Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: greater beings???

Otaku Tithe may be famous one day Tithe may be famous one day Tithe's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't belive in angels or any of that bible hooey. Aliens might be possible, my uncle works in a 'area' I forgot what number but he's out near vegas and I asked him if they did alien things there..he just looked at me very seriously for a long and said classified..dodododododo
    A deathless heart alive with greif
    Smiles when it hears of thee
    Whisper now my secret love
    Kiss my lips and rise above

Newbie ritchan-san may be famous one day ritchan-san may be famous one day ritchan-san's Avatar
    Thanks
    After seeing men in black 2 i'm scared i'm going to open up a door and find myself in a locker looking up at a bunch of aliens...

what made me start this was a move i saw... called "what the bleep do we know" its about quantum physics and it made me confused... also i started reading the dark tower series by Stephen King... really deep stuff

Newbie Doobara_Dimagh may be famous one day Doobara_Dimagh may be famous one day Doobara_Dimagh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Here's is a question for you.

If you believe there are beings more intelligent then humans, if they become sufficiently advanced, how do you tell the difference between them and God?
    such circumstances would mean that god is a relative concept. it could also mean that god is a form of technological singularity.

the main issue is finding out whether there are in fact beings that are more evolved than humans elsewhere in the universe, which is presently a problem when you take into account the fact that SETI uses rather primitive (by the hypothetical standards of any higher beings that may exist in the universe) means to make contact. According to SETI, any beings within 50 light-years of our planet should be able to detect our presence if they have radio transmission technology. however SETI has been unable to detect any form of intelligent life out there, let alone godly-advanced civilizations.

Of course, getting from any given really far off point in the universe to earth poses a serious challenege, as doing so would require manipulating space-time in four dimensions (source: hyperspace by micho kaku), which requires enourmous ammounts of energy, however if a civilization manages to achive godlike sophistication it would probably have mastered the manipulation of energy on scales incomprehensible to us humans (they would probably be beyond us as much as we are beyond rhesus monkeys).

So the real question is...Is god merely a techno-moral state of being????????????
    Last edited by Doobara_Dimagh; Apr 24, 2005 at 01:54 AM.
    There is no spoon, Neo.

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Like it's been said before religion is something that you need to come up with for youself.

I was brought up in a catholic family so obviously religion was crammed down my throat since I was born, haha. With all their religious classes and such, but after I was put through all of it, my beliefs were quite a bit different, haha. I mean I'm a pagan in a sense now, so I went to like the complete opposite of the catholic faith. But in the end most religions are all based upon the same ideas.

In my opinion however choosing a religion really isn't anything to worry about, I still don't really believe in anything mainly because I believe that if we were supposed to know what higher forces there are, they'd just come out and tell us, wouldn't you think. So maybe we're not supposed to worship anything, because since no god has ever directly told us that it is the all powerful, there's no way of knowing what exactly is right or wrong. And if you try and think about it to much you start to get dizzy, haha, trust me I tried several times to explain that even if there is a god/gods how did they get to exist themselves, haha.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobara_Dimagh
    such circumstances would mean that god is a relative concept. it could also mean that god is a form of technological singularity.
    So the real question is...Is god merely a techno-moral state of being????????????
    Perhaps his knowlege has even eclipsed the need for what we would recognize as technolgy. At what level in relative technologies does something cease to be percieved as technology and is instead seen as the impossible or a miracle?

If that is the case I would consider it an absolute rather then a relative concept. Either he would exist or he wouldn't. The only thing relative would be our perception of him.

I can't take credit for the concept though. I read about it from a Sci-Fiction author who said he believes in God because he believes in evolution. His logic went that if humanity evolved sufficiently we would become advanced enough to leave this world, terraform or even create others, travel without the need of ships, and our life spans would grow to an unlimited span due to medical science. He wondered what we would do once there was no longer disease, hunger, or age to concern ourselves with. What was left to do when there is no longer a need to toil? His conjecture was that we would create worlds and populate them with others, our "children", which we would try to guide in how to evolve themselves. He believed that if you truly believe in evolution then it is perfectly logical to believe it has already happened and that that is what God is.

It was a unique perspective. Personally I don't believe in exo-species evolution (as compared to genetic drift) but it was an interesting and well thought out concept that did provoke alot of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    In my opinion however choosing a religion really isn't anything to worry about, I still don't really believe in anything mainly because I believe that if we were supposed to know what higher forces there are, they'd just come out and tell us, wouldn't you think. So maybe we're not supposed to worship anything, because since no god has ever directly told us that it is the all powerful, there's no way of knowing what exactly is right or wrong....
    Really? I was under the impression that the Bible and other religious texts did exactly that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    And if you try and think about it to much you start to get dizzy, haha, trust me I tried several times to explain that even if there is a god/gods how did they get to exist themselves, haha.
    Hmmm....I think Doobara and I might have just covered that. lol
    Last edited by Arrianna; Apr 24, 2005 at 12:54 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku bugsbunnyx may be famous one day bugsbunnyx may be famous one day
    Thanks
    after reading all this ive realised why christianity is sooo popular.....its just easier.......one god..pray be good, you will go to heaven.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    uh, that and christianity is sort of a broad term seeing that there's how many versions? Protestant, Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Mormon... I mean I know I'm missing tons but honestly, there's alot!

Newbie RAve master may be famous one day RAve master may be famous one day RAve master's Avatar
    Thanks
    Religion is need to choose the path were you belong there are many other Religion in the world there every were it's important to choose the right path so that you or your Family,Friends etc......
    The Strong Shall Live And The Weak Shall Die

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast