Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Otaku QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Global warming

Well if we just switched to solar energy, then that would help a lot, but no. >grrr< We have the capability to do it, make the change, but since the lobbyists and various other rich oil business owners who have influence on those who could initiate this change, it'll never happen. It's all for profits, money. If the oil/gas industry didn't make so much money, the people who have invested their life in that busniess wouldn't stop the presentation of the idea of solar energy.

We can, but we won't because of money, so global warming continues.

By the way, Zarriff, I love your signature .^_^. (Wanted to end on a lighter note)

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfGames
    Well if we just switched to solar energy, then that would help a lot, but no. >grrr< We have the capability to do it, make the change, but since the lobbyists and various other rich oil business owners who have influence on those who could initiate this change, it'll never happen. It's all for profits, money. If the oil/gas industry didn't make so much money, the people who have invested their life in that busniess wouldn't stop the presentation of the idea of solar energy.

We can, but we won't because of money, so global warming continues.

By the way, Zarriff, I love your signature .^_^. (Wanted to end on a lighter note)

Solar energy has too many draw backs (i.e. nightime, battery power and life, power, etc), so using solar power for high energy needs is a bit far off. We have solar plants, but they're limited as far as power potential, and create a lot of heat, thus losing much of that solar energy in the form of heat.

Thanks, the sig was made by socketto. If you have 50 posts and are in good standings with the staff, you can request one in the sig request thread.

Otaku death_knight may be famous one day death_knight may be famous one day death_knight's Avatar
    Thanks

Well said zariff solar energy just will never quite cut it, has too may faults too many flaws. Also its a really expensive technology, the cost of solar cells are not cheap at all. plus the amount of solar panels that has to be used to power a single home is ridiculous. Its a real shame that the possibilites that was hoped for antimatter as a power source proved a failure. It would have been the ultimate form of pure energy when it annihilates [ matter and antimatter come in contact to produce photons ].
    Opensources is where my heart is
    Ishida Uryuu - The true one winged angel

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes. Energy produced by the collison of antimatter would provide a lot of power, just too bad. If we were to use solar energy on a mass scale, it would have to be on the north or south pole during the many days of sun, and would be utterly useless during the other parts of the year. We currently employ fission (i.e. nuclear power) on a fairly massive scale. We could use fusion power as well, the combining rather than splitting, of atoms as wel, though that is not often used due to the energy required for this. Hence it's natural occurence in stars, pressure and heat create the reactions. Other than this, I do not know much tha would be effective for the future.

Though I have to wonder what kind of enegy could be produced by splitting a neutron, proton, or electron into individual quarks, be it up, down, strange, etc. There are supposably quark stars, caused by the collapse of a star beyond the mass of a neutron star, but less than what is needed to create a black whole.

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zarriff
    Believe it or not, cutting down trees hardly has an effect these days, since we replace them as we go. It was only when we wiped out whole forsts that that was a problem. As for hydrogen fuel cells, they're expensive. However, if we can ever get the cars to work well and minimize the price of the fuel cell, those will be the way to go. They solve pollution and fossil fuel issues by fusing hydrogen and oxygen to create energy, and the biproduct is water. No more CO2.
    Hydrogen powered cars will still use fossil fuels. But instead of CO2 being produced, it's hydrogen. This really only solves one problem: CO2 burning holes in the atmosphere. I think that they need to develop an energy source that is totally unreliant on fossil fuels, and I keep on thinking of an article I read.... Oh well, I'll sleep on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metsuki Anba
    Hydrogen powered cars will still use fossil fuels. But instead of CO2 being produced, it's hydrogen. This really only solves one problem: CO2 burning holes in the atmosphere. I think that they need to develop an energy source that is totally unreliant on fossil fuels, and I keep on thinking of an article I read.... Oh well, I'll sleep on it.
    Hydrogen cells don't produce hydrogen, they use hydrogen as fuel and produce water. No pollution, and hydrogen will be cheaper than gasoline. not to mention that hydrogen and helium are the two most abundant elements in the universe.

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zarriff
    Hydrogen cells don't produce hydrogen, they use hydrogen as fuel and produce water. No pollution, and hydrogen will be cheaper than gasoline. not to mention that hydrogen and helium are the two most abundant elements in the universe.
    Yeah, sorry, they produce H20. But they are reliant on fossil fuels, which have an abundance of hydrogen. It's not there will be hydrogen pumps all over the place. I had to do a 10 page essay on this subject this past year.

Thanks

LOL, My report wasn't as long, and it was a couple of years ago. they're testing hydrogen fuel cells in California, mainly as city vehicles in L.A. If they use a hydrogen "fuel cell," then they use pure hydrogen which, in the event they make production, will be filled by hydrogen pumps installed at most gastations. They gas guys have to stay in business somehow. As far as how exactly they're going to get that pure hydrogen, I don't remember. They can use fossil fuels, but there are other ways. The most reasonable way is as a biproduct from chemical reactions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast