Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: -God, Good & Evil-

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks

-God, Good & Evil-

Since it would appear that a great many of you respond well to threads of the philosophical variety ... especially one Tychoides... ^_^, I'll pose this question to you.

Long before it was the title of the Xenosaga game, "Beyond Good & Evil" was a work produced by Friedrich Nietzsche. Among many things, he adopts a nihilistic approach and claims that "God is Dead" ... meaning that people have lost any and all will towards faith and virtue (or vice).

Therefore, do you also agree that "God is Dead", and with that, all values and conceptions of Good and Evil are irrelevant, or, is God alive, and do people still retain religious and moral values, and as such, still hold values of Good and Evil.

To put this another way, do you believe there is a universal idea of Good and Evil, and does it relate to God in anyway?
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    i don't think god is dead....
    More likes he's just letting humanity have it's way... till the start to play him... then he's going to back at us human's.
    I think god created all things, and is the master over all things living and dead.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    im not quite sure that's exactly how nietzsche was phrasing it, if you think of that passage of the madman, where he went out yelling in the streets "god is dead! god is dead!" and then ended by saying he had "come too soon".. i got the impression that he was speaking of the nihilism to come from the progression of science and society. Nietzsche's philosophy wasn't actually nihilistic. although a lot of what he said sounded that way.
    Nietzsche, i believe, saw the nihilism to come, like a great 'spectre' looming over the west. his philosophy was meant to open our eyes to the problem, and eventually offer a solution to stave off nihilism (i.e. Zarathustra).

The end is important in all things.

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Ohh... sounds like a sociology question!!^_^ i love sociology

According to the Christian Faith, God made man to have his own will. Therefore, he can't controll us. It is ultamately up to us to make any disition either "good" or "bad" the way it is viewed. It does say that if you don't believe and follow him (of youre free will) you'll be in hell. So, the decition of where we go according to the christian faith is based upon our will.

In terms of society, what is "good"? What is "bad"? Fifty years ago, wearing some clothes that were made today, but wearing them in the 50's, many would call you a dirty *** with no self respect for yourself. So what's normal today was not normal fifty years ago. So what is "good"?

Some people base "good" on the Ten Commandments that the Christian Bible states. Many Christians follow this philosophy, but I know that almost none "rememer to keep the sabbath holy" as it states. They just forget. (most think the sabbath is even on sunday. Its on saturday.) So, we no longer consider keeping the sabbath holy as much of a sin as "do not murder" There is no "Greater evil" as the bible says. "All evil is evil and is considered the same" says the bible too. Some "bad" may have more consequenses than others, but they are all the same amount of evil considered by God.

So if good is relative, and bad can be relative too, why be either/or?
    Again, it is totally up to the individuals choice. You can be a "good-doer" or you can be a "evil-doer". Also, just because your "of a faith" doesn't mean that you're automatically nice. Take the terrorrists in the MidlleEast. Thier religion says not to kill or cause harm, but there are always radicals that go against the faith of thier own religion. The crusadors of the Christians were also a group of killers that went around "in the name of god" So, the choice is ultamately yours.

So does the idea of good/evil relate to God? Yes and No. Most of our doings are from the Ten Commandments and the Early Church which was in Europe. That's why there are no cannibals or slavery today. It was stemmed from Religion. It was up to man to decide what to make of whatever was said in that religion. (and be an independent, and look at it for yourself and make your own decition about it. don't be pursuaded by what anyone else says.)

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    There are some many flaws with that questions I don't know where to begin.

I guess with the statement:

"....Do you believe there is a universal idea of Good and Evil."

Think about that for a moment. A belief works out of a series of True or false interpretations. Even our ideas of the Universe work on yes/no, true/false, good and evil. Otherwise theren't room or any variation. It would be all yes or all no and there wouldn't even be the idea of what it 'all' is....

Simply put--the question answers itself.

My opinions of the use of god could fill a book most likely. Most of it has been shared by other people. Is god dead? Depends on how you see 'god'. Do you see it as faith in life having a meaning? Do you need the term 'god' to define your life and existance.

Personally, I feel everyone is misguided by influances they're borned to learn from, which is in essance their senses. When you have parents and community members sharing the ignorance and rules we put on our senses it leaves room for interpretations that will continue to cause harm to youself. If you're hurting yourrself, you're hurting someone else.

The focus is self-centered. The "I" only helps to feel good is my example.

[J]

Newbie naota may be famous one day naota may be famous one day naota's Avatar
    Thanks
    Some people have lost faith in God, some have not...why?..

I think it's because of the media. The media throws a whole bunch of crap at us every day that we can't avoid. Maybe it's death on the news, suggestive content on MTV, or just a sad rainy day. We get too many distractions in life, it makes us drift away from God.
    Does that answer any questions?

Which character are you test by Naruto - Kun.com

Newbie Synical may be famous one day Synical may be famous one day Synical's Avatar
    Thanks
    i don't believe god is dead.
    In fact i don't really thing anything such as good ever existed... I'm Deist which means i beleive there was a supreme creator but it kinda fizzled out after. Mind you by creating the world i don't mean that stupid adam and eve shit. I mean the universe and thats it .... everything else is scientific. Ya see this is the religion that all the great minds used; such as Da vinci Michelanglo (*sp) , Raphiel, Galileo,ect. And i say if those great minds beleive that why the hell shouldn't i! XD
    As of good and evil.... good and evil are all what humans percept it .... it has nothing to do with a higher power

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now there is a culture aspect to this question. Traditional Judeo-Christian cultures hold that there exists an Ultimate Good (GOD) and Ultimate Evil (Satan) and that the identification of Ultimate Good and Evil is obvious from observation...

Eastern (Hindu-Buddhist) cultures, view things in the terms of Yin and Yang (or balance), where you cannot identify something as 'good' unless you can compare it to something that is 'bad'... And to a true Buddhist, the existence of 'God' is irrelevant to the purpose of obtaining inner peace... (After all, you can't do anything about the action of Gods, so why worry over it...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast