Thread: The growing trend / response toObscenity Here

Dan
    Newbie Dan may be famous one day Dan may be famous one day
    Thanks

The growing trend / response toObscenity Here

You know what is sad? I have to agree with them to a point. I don't like the way it was brought up. Something has to be done here / on the board. The quality of posts have been slipping, and when you compare it to some of the other sites, it does look like we have a lot of the rejects / leftovers. How do we go about changing this? Delete everyone and start over / keep the smart ones?? (that was a joke) Offer services that will lure over some of the users from other boards? One of the big problems I see is, a good intelligent topic can be started, but will go to hell with all the kids. After that happens no one that can post a good topic will, as they don’t see the point. I know I have not been of much help the past 5 months, and I don’t know where to start. I own another site, Vwsport.com ( Volkswagens are a big hobby of mine), it has a locked section, where everyone can view, but only invited people can post. I don’t know how well this would go over here, I doubt it would even work here, but its an idea. Please toss out your ideas.

I don’t like the direct the site is going, but I am not even sure its possible to change it?

Dan

AO co-founder Cybergig1 may be famous one day Cybergig1 may be famous one day Cybergig1's Avatar
    Thanks
    basically we have to have no mercy on the worst posters/violators and just get rid of them. As all they do is bring in more like themselves and or get rid of the descent members

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

I much as I hate Forum self-censoring, we could re-implement the minimum word count for posts. That would weed out a lot of the trivial posts, and make the Spammers much more obvious....
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    In my experience of working on a forum Im going to throw up some suggestions. As much as I hate to say it We need to make a forum where people WANT To post. Dealing with spamming problem is the only way I know how is close spam topics we have let "slip" and get scrict on the spam. This site use to be one hell of a site but went to hell the moment all the n00bs started to come. We need to get some of the old members back and posting. so here are some of my suggestions ^_^

1) Set coppa settings: This will make it posible to keep the kids out that are new to forum posting I mean Im not trying to be mean or anything but Yeah

2) Super Mods: I would suggest we bring the super mods back no offence to dan or gig but with 2 admins just not cuting it with the mass ammount of people.

3) Post modoration: Im pretty sure there is a way we can set it to where the most offending spammers on the board has to go into Post modoration. The mods will have to keep track of topics via the mod CP kinda like the gallery (donno how well that will go over)

4) active staff Not that Im saying we don't have an active staff now but for the past few weeks I have seen myself Zui GallComp Gig Dan and Sekia (sometimes) pretty much active. maybe we should recrut more staff?

Meh thats all I can think up right now I will post more when the ideas hit me :P

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks
    We need that old hack where we could see the last six posts/threads made, it was easier to find crappy titles than going thru all the sections of the forums. I will second on the request #4 made by LK, seriously we need more active people to monitor when none of the current ones is online.

Also on the #2 propposal, there is no need for supermods we all moderate the whole site, the only benefit of that status is the ability of ban members, but as experience has been shown (from pre-Big AO bang) it is better to let the banning decision to the man who has run this community for more that 5 years. Something that we don't need is any of us going on a power trip and start banning people for the minimun reason. Note: yeah it did happened before, we once had the power to ban members from the debate section and it didn't worked out.

AO co-founder Cybergig1 may be famous one day Cybergig1 may be famous one day Cybergig1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Katsuhito
    2) Super Mods: I would suggest we bring the super mods back no offence to dan or gig but with 2 admins just not cuting it with the mass ammount of people.
    The only thing added is their ability to ban so I dont really see supermods as being a savior idea to really help change much. In the long run leads to me still having to get involved as whomever they are will always be seen as vengeful and doing so out of spite. As in the last time we did them I ended up doing more just fixing things they did and answering for things they did then when we didn't have them. So I dont and probably never will see that listing as easing any workload. Trust me we've run it with 2 admins and 3 times as many people and probably 10 times as many active people. It works because there aren't that many people needing to be banned on any given month even. Just rules needing to be enforced without question to give people less thought into being morons for no reason. People will argue it but what made the old AO work is Ty and I playing good cop bad cop. You can question his methods but the fact is I let him rule with an iron fist because at the end of the day it worked. The members feared breaking rules because of him but weren't "afraid" to the bone because they knew I was here at the same time. Problem is I doubt he'd do it like we used to and so it wouldn't work, but what we need is that same dynamic.
    All we really need is mods who are always on and thus possibly adding a few more. AKA more people pushing the rules rather than just that many more people making up more rules that aren't enforced.
    Problem is I haven't seen that many people I'm comforatable making mods as most of them who could be deemed as possible "nominations" are all brown nowsers and would end up being real snobs if they became mods......we dont exactly have a good crop basically

I can buy into the supermod idea though. Give me some good examples of what supermods can do to make things better and I'd say its a possibility. I wouldn't mind giving Zui a bit more crippling power because he reminds me of a old Fuhrer we used to have, and I can definitely see him to an extent if not maybe even in a better fashion fitting a role similar yet maybe not as "hated" heh drop me a pm Zui I got a few ideas for you. As he does in fact keep a better track of trouble makers than anyone else. Not that others dont but I get more in depth things from him than anyone. and have so for years now
    Last edited by Cybergig1; May 09, 2005 at 11:39 AM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybergig1
    I wouldn't mind giving Zui a bit more crippling power because he reminds me of a old Fuhrer we used to have, and I can definitely see him to an extent if not maybe even in a better fashion fitting a role similar yet maybe not as "hated" heh drop me a pm Zui I got a few ideas for you. As he does in fact keep a better track of trouble makers than anyone else. Not that others dont but I get more in depth things from him than anyone. and have so for years now

Damn. Now I'm curious...

On the other hand, the last time you had "a few ideas" for me I spent two weeks cleaning the restrooms at AO Towers.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.