View Poll Results: Are you In favor of gay marriage?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 48.44%
  • Undecided

10 15.63%
  • No

23 35.94%
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage Is Extended Nationwide in Canada

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gay Marriage Is Extended Nationwide in Canada

Let me add this. Just because you view something as morally wrong does not mean that it is universally accepted as a moral wrong. I understand if these are your beliefs but what right do YOU have on everyone else to force them to believe what you believe? To make a law saying that Gays and Lesbians CANNOT be married means to force them to follow your same moral beliefs.
    Well doesnt a law saying gay marriage is legal, force you also to believe that gay marriage is morally alright also?

I didnt mean to imply it was morally wrong on a universal scale. I meant it was morally wrong to me.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

um....kay.
    Because it's legal doessn't necessarily imply that you must believe it's morally right. And vice-versa. Let me think of examples.

I'm assuming you're from a faith where, sex before marriage is also a big moral wrong. Or divorce or having multiple sex partners in your life is all morally wrong in the eyes of Christian faith. Simply being Gay is a moral wrong in the eyes of the Church. Believing in multiple Gods is a moral wrong according to the Church.

All of this is legal. To you is it still a moral wrong? Perhaps, I mean, if that's what you believe in your faith. Which brings me to the point of moral wrong being totally subjective in many areas of life.

What I'm also getting at is, what you think is moral wrong is different from what others may think is moral wrong. Law, even tho based on most universally accepted moral wrongs, doesn't mean they're built solid on what any single faith calls...moral wrong. This end, would be a very Un-Canadian.
    Last edited by angelan; Jun 29, 2005 at 12:56 PM.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jao
    Shit, I thought marriage was supposed to be a celebration towards people who care for each other and wish to note their love by devoting their lives to each other.

It has NEVER been about children. Modern religions uses that as an excuse. How is two people of the same gender going through a ceremony that a willing PRIEST/Head-figure(not forced, it isn't a law that they HAVE to do it, but there were churches here doing it before the acts passed anyway, you just couldn't get the paper work. Pegans have been doing it for ages with hand-fastings) performs going to affect the family unit?

It still has a meaning. Because they can't physically have children doesn't mean they can't raise them. Or is that wrong? Because g-d perhaps gave them the same phyical features and the gift of love they're crused in the eyes of a collective misinterpretation and discrimation.

I was really surprised by that statement Arrianna. Sorry to rant at you like that.

[J]
    I seem to surprise you alot.

Ther's a few things you are all forgetting. One, "Marriage" is recognized as a religious union and as such has moral implications. A Civil Union is a State sanctioned union with all the rights and privilages there-of. They didn't say that they were making Civil Unions legal, they said they were making Marriages legal, and oh by the way we'll put in a clause so any religion who doesn't follow through won't lose their tax-free status. Second, "Marriage" has a traditional meaning of man+woman (women) = children. It's not a modern meaning and in spite of what people tell you until the last 50 years it was pretty much world wide no matter what the religion. Those who are incapable of having children can adopt. To get married with the intent of never having children so you won't be "trapped" in the relationship trivializes the relationship and usually sets it up for failure. We have a thread on childlessness that highlights this perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caz-chan
    I am selfish in this you see, I personally do not want to be tied down to someone for the rest of my life.
    My friend asked - 'But isnt that what marriage is about?'. Technically yes, but if I wished to I could leave that marriage.
    Add to that the fact that whether people like it or not studies have shown that children do best in a (non-dysfunctional) nuclear family. A father and mother. With rising divorce and single parent homes there is also a corresponding rise in juvinal delinquency and crime. We need to create a society kind to children and concerned for the future if they are to flourish. Not one that cares more about our selfish desires and wants over our children and society.

Facts are facts. In countries where same-sex "Marriages" are legal, marriage and civil unions in general has declined and ceased to have meaning. So I ask you, what does that mean for the children?

It's not about discrimination, it's not about the right to do as you please, it's about the children.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Add to that the fact that whether people like it or not studies have shown that children do best in a (non-dysfunctional) nuclear family. A father and mother. With rising divorce and single parent homes there is also a corresponding rise in juvinal delinquency and crime. We need to create a society kind to children and concerned for the future if they are to flourish. Not one that cares more about our selfish desires and wants over our children and society.
    Exactly!!

Sometimes a kid needs a mother or father. In same sex marriages their missing one of those.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

actually Arrianna, BILL C-38 is "An Act respecting certain aspects of legal capacity for marriage for civil purposes" this is the bill that was passed in the house last night.

Link to the bill

We are discussing "civil marriage" this is perhaps different for US? Perhaps Canadians are using the word marriage too loosely.

If the bill was against what you stated in your post, Arrianna, then yes I would agree with you, hence my stance on these "marriages" in Churches or places of religious worship where teachings of the traditional definition of marriage is given.

More later...i get off work now =P
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, it is different in the US. Here there is a Civil Marriage (a union presided over by a state recognized minister) and a Civil Union (a union presided over by a judge or representitive of the state). From what the summery of the link you gave me said, in Canada it apears that the State only recognizes Civil Marriages and that since they put in a clause that excuses religions from preforming the ceremony they don't see any legal issues. Different country different rules. My bad.

It is still a religious issue however in spite of that legal difference and it will be interesting to see what your populas will do/not do over the next year. Since you don't have the seperation of types of marriage those who do veiw marriage from a religious point of veiw just might take a stand.

I'm afraid that my second point still stands however.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is it ALWAYS about the children?

Oh noes! The children saw a boobie!

Oh noes! The children saw two females kiss!

Oh noes! The children, the children, the children!

So, these children who are exposed to violence in movies (I have parents bringing in small children to higher rated movies, and I have personally heard "Oh, violence isn't so bad, as long as there is nothing sexual"). I don't understand. Why is it that people will allow their children to see brains splattered on the wall, or decapitation and slasher movies, but once there's a flash of nipple, it's "OH NOES! MY BAYBEE IZ XPOSED 2 NOODITEE!!!11one". Hello! Your child has seen it all before. Human sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of, EVERYONE is involved in it one way or another.

No matter what one does, their kid is going to be exposed to sexuality of ALL sorts, unless you plan to hoard them in your house for the rest of their life and protect them. Is there any proof that children growing up in a house with two moms or two dads turn into delinquents? If they do, it's not because they haven't got a mom and a dad, it's because the parents simply are no good at raising them.
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

Otaku Kiri79 may be famous one day Kiri79 may be famous one day Kiri79's Avatar
    Thanks

I won't certainly have a gay marriage, but as long as two people love eachother, isn't that all that matters?
    I'm not with it, I just respect it.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast