Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of calcium...

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Getting rid of calcium...

Anyone who knows me know I'm bound to ask weird questions (refer to: unclogging a toilet thread), and this time my question to you is, anyone with any ideas, cheap ideas, how I can get calcium off a bag of old coins I found...

and plz if you dont have an idea dont suggest something crazy and get me killed...

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie Melanic may be famous one day Melanic may be famous one day Melanic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Soak it in Coke. I've heard it can dissolve coins...

Or, just use some acid that'll weaken the calcium so you can wash it off. I recommend Hydrogen Flouride. If the mishandeling doesn't kill you, the fumes may. Or vinegar... maybe... but that wouldn't be fun.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmm, maybe i'll try vinegar, and the fact is I want to use the coins not play a magic trick making them disappear

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Actually, the soak in Coke idea isn't that bad... One of the 'standard' solutions for freeing a seized piston in a engine block is to soak it in cola overnight (it's the phosphoric acid. The Ph of cola is actually close to 1!!)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks
    so you sure I won't soak it ten dollars worth of coins and end up with five?

Newbie Melanic may be famous one day Melanic may be famous one day Melanic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah, it takes a while to eat away a whole coin... so I wouldn't leave them there for a week if I were you.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    try to melt them with fire, and thrink it up.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lord nikon
    try to melt them with fire, and thrink it up.

Calcium salts melt at very high temperature. The coins will melt first. Nice idea, but a bit impractical for this situation.

Any sort of common acid will do the trick whether it be vinegar, cola, muriatic acid (available at Home Depot), whatever. Calcium salts (the calcium on the coins) are acid soluble. For economy I'd recommend the household vinegar, but the muriatic acid will do the trick faster.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast