Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: halloween

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: halloween

Maybe I should explain better.

The Romans had a tendancy after conquering an area to replace the names of the areas Gods with the coresponding ones from their own pantheon. If there wasn't a matching one they just added a new story. Now remember the full name of the Catholic church in question? The Holy Roman Catholic church.

The Catholic church as a result had historically a tendency to change the names of local god/desses to the names of saints and the dates of their festivals to the same as festivals previously practiced by the native populace. It was an attempt to surplant the previous celebration with their new one. For the most part it worked. Hence Christmas is on "Winter Fest", Easter at the same time as previous spring festivals, and the Catholic celebration of the dead was put at the same time as Samhein, the wiccan holiday of the dead, with the pre-festivities taking place the same night as other festivities.

The is no proof that the Catholics did it on purpose but they did it.... alot. Of course there were traditions that mergered with the Catholic ones, but that didn't bother them. Many traditions people consider pagan however actually have roots in the Catholic church due to similarities in symbolism. Celibrate the birth of a new life in the spring, certain things will come up. Celebrate those who have died, certain things will come up.

Now here's where it gets fun. Alot of the places where the traditions come from don't celebrate them. Why? Because the holiday celebrations are Catholic and the country is predominatly.... Prodestant. One of the things the Prodestant religions were protesting about the Catholic church was its pagentry found in its ceremonies and festivities. It was considered lightminded and ungodly. As a result until the Luthorians came to the US from Germany and brough all of it with them most of those holiday traditions had died out. In the US they had a new rebirth (though considered scandalous at first) and have started to spread back out to the countries they originated from.

If you wish to know how the holidays were supposed to be celebrated however (keeping in mind that like everything else in the US our traditions are a mongrel) look at those countries where the Catholic church never lost power. There you will find celebrations of All Hallows Eve still practiced with all the pagentry any little heart could desire. My sister lived in the Philippines for awhile. Her stories of picnics at the family graves, etc are fascinating.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Dai
    Otaku Dai may be famous one day Dai may be famous one day Dai's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going! I'm either gonna be a witch or faerie!
    I just love the cute little costumes with wings and fluffy skirts!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to look into this, I still believe haloween came from the celtics.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Last time I dressed up was to give away candy on the main street where I used to live. It wasn't a big city so circulation could easy be halted, candy stations installed and delivered by people who were voluntary. I was one of them. I had put on some sort of Chinese motifed clothes and the big round hats that was workers wear sometimes in anime.

All I can remember is that there were tons of kids, tons of candy and I could eat all I wanted at the same time XD

But around this time, it always seems to snow a bit so it gets very cold....we've alerady managed to have frozen puddles and a bit of snow a few days ago. I won't do anything this year, just gonna relax with friends and watch a few movies that may give a small scare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Otaku tom_san may be famous one day tom_san may be famous one day tom_san's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sevothtarte
    Didn't realize seeing this one coming until about a week ago.

I have surgery the day of, and I have some school work to go on top of that.

Somehow, someway, "fun" will be squeezed in there.
    mabye the nurses will give you extra sweet glob!

i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

ha. i havent trick-o-treating since 2000. instead, i get a videogame of my choice and all the extra candy from our selection (which is always a lot because no one bothers to walk up our driveway ) if i was going trick-o-treating, i'd be like the grim reaper, darth vader or someone evil

Newbie Butterfly éthérée may be famous one day Butterfly éthérée may be famous one day
    Thanks

I don't like Halloween a lot. I remember, last Halloween, my brothers frightened the childrens who were trick-or-treating. Very funny, really...

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Trick or treat!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast