Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen Akira?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -Maniac-
    ive never seen it...
    Then go out and see it...NOW! (Or read the manga)

Newbie animenet may be famous one day animenet may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Tetsuo was pretty wierd at the end....and most of my friends didnt really get that part, but i did.

Newbie Linksc24gc may be famous one day Linksc24gc may be famous one day Linksc24gc's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The movie 'Akira' is generally considered the ultimate expression of art from the 'Golden Age' of anime of the mid 1970s to late 1980s. The movie is worth seeing for any self declared anime fan, as it was a significant influence on the cyberpunk genre, and influenced other movie works, such as 'Ghost in the Shell', and the 'Matrix' series.

How very right that you are

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Linksc24gc
    How very right that you are
    He's ALWAYS right!
    Go offer him some fine young virgins if you don't want to feel his wrath.

Newbie Rassius Luin may be famous one day Rassius Luin may be famous one day Rassius Luin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey, I saw a movie titled Akira once. As far as I remember, it was at the end part.. there was a policeman/woman in a tunnel.. (was it a cop or just a civilian?) Akira was an alein in that movie.. then there was this big explosion that destroyed the city and akira. Well I dont know really but was part of the movie that you guys are talking about?

Newbie Dezzy may be famous one day Dezzy may be famous one day Dezzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yea it's only the Anime which broke the genre to the rest of the world. It also probly started the whole cartoons for grown-ups type thing as well.
    I am Back.........(i think)

Newbie Firion may be famous one day Firion may be famous one day Firion's Avatar
    undisclosed location trying to rebel against the emperor, and in a rebellion against the emperor.
    Thanks
    i'm guessing it did for that type of thing.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezzy
    It also probly started the whole cartoons for grown-ups type thing as well.

Not quite. The majority of the cartoon produced by American animation studios in the 1930's and 1940's were made for an adult audience. Racist jokes, Gay jokes, war propoganda, racy depictions of actresses -those weren't put into the cartoons for the kiddies. Also there was a sort of mini-boom of adult-oriented animated features that were made in the 1960's and 1970's which included Fritz the Cat, Fantastic Planet, and Wizards in the US (mostly the efforts of Harry Crumb and Ralph Bakshi) and French-produced films like Heavy Metal and Ranxerox in the late 70's/early 80's.

What can be said about Akira is that it was one of the first widely-distributed animation projects from Japan to show there was more to anime than just the commonly held stereotypes of mindless cute, giant robots, and tentacle sex.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast