View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Problem?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not really

1 5.26%
  • Yes, it is

18 94.74%
  • I have no opinion

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Has Obesity plagued the US???

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Has Obesity plagued the US???

Here's a new thought....

Is it possible that a big reason that people are having trouble losing weight in industrial countries is a lack of sleep?

It occured to me after a bad bout of insomnia the other day that when I don't get enough sleep I cannot lose weight. Either I simply don't have the necessary energy to expend in exercise or my metabolism simply isn't working correctly. So I checked the web.

Sleep Deprivation Information

According to this the average American only sleeps 6.9hours a night but needs 8-9hours. It looks like the other industrial countries are not far behind.

Symptoms:
    Exhaustion and fatigue affect our emotional moods, causing pessimism, sadness, stress and anger.
    Insufficient rest adversely affects the frontal cortex's ability to control speech, access memory, and solve problems.
    otherwise healthy people quickly show symptoms of age and early diabetes as glucose metabolism falls by up to forty percent.

And that can be applied to 1/4 of the adult population.

Oh, wait... Sleep Deprivation May Cause Weight Gain(<--link), nevermind.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku yanna may be famous one day yanna may be famous one day yanna's Avatar
    Thanks

Holy Crap.....I'm Fat....Yeh who really cares at least all my fat is muscle I am a good 212 but at least I dont look like some of the other kids at school thats why you work out and loose all the excess fa and all. Holy Crap how hard is that? Umm yeh I don't know what you would consider obese for a seventeen year old at 6'1'' to be but I don't quite think that i have to worry about anything at all. Maybe all of you people who think that you are fat do something about it. Holy crap don't talk about it do something about it. If you want to say you are fat and don't do anything about it then you can't complain I will just call you a crack head. How is this for having something to argue about?
    I am insane and I am loving every hour of it? Any problems?

voluntarily left site Alegos may be famous one day Alegos may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Is it possible that a big reason that people are having trouble losing weight in industrial countries is a lack of sleep?
    Yeah, that's a good negative correlation (amount of sleep down, weight up) and may be a contributing factor, I'm hesitant to say it's a cause since there isn't mention of a successful replication of that study mentioned in your last link. Then again, you can always fall back on the blanket answer of "stress." Americans experience a lot of stress every day, and stress may be the cause of insomnia as well. But what causes stress? One might speculate that the increasing level of competition (the American psyche of "being the best"), and the "McDonaldization" (I don't mean the increase of McDonald's restaurants and consumption) of America, may all contribute to stress. But if you want a professional opinion, consult a psychologist or a qualified physician... Or some mean googling skills (for legitimate resources) could work.

I however, have never been overweight. In fact quite the opposite, I'm underweight, I'm a 19 year old male and I'm almost constantly at 110Lbs (50Kg) it raises between 1-5 lbs occasionally but apparently my Set-Point weight is at 110. I've tried exercising, changing my diet, and even trying the lifestyle of what people claim makes other people fat (ie: doing nothing but sitting and watching tv and eating, but I decided I valued my health and ceased that). In the end I've gained little weight, in the way of fat, muscle, or otherwise. Some people say "Oh, you're so lucky!" and "I wish I had your metabolism!" but it really isn't all that great. Idealy, you should be at the point where it takes some effort to maintain your weight, some people don't try to be fat, and I certainly don't try to be skinny, so the only option is, striving to be mediocre. (Which might be a concept hard to grasp for some)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, that used to be me as well... then I got sick and my health went to heck. I haven't gained any in 3 yrs but it's hard to lose. I find it very significant that both for my own and my sisters condition one of the first things the doctor stressed was the need to get plenty of sleep. No matter what else I do if I don't get enough sleep my health crashes again and I can't lose.

hmmmm.... (lets see)

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

it's not a plague, we saw it coming...

literally...

teehee teehee

::heart:: Abu Dhabi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4