Thread: Great Detectives Poirot and Marple

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Great Detectives Poirot and Marple

Well, I'm certainly glad I stumbled across this anime. It's an adaptation of two Agatha Cristie mystery book series, which I'm thinking about reading now. The main characters are, of course, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple, although Marple is, in the anime, called Aunt Marple, and is the great aunt of Maybelle West, who is apparently a character original to the anime. Anyway, I've seen the first three episodes ( up to 16 are currently available through fansub) and they are very intruiging mysteries. The animation, which was done by Oriental Light and Magic (I thought it was rather odd that they also did the Steel Angel Kurumi OVAs, as well as Pokemon. Kind of an eclectic bunch at this studio, eh?), is not exactly breathtaking, but is still well done, in my opinion. As for the music, the opening and ending themes are... not so good. But the in-show music is great; it's mostly (if not all, I can't remember) classical, and fits the setting of 1830's (I think) England.

So, yeah, if you haven't seen this series, I'd recommend checking it out. And if you have, post about it!

EDIT
    -----

Okay, make that 1930's England. Oh, and I forgot to mention my favorite character: Oliver, the little duckling! He gets licked by a sheep in episode four! It's incredible! Why am I using so many exclamation marks!?
    Last edited by vb0xn4rd; Mar 24, 2005 at 03:31 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Actually, the correct translation of the series full name ('Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple') is 'Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple'. This series is currently being shown on the Japanese goverment sponsered TV network NHK, and has not been licensed for US distribution... It's somewhat unusual as very few anime series are based on US literature, but not unheard of. (Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" is based on a published european children story...)

Official (Japanese) Website...
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/agatha/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Seriously? Poirot is now Anime???

Oh...wow...ummm....is this good?

On the one hand it could be fun... on the other......oh, boy.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Actually, the correct translation of the series full name ('Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple') is 'Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple'. This series is currently being shown on the Japanese goverment sponsered TV network NHK, and has not been licensed for US distribution... It's somewhat unusual as very few anime series are based on US literature, but not unheard of. (Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" is based on a published european children story...)

Official (Japanese) Website...
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/agatha/
    Yes, yes, I know the full name, I just used the shortened title because that's how both AnimeSuki and the fansub group that's distributing it entitle it. I did not, however, know that it was being shown on a government-sponsored network in Japan. Mebbe I'll take a little look-see at this NHK to see what else they show.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

NHK, (Nippon Housou Kyoukai, or translated as Japan Broadcasting Corporation), no doubt with influence of the Japan Ministry of Culture, does have some SIGNIFICANT anime series ever made under it's belt, such as

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (GAINEX produced series that started the 90s anime rebirth after the death of the 'Golden Age' of anime)

Cardcaptor Sakura (Series story structure and script written by CLAMP, and still the best Magical Girl anime series ever made..) Currently being shown in reruns...
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/sakura/index.html

Princess Nine (One of the best written and most under-rated sports anime series I've seen...) ADV Films Princess Nine Website
    http://www.advfilms.com/favorites/pr...ine/index.html

Tsubasa Chronicle (based on the manga 'Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle', the latest CLAMP based anime series, currently in production and schedualed for a release in April of this year...) http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/tsubasa/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku