I heard informed predictions that many African nations will only run into crippling debt once again (as soon as 10 years) after their current debts are forgiven... even if aid does make it through to the right people.
    I believe the key to really ending poverty in Africa is to bring about fairer trade, and encourage multinational corperations that empoly people in Africa to pay them better. You know, give Africa a chance to work itself out of poverty?

There is no doubt that aid helps millions of Africans, and I applude the efforts of aid workers making a difference. As for Bob Geldof, I think he honstly cares about the starving people in Africa and isn't just trying to make himself look good. But I just can't shake the feeling that he's going about it the wrong way if he really wants to 'make poverty history'...

My question is this:

Do you think that the Live 8 concerts will really end poverty like the organisers said it could, or do you think it will go down in history as a well meaning but ill fated attempt to change the world?

And in case you look at this topic and wonder 'who cares?' You should know that an African child dies every 3 seconds from hunger, thirst or malnutrition. Things nobody should ever have to die from.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: G8 summit and Live 8

Whew. I love you Sib.

I believe the Live 8 concerts did nothing but spread awareness of what is happening all over the world. If only, now we could get society and take action. I support one.org
    Seduced by Flesh

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

I once watch this movie (not documentary) about how doctors go over to africa to help sick children...and there was this one part that was shocking/not so shocking where a father had two bowls of food for his son and daughter, but what he did he took both bowls and gave it to his son...

so instead of just pumping in money, perhaps what needs to be done is money, materials, and education about stuff like AIDS and what not...As for corrupted governments those are the ones that 1st world countries are suppose to step in and help, but then again we are pretty corrupted ourselves...anyways guess the leaders should follow that saying about instead of giving a man a fish, they should teach them how to fish

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku GamesTesterJan may be famous one day GamesTesterJan may be famous one day GamesTesterJan's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe the Live 8/G8 will simple go down in history as a well meaning but ill fated attempt to change the world.
    Sure africa could use that money but hang on a minute Africa has resources that could be sold such as 1 Oil and 2 Diamonds and jewells, also i've heard that if this money goes to Africa the US will get 25% of the Oil from Africa and Nigeria i dont know how that happend.

Quite frankly i think giving that money to a place like Africa wont benifit the world at all, in the end of the day sure it will save some lives but what can Africa do for the economy of the whole world nothing. If that money were to be given to a place such as China for example as you know China is a great manufacturer of goods as fare as anything goes, but China requires more resources for themselves such as nuclear power plants and even simple things such as water pipes, also the crime over there is a big problem especially piracy.

So the way i see it is if the money goes to China the world as a whole can benifit nicely but if the money goes to Africa we can feel slighly better about ourselves, here in the UK there was actaully a demonstration in Edingbrough about all this giving the money to Africa i would have attended but i had to work shame.Jan

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

we also had a concert in Barrie (north of Toronto, in Canada).

Personally I think it will spread awareness but kinda lose its steam and go down into history quietly. This is just not how you "force" leaders of countries into increasing aid (and in turn increase their own debts). Our prime minister stated that we're already put in billions (i think around 3) in aid to Africa and cannot afford more at this time. This is something which I and other Canadians think is true to some extent. A lot of it isn't just as simple as, ok lets give another 3 billion to Africa, cuz hey, we got tonnes of excess money that we just pucked off of our money tree. Speaking for Canada, we don't have tonnes of money to fling around (despite the sponsorship scandal), we have debts too. It's a good step towards the right direction, but there's still a long way to go. More that needs to be done.

There's a lot more that needs to happen than just a simple concert and a threat to world leaders. The general public will have to be willing to deal with higher taxes, reduced benefits from the government which will result from the shifting of money so that there can be increase in aid. It all sounds fine and dandy at the concert, but it's just....not that simple. But just how many people are willing to deal with the consequences is a different story. Even if something does happen and drastic changes are taken to increase aid, like other trends, once the noise dies down, money will creep away from aid once again into other "pressing issues" which the general population of these rich countries see are more imporant than helping poorer countries.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    The idea was to put pressure on the world leaders attending the G8 summit (8 leaders of the worlds 8 richest countries) to 'make poverty history' but hugely increasing aid to Africa and wiping all African debt (which I find funny since Africa isn't the only place in the world extreme poverty).
    My question is this: wouldn't doing something like erasing all of Africa's debt WHILE giving more money to it cause a HUGE amount of chaos in the economy around the world?
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks

Pyoro: Hmm, can you remember what the film was called? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth behind what the film depicted though. The simple truth is that poverty favors males over females, as it males who can supposedly do the most work (hence more money/food/whatever).

Also, i'm glad you raised AIDS there. I don't have the figures, but i've come to understand that the money used so far in the Iraq war could have treated the 28 million people suffering from AIDS Africa. Since I think most people agree that the Iraqi war was a total waste of time (and if anything has only made the world less safe), I think it says alot about how we like to spend money and about how much good the US an the UK could really do in the world.

Games: Good thing you didn't go to those demos, as I hear they had abit of trouble.

I share your confusion over how exports seem to lose Africa money, and yes, Africa is very resource rich. I don't know about Oil, but Africa certainly has massive deposits of valuable ore and minerals. However, I think the real potential in Africa comes from it's agricultural power which is simply enormous... though be it somewhat contridictory considering how many starving people there are there.

Angelan: Oops, I always forget about Canada ^^;. Nothing personal though.

I think you and me are on the same page though. I'm not sure what our Prime Minister plans to do about Africa either... afterall, Tony Blair has already said he wants to tackle global warming and make the UK enviromently friendly. How on earth he plans to do both is beyond me as each one in itself is a massive and expensive task.

ryke12: Not really. It is very possible.

As I said, the money spent by the US and UK on the Iraq war could have treated 28 million people suffering from AIDS. The money the US spent on the war in Vietnam could have given the entire Vietnamese population one of the highest standards of living in the world.

It's not a question of spending MORE money, but a question of spending the money we currently have elsewhere. So if this US 'war president' were to suddenly become a more 'peaceful president' and NOT spend billions of dollars on 200 new jet fighters, submarines, warships and guns... alot of good could be done with harm only befalling the already wealthy arms manufacturers of the US.
    Last edited by Sib; Jul 04, 2005 at 05:43 PM.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    Pyoro: Hmm, can you remember what the film was called?
    well I was hoping you didn't ask, but yeah it wasn't a documentary, just your normal asian soaps about doctors and this non-profit organization

but besides that, my old highschool had a "building with books" club (one of the rare respectable things about our school), and our teacher brought back some pictures and experience. She recalled how the african kids were very formal when seeing a camera (standing up straight, and not smiling) compare to us all with our smugs and stuff...and also the state of indoor or outdoor "plumbing"

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast