View Poll Results: Are you In favor of gay marriage?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 48.44%
  • Undecided

10 15.63%
  • No

23 35.94%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage Is Extended Nationwide in Canada

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gay Marriage Is Extended Nationwide in Canada

My question is, if their married in their own minds, why do they need to be reconized by the state?

To me it is immoral, thats my right to that opinion.

Take this over the top hypothetical situation:

What if all the redneck hillbillys decided to band together and push to be able to marry their cousins. Would you support this? No!! why because its morally wrong, as is gay marriage to me.

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    My question is, if their married in their own minds, why do they need to be reconized by the state?

What if all the redneck hillbillys decided to band together and push to be able to marry their cousins. Would you support this? No!! why because its morally wrong, as is gay marriage to me.

well cousins are allowed to get married.

*edit. OK I just found this info
    No European country prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico to marry your cousin. The USA is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions."
    http://www.cousincouples.com/info/facts.shtml

I guess your Cousins argument kinda backfired. And no surprise that USA is the only country with restrictions.

A better example would be to use polygamy.
    Last edited by Meiwaku; Jun 29, 2005 at 11:46 AM.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks

Incest can cause actual mental/physical problems to children born between two people with genes that are too closely related. It's a poor analogy. With today's child-centric views, "oh noes!" if a child is in any way hurt.

And there are benefits to being recognized by the gov't. All those rights married couples get? Like, possession-wise, or if there's a child and one dies, the spouse gets control of it? Well, not with gay couples. If they have a child through adoption or whatnot, or if one already had a child going into the relationship, only one parent is recognized. If that one dies, the child gets taken away. So yeah, there are many benefits.

Just think of all the reasons any hetero couple would want to get married, and then think about every gay couple who can't have the same rights. THAT is why it's not solely enough to be married "in their own minds".
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

Otaku millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles's Avatar
    Thanks

Because if you're recongized by the State (or Province in this case since its Canada) then you get benefits unmarried couples don't. Plus maybe they just want to be able to hold a piece of paper that says "Yep we're legally married" because to some people it does matter. If a straight couple has that right why can't a gay couple too?

Nobody said you didn't have a right to you're moral opinions either.

Anyways, I'm really proud that we're one of the only three countries to accept this. I honestly do not see what the big deal is. Its two people that love each other and want to get married. It shouldn't matter what their gender is.

Besides straight people who have problems with this need to get over it and look at the statistics of straight marriages. Its about a 50% divorce rate in the States now and probably in other first world countries too. Maybe we should figure out ways to make our own relationships work before we decide to condemn gay ones.

P.S. Moved to Debate and Discuss since both will most likely be occuring.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meiwaku
    well cousins are allowed to get married.

A better example would be to use polygamy.
    I never heard they were allowed to be married. Is this in the US?

Yes polygamy would be a better example. It just boils down to me that I feel its immoral. I dont believe in gay adopting a child either. Come on if you grow up with gay parents, wouldnt that pre-dispose you to the idea that its normal? It wont always happen that way, but its way more likely to. Look at how many children that grow up in a household were the parents smoke, end up doing the same. The same can be said for alcohol. We immulate(COPY) our parents you know.

Otaku millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes polygamy would be a better example. It just boils down to me that I feel its immoral. I dont believe in gay adopting a child either. Come on if you grow up with gay parents, wouldnt that pre-dispose you to the idea that its normal? It wont always happen that way, but its way more likely to. Look at how many children that grow up in a household were the parents smoke, end up doing the same. The same can be said for alcohol. We immulate(COPY) our parents you know.
    It entirely depends on the person. I have a friend whose mother smokes like crazy and is a total drunk. As a result he's NEVER ever touched a cig or drank alcohol. Both disgust him too much. You can use me as an opposite example. Both my parents don't smoke, no one in my family smokes, but I've started smoking. Why? Cuz I felt like it. You're family doesn't soley determine who you are.

Besides I'm sure the tons of gay/lesbian people out there grew up in straight parent families. So how come they aren't straight? Probably cuz you're born the way you are and you're upbringing really has little to do with it.

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you even READ her post? No, it's not in the US. Her quote said "Europe, Canada and Mexico".

"Pre-dispose you to the idea that its normal"? And what's wrong with children growing up respecting "abnormal" ideas?

BTW, do you even live in Canada?

Edit: By the way, my father was an alcoholic, both my parents smoked, my mother still drinks (though in moderation) and my siblings are drunken pot-heads. Guess what? I'm clean as a whistle, and have no desire to do any other those things. What MoonUnit said was right. You're upbringing has little to do with it. Also, her point about gay people having straight parents. Yay for someone who actually has an intelligent point.
    Last edited by Siren; Jun 29, 2005 at 12:00 PM.
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Siren
    Did you even READ her post? No, it's not in the US. Her quote said "Europe, Canada and Mexico".

"Pre-dispose you to the idea that its normal"? And what's wrong with children growing up respecting "abnormal" ideas?

BTW, do you even live in Canada?
    Oh she edited it. It wasnt there at first.
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Jun 29, 2005 at 12:03 PM.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast