Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: goth?

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

goth?

lately i jave been getting into a more gothic style of life, but i've been wondering what is goth music? i recently found that most goths arn't what some people think and proper goths ware stuff of a more aristocrical nature, i like this, so could you please help me with the music so i can find some hardcore goth music. cheers!!
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: goth?

"Goth" is a dead genre, and as a lifestyle, being an honest-to-goodness goth is boring as hell. There is more to being "gothic" than wearing all black -a fact 99.999% of people miss. I blame the death of the goth style on White Wolf Games. Their "Vampire" rpg made being goth seem all cool and hip (qualities which were anathema to the gothic style) and every kid without a social life of their own wanted to be a goth and act all dark and mysterious.

That being said, if you want some modern music of the goth persuasion, I'd recommend starting with some of the bands signed to Cleopatra Records. Cleopatra started off as an indie label for goth and industrial acts, but if you go to the site you'll find that they had to branch out if they wanted to make any money. As I said, goth is a dead genre.

If you want to explore some "classics" of the genre you need to first get hold of an album by Bauhaus then pick up Joy Division and Southern Death Cult. Interestingly you also can tell goth is dead by the fact that Bauhaus and Joy Division spawned the new wave bands Love and Rockets and New Order.

Or, if you want to blend the old and new together, there is a compilation album on Cleopatra called "The Passion of Covers" which features modern goth bands covering Bauhaus tunes.

Either way, good luck and you need to find a new lifestyle.
    Last edited by Zui Quan; Jul 12, 2005 at 10:05 AM.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

*~AO's Guardian Angel~* Akurei Kakudo may be famous one day Akurei Kakudo may be famous one day Akurei Kakudo's Avatar
    Thanks

well i used to be a goth. why im not one now? well i decided not to put myself down by classifying myself into a cattigoy like "goth" or "prep". i mean why cant we all be our own selfs? ok well enough of that. the mucis i loved was just plan rock music and some hard core. like "HIM" or "Metallica" my other goth friends like rock music. down here in miami goths like rock music and hardcore. so most of the time i see GNR t-shirts in black , and id see lots of rock all ovedr with the goths. so all i can say is goth music + miami goths= rock and hardcore music.

thanks for the sig SasuraiHell!!!!

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks, i don't intend to just be a goth and listen purely to that style of music, i'm just interested in what propper goth stuff is like. i doubt it's what i really like... david bwie and queen.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well I know a couple of Goths and I was one for a while but thats in the past now, we generally listened to groups like Cradle of filth and Sepultura and groups that sounded really heavy, ahhh lookin back I realise I was abit of a weiner to say the least......

Newbie Relic Haynes may be famous one day Relic Haynes may be famous one day Relic Haynes's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, all this talk of Gothness and no mention of the Misfits.....

Kimiki

I'm semi-goth, and all-weird. ^_^ I always have been. I've become more comfortable with being weird, though. In fact, I kind of like it.

I'm not into devil-worshipping and anything extreme like that, but I do favor wearing gothic-styled clothing. I've also always been a little disturbing and death-oriented with my poetry, art, and stories.... ^^ I scared my school librarian with a poem about a boy murdering his father because his father killed his mother. She told me that I needed help. XD;

Newbie insane_interpol_fan may be famous one day insane_interpol_fan may be famous one day insane_interpol_fan's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really think you have to listen to certain type of music to be goth, well as long as you like it. I really like to listen to indie kind of music like Interpol *points to avatar* but there's plenty of other things for you to explore musically but my favorite sort of goth band is Skinny Puppy. Good luck in finding yourself!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast