Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: getting others interested

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

getting others interested

well i noticed that some people where feeling that there was a lack in anime subjects on this forum so here's my contribution.
    you see i have a friend who i like, but unfortunately she isn't that into anime at the moment, so far she's seen "kiki's delivery service" and with me is reading through "ai yori aoshi". now this may not seen like a discusable topic but there are questions behind this:
    what kind of things are good for getting others interested?
    what would you suggest to get my friends into anime?
    and, what got you started?

personally i think the best anime you can use to get people into it are the dumbest comedy ones you can find, like azumanga daioh and exel saga (though exel might be too stupid). what i intend to use at the mo is the pretear dvd i got today, cos i think she'll like the girlyness behind it and it has some great funny points, plus it's not too childish. as for what got me started was probably pokemon though i wasn't obbsessed with it, i would say that the anime that got meinto anime would have to be evangelion, all the psychology behind it and the wierd theorys and appocoliptic vibes made me stop and think, and thats what i want when i watch something.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: getting others interested

I got some of my friends interested by lending them some manga, but I weighed out in my mind what kind I should give them that they'd like. I don't think there is just one you could give to anyone (anime or manga) and they would all become interested. One friend I got hooked on by lending her the series Rayearth to read, then I got her started on Vampire Game. She proceeded to buy every volume available after that .^_^. Whenever I buy gifts, I usually get the first volume of Vampire Game .^_^. Another one of my friends I lent Planet Ladder, and like I said, then bought her as well the first volume of Vampire Game .^_^. They tend to like it, but as I mentioned, everyone might not be inclined to be interested in it.

As for an anime, I want my friends to watch R.O.D the OVA, it's not too long and it's interesting .^_^. Just off the top of my head though

Anyway, I'd stick with Hayao Miyazaki movies to continue to get her into anime. They are hands down, without a doubt, classics.

What got me started? *laughs* I don't remember.... .^_^.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deaths_raver667
    questions behind this:
    what kind of things are good for getting others interested?
    what would you suggest to get my friends into anime?
    and, what got you started?
    You first need to know what kind of things they like. Do they like comedy? Insanity? Gore? Action? A big mix of different genres? Etc.

After you have gotten enough information, make them try an anime in the genre's they like.

If the reaction was positive, success!
    If the reaction was negative, try another anime from the same genre or choose an anime that you think might interest them.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Me? I force people to watch anime a la Clockwork Orange. Only, except for pain treatment, it's pleasure treatment. That way they have to watch anime to feel good!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

To get other people interested in Anime, you want to avoid the series with violence, gore and the bizarre, (So no 'Neon Genesis Evangelion') but at the same time, something that is different from what is available in the popular media... Miyazaki films are a good choice, (such as the ones with powerful stories, such as 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind', and 'Princess Mononoke'). For girls, some of the Shoujo series ('Fruits Basket', 'Escaflowne') would be good choices...

I have a older friend (who is nearing retirement age) that I introduced to Anime. I first tried some good conservative comedy series, (Tenchi Muyo OVA, Battle Athletes) but what got him hooked was 'Cardcaptor Sakura'. Now his anime collection is several times larger then my own, and we carefully coordinate our collections to avoid duplication...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks

Definetly the most important thing to keep in mind is their interests, not yours. I have a wide range of anime and manga genres, but when my boyfriend started getting into anime, I knew that I shouldn't throw my Escaflowne series at him to get him into it. He liked Cowboy Bebop, and so when Samurai Champloo started on CN, I told him about is. He loved the samurai stuff, so I also told him about the new Samurai Gun series, and he's into that now as well as Elfen Lied (though despite the gore of EL, I think he's a little turned off by the romance/drama/angsty stuff). Just because you want your friends to like anime, that doesn't mean that they have to like the same kind as you. But knowing what genres they like will definetly help you to find a good series or movie to get them started.

And I remember now, at the top of my lungs in my arms, she dies, she dies.

Controlling you through a chip in your butt since 2004

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

ok alot of you are coming up with the good point that i should look at the other persons interests, but lets say for the benefit of debate, that i don't know this persons interests, or i have a group of people who don't all like the same thing. and few of you are telling me what got you started, i wanna know.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Newbie Osushi may be famous one day Osushi may be famous one day Osushi's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, almost all usual advices are said and told so I might want to take advantage of these. I was all against anime until my friend told me to watch Hajime No Ippo, and he asked me to watch the first seasonand told me to stop if I didn't like it. I like boxing and other fighting stuff, just couldn't stop watching. And it's not hard for me to watch english subbed anime because of my good english (although I'm Finnish) so there was no problems at all. Ever since i've been watching anime daily. Because of anime I've found a whole new language and a whole new culture. I suggest too that you gather info what kind of genre are your friends into. I think ppl would like to see anime similar than the genre of their favorite movies. I hope you may come up with something GL m8!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast