Thread: Graphics cards, Tech Help needed

Newbie TotheEnd may be famous one day TotheEnd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Graphics cards, Tech Help needed

Well... I have an old graphics card.... the Nvidia Riva Tnt64. I thought it could run Directx7 at least like the minimum of the game Half Life. Well Before It began installing HL2 it said I need DirectX9b and it said I already had it so I thought i was good to go. I began playing and into the third checkpoint of the first level the game froze with a repeating sound. It then resurfaced by clickie icon for mouse and I had to go ctrk+alt+del and shut it down. I have the update driver from November 2004... got it directly off the site(www.nvidia.com). Through windows update it still tells me to intsll the older one from.... July 28.2003. That is old but I guess It is what my system should have? Well under the nvidia drivers download update, it shows feforce and tnt2 as one. I guess I need to start saving up.... plz if there is a way to play on this card lemme know....

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks
    Update your Riva TNT2 Model 64 (I didn't see a Riva TNT 64 model, so I think you mean the TNT2 card) drivers from nVidia's website (although the game runs so it's possible that the video card isn't the cause) and update the drivers for any possible hardware on your PC (sound card, etc.).

Then try rebooting and playing that point through again. If the crash resurfaces, check all the processes on your PC and stop all that you don't really need to check if any of them might be the cause. If it doesn't help, then it's either a bug in the game or that you're possibly playing a warez'ed version that might have its own problems. Check Half-Life 2- related message boards.

DO NOT INSTALL THE DRIVER FROM MS, that's worse than doing monkey business.

But since it starts up and plays until the third checkpoint, it runs on your PC. So updating (although is recommended - at least to a Radeon 9600 or something) is not that necessary.

I cannot say more from the provided information.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Also, with a card as old and as limited as the Nvidia TNT, you should go into the Half Life 2 configuration, set the screen resolution to the lowest supported by the game, and disable ALL the 'Eyecandy' options, and see if the games works. If it does, then you can try enabling the graphics options one by one to find what unsupported graphic feature is causing the game to hang...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Funny thing about games: some vary in what they utilize the most from a video card. Both of the above suggestions are exactly what you need to do. And once you get HL3 running right (hooray!), don't be surprised if you have to tweak the settings for other games. I've got an ATI Radeon 9200, which should run everything a year or older just fine, but older games tend to require customization.

Otaku ArchangeL_1979 may be famous one day ArchangeL_1979 may be famous one day ArchangeL_1979's Avatar
    Thanks
    Why not update your video card to 9600XT or 9800 Pro or something.....they are getting pretty cheap now.

I mean what's good in playing all the new games now with Nvidia TNT, if you are only using Lowest support from the games. It's just not the same. A new video card is a good investment, you've had a great run with TNT, now the graphics are better and its time to say goodbye to that old piece of hardware and get yourself a new one. A 9600XT or a 9800 Pro should give you at leat 3 - 4 years max with the new games!

Anime 4-Lyf!