Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To get a mac, or not to get a mac, that is the question

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

To get a mac, or not to get a mac, that is the question

Since my computer died when I moved back with my parents, I've been without a decent computer for ages, and now my work has decided to start carry Apple products.

The one that really cought my eye was their G4 iBook

14" Model
    1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    osX 10.4 Tiger
    60GB ATA/100 4200 rpm HD
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 with 32MB of dedicated DDR SDRAM

All for $1256 Canadian. And since I work for them, I can get it on a credit play and pay 56 dollars a month for 2 years, no interest (Just have to pay the taxes up front). This is a really sweet deal, and is well with in my price range.

Now, I can also get a really sweet PC rig for almost 500 dollars cheaper (3ghz AMD Athalon 64, 1gig ram, 80 gig drive, 256mb nVida graphics card), but I'm going to be starting College in the fall (Hopefully), and I may need Mobility, and the labtops at my work suck royally.

What my point is, I want to ask those of you who have used PC's in the past, but have since switched to a Mac, what were the Pros/Cons, problems and so on you had when switching.

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: To get a mac, or not to get a mac, that is the question

I will give you what I would look at when getting a Apple laptop and things to consider.

Disadvantages
    1) Gaming: Macs are not for gaming, period. So if your wanting something to play HL2 or Doom 3 then this isn't what you want.

2) Software compatiblity: Because the current macs are on a different OS and Processor Arcitecture you will have to find Mas OS versions of software. This can be a big problem for some when you have a bunch of windows machines and when you buy a program you want to use it on all of them. You will have to get Mac software. But I do know that Word has been ported to Mac and maybe even Open Office has as well.

3) Cost: They arn't the cheapest laptops out there.

Advantages

1) Form: The are usually light notebooks with good battery life. This is at least the ones I have encoutered. People who actually own them could probably tell you better.

2) Mac OS: If you like the Mac OS system, then you would like a Apple or a pc with linux. Some preople really like thier operating system.

3) Power: Alot of the ones I have been around are pretty powerful little buggers. Not to say that PC versions arn't powerful too. I am not going to start a flame war with AMD vs Intel for what laptop processor to go with. But I do know Intel has some Powerful buggers as well with low power consumption.

Tasks

What are you going to use this for? Writing up papers, surfting web, playing games, programming? I know for games Apple isn't your answer. If you are doing programming (i know quite a few programmers who really like thier Apple laptops) then it could be good. Same with web and email and music. While Itunes and Ipod can work with windows, you just might want that cool computer to go with them all.

Well, I hope that gave you some things to look at.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuujin
    I will give you what I would look at when getting a Apple laptop and things to consider.

Disadvantages
    1) Gaming: Macs are not for gaming, period. So if your wanting something to play HL2 or Doom 3 then this isn't what you want.

2) Software compatiblity: Because the current macs are on a different OS and Processor Arcitecture you will have to find Mas OS versions of software. This can be a big problem for some when you have a bunch of windows machines and when you buy a program you want to use it on all of them. You will have to get Mac software. But I do know that Word has been ported to Mac and maybe even Open Office has as well.

3) Cost: They arn't the cheapest laptops out there.

Advantages

1) Form: The are usually light notebooks with good battery life. This is at least the ones I have encoutered. People who actually own them could probably tell you better.

2) Mac OS: If you like the Mac OS system, then you would like a Apple or a pc with linux. Some preople really like thier operating system.

3) Power: Alot of the ones I have been around are pretty powerful little buggers. Not to say that PC versions arn't powerful too. I am not going to start a flame war with AMD vs Intel for what laptop processor to go with. But I do know Intel has some Powerful buggers as well with low power consumption.

Tasks

What are you going to use this for? Writing up papers, surfting web, playing games, programming? I know for games Apple isn't your answer. If you are doing programming (i know quite a few programmers who really like thier Apple laptops) then it could be good. Same with web and email and music. While Itunes and Ipod can work with windows, you just might want that cool computer to go with them all.

Well, I hope that gave you some things to look at.
    My previous computer was a dual boot (Windows XP Pro/SlackWare Linux V10), but my plans are going into graphic design, and I have a hobby of making AMV's, and quite frankly, I can't make heads or tails of Premire, and the stuff I want to do windows movie maker can't do.

Thanx for your imput.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

One of the advantages of the Wintel architecture is the Pentium M processor. One of the rumors floating around about why Apple is moving to Intel CPUs is that there is currently no low voltage/power versions of the PowerPC chip, while the worse case power draw of the Pentium M is only 27 watts. The Pentium M is actually powerful enough for Desktop use, with Intel planning to come out with a Dual cored Yonah version next year for both laptop and SFF/Media Center use...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a Mac iBook! I love it. I, like you, had a long debate with myself, and did tons of research. Once I got used to it (which isn't all that difficult), we got along great. She hasn't given me any trouble.

I know one thing, however - if you're getting into graphic design/editing, apparently Macs are the way to go. They've got a great life on them, and the programs for that area are top of the line and simple to use.

I mean, a distinct lack of viruses (especially compared to a Windows) is also a bonus.

As mentioned, they aren't all that great when it comes to gaming, either.

Also - they are some spiffy looking. I think the number one thing about the Mac is that they are totally aesthetically-pleasing, both on the outside and the system itself.

I think that if you can even consider wanting a Mac, you'd do just fine with it. I got a lot of gripe from people in the beginning who are like, Mac-ist and completely against them, but I didn't regret buying this in the least. It's all up to the individual though. We can tell you all the bad and the good, but in the end, if you think it's right for you, it probably is.
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Don't go with the Mac. They have a crappy OS, and the Apps are not very good either. Anything they have for a Mac, you can get in an Intel PC, and if you want to work with Flash graphics and whatnot, there are some very good free apps you can use. I know this because I'm a graphics design/ web design/ desktop publishing student. I'm actually working on a few 3D game characters for a future PS2 game (can't go into details, I'm under a binding contract), so I'm not just saying this because I like Intel computers, I've worked with both machines. And in terms of computer accessibility, go with a PC, Mac is not very user friendly. Hope this helps, and I hope you listen to what I say because the Mac is a waste of money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metsuki Anba
    Don't go with the Mac. They have a crappy OS, and the Apps are not very good either. Anything they have for a Mac, you can get in an Intel PC, and if you want to work with Flash graphics and whatnot, there are some very good free apps you can use. I know this because I'm a graphics design/ web design/ desktop publishing student. I'm actually working on a few 3D game characters for a future PS2 game (can't go into details, I'm under a binding contract), so I'm not just saying this because I like Intel computers, I've worked with both machines. And in terms of computer accessibility, go with a PC, Mac is not very user friendly. Hope this helps, and I hope you listen to what I say because the Mac is a waste of money.
    I've been using Windows since before you started kindergarden. And what you said sounds more like an opinion then advice.

And just so you know, Mac's are more stable, even more so since they now have a Unix-ish background, and are the Computers of choice for most Graphic Editing. Not to mention that the G4 processor is a 128-bit processor, while PC processors are still 64-bit.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

This time next year, almost every mac shipped will have Intel chips in them, so the only difference will be in the OS. Steve Jobs' last keynote presentation was done with a G5 running a intel P4 3.something chip.

If you like the Unix themed OS, I guess it's the way to go. My only quam with Mac is the price. Very little advantage for so much extra $$. Although, the price you quoted seemed pretty good.

They seem to render video and some Adobe effects faster, but who knows how that will change once the instruction sets per chip go over to the dark side (intel).

I currently do graphics on a P4 PC, and don't find any particular issues with speed- given you have an ass-load of ram, a decent video card, and at the bare minimum an ATA 100 drive.

My friend has a ibook g4, and the battery only lasts 2.5 hours under heavy use. PC's with the latest mobile chips can run up to 5 hours (IBM, Sony, Fujitsu).

Oh yeah...

There has also been talk about licensing Mac OS to PC platform once the Mac hardware switches to intel chips. It would make sense, i guess. Dell has been reported to saying that they would option their PC's with Mac OS if allowed.
    Last edited by know1; Aug 21, 2005 at 10:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast