Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: G8 summit and Live 8

Newbie andrebsd may be famous one day andrebsd may be famous one day andrebsd's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: G8 summit and Live 8

I think it'll just go down in history as a well meaning, not nessarily an ill fated attempt to change the world though... I don't think a concert of any kind can do more than give awareness of the issue; in some cases proceeds may go to the cause but that normaly doesn't fix the problem in its entirety.

Now awareness can/could change the world over time, it won't be instant though. Many people look at others or organizations who want to change something and ask themselfs the question of "did it work" from a current time perspective; if they see no imediate change it's deemed a "failure". If you look 10 years from now, and people are talking about the concert and doing what they can to help; then yes the concert did change the world.

Newbie Faith may be famous one day Faith may be famous one day Faith's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    If you look 10 years from now, and people are talking about the concert and doing what they can to help; then yes the concert did change the world.
    We can use the example of the original Band Aid in 1985 to answer that question, may I ask, did anyone remember the benifits of the last concerts? Unfortunatly the genral public of the world can only do so much, then its left to the governments and leaders to decide whether its a worth while caurse to follow up.

Personnaly, I feel very strongly that something should be done about the governments of Africa, rather than throwing more money at them- because every year the nations give money, and yet we still see the same images on the tv about the millions dying. I'm not against Live8, I'm very much for it. I just hope that the world leaders take note this time
    Second star to the right- carry on till morning....

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

the G8 summmit is a good idea, however I believe that it is an ill-fated as well. Many leaders will just talk about what to do and how to actually provide this relief effort for Africa however, I believe little will happen as each country has its own interest to think about. This may be selfish, but I believe in order to help other countries, we as a country must first help our own crisises, also Africa is a continent which has been lost for a long time, I really don't think any of this will help. Also, considering the fact that most African countries don't have any government at all, just tribal villages(unlike Iraq), it seems that most of Africa has no real structure, therefore I believe we must deal with that first. Although I do applaud the continued effort to educate people on AIDS. However, I believe this Live 8 concert crap is nothing more than just celebrities trying to pull a publicity stunt, if celebrities really wanted to help, they should make hefty donations to these organizations consistantly instead of putting on a concert so that we as patrons would fit the bill, most celebrities are good for it. Cause lord knows, I make over 6 million dollars over the course of about 6 months.
    Last edited by KnightofNi; Jul 06, 2005 at 12:03 PM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2