Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: -God, Good & Evil-

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    Descartes' theory has been proven wrong by Kant later on because the logic of Descartes had a big flaw: he "proved" that God existed from his own concept...

His logic:

God is almighty is his concept ==> He has therefore all caracteristics, including existence ==> God exists
    ohh.. I didn't think Kant would come up here... ^_^

Well, in fairness towards Descartes, his method of reflection as it were was wholly conducive to his system of philosophy. That is to say, when you consider both the unextended mind and extended body, and you rationailze that one has a conception of perfection, but since one is not neccesarilty perfect, it stands to reason that there is in fact an all perfect and might being.

That being said, I am in many respects a Kantian. However, when considering such questions, one must take into account as to whether or not the quandary is a metaphysical one. It is safe to say that God cannot be proved, but only through corporeal means. Kant is being a bit hypocritical because much if not all of his philosophy requires a transcendental approach. In other words, he also assumes an overly rational audience willing to take some leaps of thought.

Also, the Quote that "Nietzsche is Dead"--God, is a tad unfair as Nietzsche didn't make that assertion as a means to promote atheism or attack Christianity. It was mererly the crux for his observations and critiques.
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardedge
    Also, the Quote that "Nietzsche is Dead"--God, is a tad unfair as Nietzsche didn't make that assertion as a means to promote atheism or attack Christianity. It was mererly the crux for his observations and critiques.
    I don't see the quote as an attack, mearly a pointed way of stating, well a point. The point being that our understanding IS limited. Philosophy comes and goes. Our point of veiw changes. Things we believed to be true today (scientifically and philosophically) are often proved wrong tomarrow. Truth however is eternal. Our search for that truth continues through our lives and those after us. God (as defined) is eternal. He knows the truths we try to find.

And so the statement is "Nietzsche is Dead", his views are a drop in the pan but --God is still there.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I personally am having trouble right now believing in a god so to speak, but thats another matter, in terms of society, I believe there is a re-emergence of god actually in our country, think of it this way, 2/3 of the voting public are by definiton born-again christians, the evangelical christian faith is starting to become a majority in the nation, the time period he wrote in maybe, but in today's world I believe god and religion are stronger than ever before.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it's all in balance. That not everything should be totally "good" or totally "bad" and not everyone should believe in God. Seriously, how good would this forum be without people with doubts about God?

I seriously think we as a people in whole try to hard to understand God, and never try to truly put ourselves in his shoes so to speak. And then we allow ourselves to be blinded by "fact", statements, and people who just need an answer. I think science and math are like the polar opposite of God. Sure they give what they think is the answer, but whose to say it's right? or wrong? I think science just tries more and more to disprove God all the time.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just one thing I'd like to say: please don't think that people who believe in God are the only ones who are transcendental. I am buddhist, and my life is based around my spirituality and dreams.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Not at all, any religious group of people could apply here, they're ideas are indeed different, but similar...

Otaku Tithe may be famous one day Tithe may be famous one day Tithe's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe there is a good and bad. We were raised to believe that to be true. I don't think there is such a thing as evil or a truly bad person,no matter how mean someone is they are not bad or evil.
    But i do in fact believe, god is dead. I actually believe he never existed. But in all the people who supposedly worship "GOD" they are very judgemental and contoling unlike their holy person is belived to be.I am a lunarian,I never will believe there is a god or one actually ever exsisted. Even if ther was I wouldn't follow him. I do though believe there is virtue in the world. The people of the christian variety do not show any of it once so ever nor do they show compasion or faith only the few do. there happy?
    Last edited by Tithe; Feb 17, 2005 at 04:28 PM.
    A deathless heart alive with greif
    Smiles when it hears of thee
    Whisper now my secret love
    Kiss my lips and rise above

Thanks
    If you think God "is dead" you still believe in him to a certain distant degree. I'll admit I doubt God's existance sometimes, but one of these days there is going to be that one question we can't answer with science. How do you explain the unexplainable?
    s

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast