View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Problem?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not really

1 5.26%
  • Yes, it is

18 94.74%
  • I have no opinion

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has Obesity plagued the US???

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Has Obesity plagued the US???

Nah, I don't think it's a disease. That's like saying that laziness is a disease. It's nonsense. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I have plenty of... big.. friends. They know that they're fat and that they could fix it if they wanted to. One of my friends is in the process, he's lost about 40 lbs in only a month. How? Not diet pills or supplements, just by eating healthy and exersizing.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Obesity is not a disease. It is the cause of diesease. Diabetes, heart disease, and DEATH! If it runs in the family, then... well... That family is not setting very good examples of health for their decendants.

Obesity is a choice. You can choose to obesity. My aunt weighed almost 350 pounds... and she is 5'5! She was in danger of dying... She's only just turned 30!! But she stood up and said NO... She chose to shape her own destiny. Through diet change and exercise, she has dropped her weight to 170!! WOW - She's lost 180 pounds. And she is losing more and more everyday.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, but I hope it isn't dangerous loosing so much weight, how long did it take to loose so much weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a bit overweight, I don't really care. While I may have a few extra pounds, I'm fairly fit otherwise. I have no trouble keeping up with life, never short on breath, and have more flexible legs than any other guy I've ever met. Can you guys do a split? Well I can't anymore but I still come within an inch of the ground.....if I still did streches I would be touching it again.

Newbie Felnor may be famous one day Felnor may be famous one day Felnor's Avatar
    Thanks

Obesity is not a disease. Thats nonsense. You don't have to be fat. Go and get some exercise and join a gym and stop eating those bloody McDonalds and you'll lose weight very quickly. To say its a disease is a pathetic excuse that fat, weak minded people use to get out of having do actually do something about it. Obese people are never happy with themselves unless their either too ignorant or stupid to care. There is no excuse for obesity. It all boils down to the simple fact the fat guy is to lazy to do anything about it. That does not make it a disease.

Is the US too fat? well British TV says so, so it must be true!
    "Walk On, Walk On, With Hope In Your Heart And You'll Never Walk Alone"

http://jadeli.proboards58.com/ - Join if you got nothing better to do!

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life
    Nice, but I hope it isn't dangerous loosing so much weight, how long did it take to loose so much weight?
    It took her almost 5 years to lose it all. Her dr. said there were a lot of risks involved. And she is going in for cosmetic surgery in a few weeks - extra skin.

I am a little overwieght myself. Am I what is considered "obese"? No. But I could care less about what anyone thinks. I am healthy, I exercise, and have changed my eating habits. I am more concerned about being healthy than anything.

And anyway - when it comes to the comestic aspect: I will NEVER be a size ZERO, nor would I want to be. My body is not designed to be too small.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Here we go again. lol

Obesity <--previous thread from 08-25-2005 through 09-12-2005.

Since it's pretty long I'll simply summerize what I said last time.

"Here's a test for you. [Weight (lbs) รท height (in)2 ] x 704.5 =BMI] If your score is 30 or more you're thought to be obese, 25-29.9 is considered overweight.

Now here's the kicker. According to their calculations if you are 5' tall and weigh 130 you are overweight and at 155 you are considered obese. Or shall we try the average heighths for men and women? At 5'6" 155lbs is considered overweight and 185lbs is obese. At 5'8" 165lbs is overweight and 195lbs is obese."

This is the standard from the AOA (American Obesity Association), the organization who has declared the epidemic. According to them everyone I know who is physically fit is considered at least overweight if not obese.

Next, there are four reasons for excess weight:
    1)genetics,
    2)health,
    3)over eating,
    4)undereating.

Those who have the "disease" obesity are genetically predisposed to it. It's nasty and a serious problem. IMHO classifiying anyone over an "ideal" weight as obese is demeaning to those with real problems and only makes the situation, socially, worse and possibly makes it that much harder for those who need to to lose weight.

"They actually did a study on the mental affects on weight loss once. An entire group tried to lose weight composing of three groups; the first needed to lose and was concerned about it, the second didn't really need to lose but still wanted to, and the third needed to lose but didn't obsess or worry about it. At the end of the trial the first group had gained weight, the second were the same, and the third had lost an average of 2 lbs a week.

Something to think about."

And finally:
    "My definition of healthy is whether someone can run around the block or not. If they can't they're out of shape and need to get more exercise. Other then that who cares what they look like?"

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes it is, it's just this simple:
    1)Can get a heart attack
    2)Can die
    Well there's more but yeah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast