Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going to Japan

Newbie Janakin may be famous one day Janakin may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Going to Japan

I actually live in Japan, well on a ship and the homeport is Japan, but well it counts. obviously there are easier ways to get to the promised land than joining the military, but thats what I did. Ive been in Japan for about 8 months and Ive actually only spent maybe 2 months in Japan, stupid ship! Anyway I guess I have some advice.

Number 1 - Stay away from Navy port cities. I hate to admit it but the Navy has ruined Yokosuka and probably any other Japanese ports we are in. the city is made up of well the things sailors like to do. I personally hate it in Yokosuka.

Number 2 - Transportation, walk walk walk walk train walk walk walk. Everywhere you could want to go is within walking distance of a train. the trains are cheap fast and reliable. you can go from one end of japan almost to the other for about 2,000 yen. Taxis are available but pricey and traffic is not certain at any time.

Number 3 - Moneys, exchange rate last i checked was 107yen to a dollar. so 1 yen is about 1 cent, thats how i usually think about it. i usually carry 10000 yen with me just incase i see some sweet anime somewhere.

Speaking of anime.... Regional settings on DVDs, something i learned the hard way about. Japan has a different DVD region than the US, but a region free DVD player or program for computer will clear that up. Manga is cheaper here too, if you dont mind reading japanese, and translated manga is actually a lot more expensive.

Number 4... or 5 - Food - My policy is that when I am in a foreign country I eat foreign food. I recommend Pepper Lunch, Beef Bowl, or any sushi shops. If you for whatever reason crave mcdonalds I will warn you the portions here are very small compared to America, a large is about the size of a medium back home.

Number 6ish - What to do? Kamakura, nice quiet temples, beautiful scenery and not very expensive, take about 3,000 yen with you for the gift shop.
    Shibuya/Ropongi - Ive only been to Shibuya but Ropongi is about the same from what Ive heared, this is the night life clubbing area, take about 10,000 yen for drinks and the like.
    Tokyo/Akihabara - nerd alert nerd alert whooop whooop. Yeah this is the place, the promised land. you want a 10 story arcade? they got it. Want cosplayers running around all over the place? got that too? Giant anime stores? Computer shops? Anything and everything electronic you could imagine is here. Take as much money as you can, I spend about 100,000yen whenever I go here. Yeah its awesome.

Thats about all the advice I have, any questions about Japan just email me, if i dont have an answer i live with 5,000 shipmates who probably do. oh yeah one last piece of advice, dont join the Navy.

Otaku sedka may be famous one day sedka may be famous one day sedka's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes there are a few trains that the JR pass doesn't work, but most places people need go has a JR rail near by. They are very reliable. They are usually on time within 10min or less of each other in cities. And like Janakin said, walking is the most used transportation after the rail since pretty much everything is within walking distance of a rail.

Here is the site for getting the JR rail pass as well as more information. Such as what trains/buses/ferries can be used by the pass. http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en02.html If you look at the site, there is a JR rail running through Major cities/towns and airports in Japan. On the map, all the routs shown can be accessed with the JR pass (except for a few). In Tokyo and places around tokyo, I only used the JR rail system. Which save me a lot of money

It only cost me around $1000 in Japan because I didn't buy much. I mainly used the money for the Hotel I stayed/ food and getting into tourist sites. And that was only for one week that I stayed there. I should have opted for two weeks. One week was not enough time to spend there

About the money thing. In terms of US dollars and Japanese yen, It was easy for me. I just divide the Yen by 100 to get an aproximate US dollar conversion. On the average 110-120 yen = $1 So I rounded, 100 yen = $1 This allowed me to plan on what I can spend and how much I have left.

Also about the ATM's, I've only seen 2 ATMs. One at the Bank and one at a local grocery store near my hotel. I did not see any at tourist locations nor most stores in Japan (I could be wrong). Of course I wasn't looking for ATMs, but there are not many of them. Most people in Japan uses cash, that I noticed. Your best bet is cash or Travelers checks and exchange them at a main bank. Not all banks exchange money.

Quote Originally Posted by Janakin
    Number 4... or 5 - Food - My policy is that when I am in a foreign country I eat foreign food. I recommend Pepper Lunch, Beef Bowl, or any sushi shops. If you for whatever reason crave mcdonalds I will warn you the portions here are very small compared to America, a large is about the size of a medium back home.

Number 6ish - What to do? Kamakura, nice quiet temples, beautiful scenery and not very expensive, take about 3,000 yen with you for the gift shop.
    Shibuya/Ropongi - Ive only been to Shibuya but Ropongi is about the same from what Ive heared, this is the night life clubbing area, take about 10,000 yen for drinks and the like.
    Tokyo/Akihabara - nerd alert nerd alert whooop whooop. Yeah this is the place, the promised land. you want a 10 story arcade? they got it. Want cosplayers running around all over the place? got that too? Giant anime stores? Computer shops? Anything and everything electronic you could imagine is here. Take as much money as you can, I spend about 100,000yen whenever I go here. Yeah its awesome.
    Awsome. I rememeber going there. I went to so many stores, just checking thing s out. I also went to McD's for some lunch and you are right the portions are small, but the food tastes better then the US McD's.

Newbie asraiwaters may be famous one day asraiwaters may be famous one day asraiwaters's Avatar
    Thanks

just think of 300 yen as about 3 us dollars. its really not a lot.

also, the subway takes you all kinds of places and a ticket is usually under 300 yen.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

I plan on going with my brothers and a few close friends sometime in late 2006 or early 2007. Once we've all graduated college and what not. We've been talking abotu it for a few years now, but it actually looks possible now. This is just something I've wanted to do for a long time and I feel like my life wouldnt be complete without it, thats how strongly I feel about this trip. Second on my list is Australia, but thats at least 4 to 5 years away right now I think.

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

Red face Re: Going to Japan

I want to go to Japan so bad especially tokyo...the big city and the have the coolest fashion sense there...I love it...

Newbie Mutt may be famous one day Mutt may be famous one day Mutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya i love the big city id love to visit tokyo some time juz for the experience.

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

It haas always been a dream of mine to go to Japan and live there for a few months. That would be great.

Laid Back Otaku Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: Going to Japan

I think Japan is awesome because of the expos for anime and cars.. so I wannna go there one day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast