Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14

Thread: God

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    tried posting this earlier but AO was having some troubles i presume...

Quote Originally Posted by teh s uck
    if you believe that Jesus=God, then yes. however, since I do not believe that jesus was divine, then it's an irrrelevent point what he would have done. Besides, aren't you forgetting about a little book called Revelation? Not exactly a God of Love (except to his followers) on display there.
    Hm...Good point, oh and sorry for butting in :P, you're right God was not always depicted as..."all loving" in the Bible. But it all depends on what you call loving, even Jesus was depicted as angry at times in the Bible. True that God is perceived quite often as angry, vengeful, etc. But I see it this way, because your Father yells at you or scoldes you for your mistakes doesn't necessarily mean that he loves you any less. Like a father who loves his children and is pained when seeing his children take the wrong path, God feels pain when his children make mistakes and gets angry when they turn against Him. This doesn't make him unforgiving, or not loving. That's kinda how I see it.

And as I kinda posted in another forum, God, Heaven, Hell, etc are not things that we can really perceive. What is eternal happiness? What is "Good"? What is "love"? People often have different definitions of these things and personally none of us are 100% right, there's a lot of things we as humans don't understand or can't put into concrete examples. So it's a good idea to keep in mind loose definitions when discussing these things ^_^

[/end of personal opinions] :P
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut's Avatar
    Thanks
    And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, as a testimony to all nations; and then the end will come.

Mathew 24:14

Everyone would have heard the word of YHWH by the time of what is predicted in Revelation. Yehshua was sent to this earth to save those who are not His followers. But, to recieve His salvation, you have to accept it. If you do not, you shall be held accountable for your sins. It's kind of like overdrafting you're bank account, and they offer to fix it and pay the debts for free. They ask you if you would like them to, and you can either say yes or no. You still have to make the choice.

P.S. If you actually read the Bible, the ideas never contradict themselves.

Newbie teh s uck may be famous one day teh s uck may be famous one day teh s uck's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Everyone would have heard the word of YHWH by the time of what is predicted in Revelation. Yehshua was sent to this earth to save those who are not His followers. But, to recieve His salvation, you have to accept it. If you do not, you shall be held accountable for your sins. It's kind of like overdrafting you're bank account, and they offer to fix it and pay the debts for free. They ask you if you would like them to, and you can either say yes or no. You still have to make the choice.
    A rather poor metaphor for Revelations; I don't think that most banks respond to overdrafts by committing genocide against their delinquent customers. The message is more simply repent or suffer not only hell on Earth, but literal Hell as well. That is not love, that is a threat. There is no two ways around it.

Contrast that with God's attitude towards the Israelite sinners in Kings -- he put up with the bullsh-t as long as he could, but eventually got tired of it and merely lifted his special protection from Ephraim (a.k.a. the Northern Kingdom) and Judea (the Southern Kingdom) and let history take its course, which was the destuction of the NK by the Assyrians in 721 BCE and Judea by the Neo-Babylonian Empire in 586. He did not actively seek out their destruction. However, even when he was sick of the BS and the Israelites were scattered in the Exile, he still left the door open for forgiveness and restoration -- not damnation into eternal fire.

P.S. If you actually read the Bible, the ideas never contradict themselves.
    I have read the Bible. I don't read it the same way you do.
    Your ad here.

Newbie Pink*Rhapsody may be famous one day Pink*Rhapsody may be famous one day Pink*Rhapsody's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think I believe in the guy. You know, he kinda sits in the back of my mind collecting dust until I pray- which happens once in a blue moon. But I do believe in souls and heaven. I don't believe in hell because if hell existed everyone would go there. Why? Because none of us truely follow the 10 commandments. And don't deny that.

So yeah, I have faith. That's about the extent of me being Catholic.
    I gotta get that cotton ball off my butt.
    I <3 T3H MONK3H!!!

Otaku Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by teh s uck
    A rather poor metaphor for Revelations; I don't think that most banks respond to overdrafts by committing genocide against their delinquent customers. The message is more simply repent or suffer not only hell on Earth, but literal Hell as well. That is not love, that is a threat. There is no two ways around it.

Contrast that with God's attitude towards the Israelite sinners in Kings -- he put up with the bullsh-t as long as he could, but eventually got tired of it and merely lifted his special protection from Ephraim (a.k.a. the Northern Kingdom) and Judea (the Southern Kingdom) and let history take its course, which was the destuction of the NK by the Assyrians in 721 BCE and Judea by the Neo-Babylonian Empire in 586. He did not actively seek out their destruction. However, even when he was sick of the BS and the Israelites were scattered in the Exile, he still left the door open for forgiveness and restoration -- not damnation into eternal fire.

I have read the Bible. I don't read it the same way you do.
    uh....what?

First off, the way I read the Bible is as a complete work, where all the books relate back to one another.

Ok, about the metaphor, that's why they call it a metaphor, because it's comparing two unlike things...

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
    Proverbs 13:24
    So yeah...It can be loving and a threat at the same time. You want someone to be good, and they forsake your incentives, negative reinforcement is pretty logical, no?
    and people say then why doens't He just make it all right? Thats how it all started, we screwed up. He's offering us a change to make things good agian. But it's still our choice. Most people dont realize that in churches, the exit is just as big as the entrance.

Newbie Lei Kiyone may be famous one day Lei Kiyone may be famous one day Lei Kiyone's Avatar
    Thanks
    God...just another belief. Not one I have to belief. I have no reason, no proff to believe it. The Bible's just another extensive fictional cultist story in my opinion, and really, I don't have any evidence. I've never seen any miracles. I've never seen any sort of holy light, any sort of evidence that he would exist. And people insult me for not believing in 'him'? Absolutely insane. People say this earth is a miracle, and only god could make it.....why does there have to be a creator? People seem to have to have an explanation for it, I just let it alone. It's here, we live. That's all there is to it, in my opinion.

Life's much easier without a religion.
    Last edited by Lei Kiyone; Dec 16, 2004 at 09:17 PM.

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    no one here is a dedicated biblical scholar, or works at the vatican library, or was around when jesus, or muhammed, or abraham walked the earth. so no point in thrashing one another about this or that particular quote.

anyway. i was just about to type some sort of message or point.. but everything is too cliche at this point.

i believe in god, not in a specific particularly religious sense, but in a general sense because i cannot live without one. the absurdity of this world is too much, the pain is too great... the suffering is just too much to live with without god. if there wasn't a reason for all of this, if i didn't have a purpose, if there was no real ethic, i would fall into depression and die. my heart would break at the sight of our tragedy. so i believe.. to survive.

.... ok so i did end up going into some kind of rant.. my apologies... im done now.

The end is important in all things.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14