Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Global warming

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Global warming

Quote Originally Posted by Yeager the Great
    The trash would be burned up long before it reached the surface of the Sun .

Here is some food for thought in regards to the global warming issue.

While global surface temperature have increased about 1 degree celcius over the last 200, the temperature in the troposphere have remained stable. Adn to add to the argument that temperatures on Earth are dynamic, two hundred years ago, the Earth experineced a seventy year period of Global Cooling (The period was known as the "Little Ice Age").

80% of CO2 put in the atmosphere is absorbed by microscopic plant life in the oceans

CO2 does not burn holes in the atmosphere. CFCs do, more accurately, they burn holes in the Ozone. However, levels of CFCs in the atmosphere have been falling. Ironically, its been observed that a depleted ozone has a net cooling effect, as to why I do not know.
    Hmm, definatley not a post by a complete idiot, nice. Over last 200 years, the surface temperature has actually risen a little more than one degree; mount St Helans. That eruption by itself made temperatures rise by 1 degree celcius all over the world. As for the little ocean plants; I can't remember what they're called for the life of me; aren't present in near as much force as they used to be. For those that I confused, I mean there's fewer of them; thus absorbing much less CO2.

And he/she's right ( I don't know which yet lol), CO2 has no effect on ozone, it is simply just a green house gas reflecting heat already reflected by the Earth back at us. The CFC's break down Ozone (an ionized form of Oxygen) and let those oh so dreaded ultraviolet rays reach us.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solking
    That's true but we might end up going through a climate change similar to that one. No one knows what the future holds for mankind.
    Actually it's pretty much concensus in the scientific community that the event's in The Day After Tomorrow are impossible. Sorry to burst somones bubble but it's not going to happen.

Cataclysmic weather changes happen just not like that.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Yeager the Great may be famous one day Yeager the Great may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zarriff
    Hmm, definatley not a post by a complete idiot, nice. Over last 200 years, the surface temperature has actually risen a little more than one degree; mount St Helans. That eruption by itself made temperatures rise by 1 degree celcius all over the world. As for the little ocean plants; I can't remember what they're called for the life of me; aren't present in near as much force as they used to be. For those that I confused, I mean there's fewer of them; thus absorbing much less CO2.
    Its actually accepted that volcanic ash, which for all tense and purposes is glass particles and sulfur-based componds, will reflect solar radiation and have a net cooling effect. The St. Helens eruption was "small" in relative terms and had no impact on atmospheric condidtions at all. Mount Pinatubo in the Phillipines however, which spewed tens of millions of tons of material into the upper atmosphere, causing a half a degree celsius drop in global surface temperature in the early 1990s. Furthermore, I read that that same eruption deposited ozone depleting substance into the ozone layer, which I have already established has a net cooling effect.

PS: Thanks Death_Knight for explaination why such depletion has that effect.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5