Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 70

Thread: Golden State Senate passes gay marriage Bill

  1. #25
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    Yes. He say that it directly conflicts with a referendum passed a few years ago in California against recognizing any gay marriages in other states and that he believes such laws need to come either from the courts or the people.

    I'm not sure I agree with the courts parts (we'll avoid my thoughts on judges being to big for their britches) but I do agree that unless the people of California support it it is a very bad idea. After all, the California government has a history of telling the people what to do over their prolific objections. If they hadn't Swartzneger would have never been elected.

    (Though I believe you all know why I feel it to be a bad idea anyway.)

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  2. #26
    Newbie Catalyst-40 may be famous one day Catalyst-40 may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    The Govonator has anounced that he is going to VETO this bill. Boo-ya!
    If this is true, then good. Such an unjustified bill should not belong in any state legislation.

  3. #27
    Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    483
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    I don't agree with the bill and I dont' agree with Gay Marrage. But all that aside, I really think it should be a states right's issue. If the california legislature wants to legalize gay marrage, bully for them! That's why I live in Utah. Those legistaltures better watch out though, while they may have a legal right to create this law, they will have to answer to the people of California in the next election (if not sooner). That is the ultimate check and balance...just as Grey Davis.

    Unfortunatly, it won't remain a states right issue. Even though congress passed and Clinton signed the Defense of Marrage act, it will most likley be challenged as unconstituional as soon as a state fully leagalizes gay marrage (meaning it's ran through all the legal battles and all avenues have been exausted). If the DoM act is found unconstitutional, then gay marrage must be recongnized in all 50 states (as marrages already are). So, in short, gay rights activists bypass the law and get gay marrage sanctioned in all 50 states despite the (possible) objection of the other 49. This is why there is a constitutional amendment option going around state by state.

    It's a mess. I personally would never support gay marrage. I have no problem with gays receiveing the same legal rights as married couples (like approprate tax breaks, rights to visit partners in hospitals, etc). But then again, i would support somthing that would allow all americans to have these rights!

  4. #28
    You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    The Govonator has anounced that he is going to VETO this bill. Boo-ya!
    lol if they do this the Government will have to deal with the angry gay people.

  5. #29
    I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    pasadena, TX.
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    Thats great that they are passing gay marriges. I think gay people have also the right of the man and wife. Its all fair I mean just because they're the same sex it doesnt mean they cant marry. People have rights in this country and those rights apply to everyone.


    DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

  6. #30
    Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    483
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    What rights are being trampled? They have the right to life, liberty, and the prusite of happiness (which isn't even in the constitution).

    Marrage is the domain of the state, not the federal government. The only thing that the federal government has power over in marrage is the enforcement of legal contracts between states (which marrage is on a secular level). That's why the DoM will probably be found unconstituional.

    Marrage is a union between a man and a woman. It has been for 6000+ years. NOTHING says a gay couple can not live together. Nothing says that they can't legally hold property together. Marrage is not a right. It's not protected anywhere. It's a religious tradtion that the state has decided to recongnize. Nothing more.

    The state grants legal benifits to married couples. That's all. If gays want those legal benifits then they should press Civil Unions. Pushing for marrage is trying to make somthing morally acceptable when the instution that created marrage (religion) says it isn't.


    (My respectful oppinion as always)

  7. #31
    You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore
    .Marrage is a union between a man and a woman. It has been for 6000+ years. NOTHING says a gay couple can not live together. Nothing says that they can't legally hold property together. Marrage is not a right. It's not protected anywhere. It's a religious tradtion that the state has decided to recongnize. Nothing more.
    yep you are right compadre, but now we are in 2005 so anything can happen, lol you have good point with the man should marry women no man man.

  8. #32
    I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    pasadena, TX.
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Cali Senate passes gay marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore
    What rights are being trampled? They have the right to life, liberty, and the prusite of happiness (which isn't even in the constitution).

    Marrage is the domain of the state, not the federal government. The only thing that the federal government has power over in marrage is the enforcement of legal contracts between states (which marrage is on a secular level). That's why the DoM will probably be found unconstituional.

    Marrage is a union between a man and a woman. It has been for 6000+ years. NOTHING says a gay couple can not live together. Nothing says that they can't legally hold property together. Marrage is not a right. It's not protected anywhere. It's a religious tradtion that the state has decided to recongnize. Nothing more.

    The state grants legal benifits to married couples. That's all. If gays want those legal benifits then they should press Civil Unions. Pushing for marrage is trying to make somthing morally acceptable when the instution that created marrage (religion) says it isn't.


    (My respectful oppinion as always)
    Well exactly the pursuit of happiness.....happiness in marrige also These people are fighting for that exact right as we speak. Meh I speak little so excuse me.....


    DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts