View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Problem?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not really

1 5.26%
  • Yes, it is

18 94.74%
  • I have no opinion

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has Obesity plagued the US???

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Has Obesity plagued the US???

Relatively uncommon in African and Asian developing countries, America's obesity rates have given us something to ponder about. The current statistics are having a Body Mass Index of 30 or more. I can related because, I am one of these statistics.

Currently, 30% of the US population is obese, which is a dramatic increase from the 15-25 % as of 20 some years ago. The prevalence of obesity has EVEN increased by about 10% to 40% in the majority of European countries over the past 10 years!

Here is a sad case story I found while browsing the internet, a man telling his tale:

I come from a family of obese people. Most of them are around 300 pounds or more. About a year ago I decided that I was sick of being obese myself. I could not stand the pain shooting up the heel of my foot, or the fact that I kept having pain in my chest. I felt doomed to die of a heart attack.

Simply put, is this a pertinent issue???

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Has Obesity plagued the US???

I believe only a small percentage of it really is a "disease" (for lack of a better word) related issue. Mostly us Americans are lazy over eaters that don't exercise. Furthermore the types of foods we eat aren't as health as other nations and these are the primary drivers of the obesity rate being so high. Again I am not say that all obese people are lazy, or eat too much. I fully understand and know that some people have a "disease" but a majority of people can't really say that in my opinion.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Its our eating patterns, and the fast pace we go at that limits exercise.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Its our eating patterns, and the fast pace we go at that limits exercise.
    True but you can make time for anything, thus the fast pace is only the excuse we use to cover our own laziness.

Otaku emmy_chan may be famous one day emmy_chan may be famous one day emmy_chan's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe at a certain point in your life you are mature enough to know what your eating and if it is healthy or unhealthy. I can understand some people gain weight because its a disease or your depressed. but the rest is pure laziness. I know its hard to eat 1 cookie instead of six, this is dependent upon your will power of making the right decision.
    Don't let me be.

Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Thanks

i'd like to know why they call it a "disease." cancer is a disease. alzheimers is a disease. obesity: **** no. either being obese runs in the family or u're just fast food patron. all there is to it. some of these ppl could get off their lazy asses and tack off probably 20 lbs just from walking. use of muscle and the human skeletal structure may help shed some of that goo off.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a mixture between our food and our lifestyle. Most people are doing jobs that require them to sit on thier ass behind a computer all day. Lack of exersize + bad diet = extra calories = fat. It's pretty bad when Ronald McDonald is telling you to exersize in commercials just so McDonald's doesn't get sued again.

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

It's actually considered a disease for some...

http://www.obesity.org/

Provides all the facts on it...but its really sad because its more common in the US because of, yes...the fast paced lifestyle and we are a wealthy society who likes to sit around all day and shove our faces with food.

When I think about the poor people in Ethiopia and Iran, they hardly recieve food.

Here's another pathetic, distressing factoid: did you know that middle aged, AMERICAN women are TWICE as likely to develop unipolar depression than people from starving countries, such as ethiopia and Iran? We are truly a spoiled country. We just don't realize how good we have it until something like Hurricane Katrina hits...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast