Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the Heaven stereotype

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Here's the thing. Almost every religion has some state of higher being after death. But like other things in their theology, nearly no religion agrees as to what that is. The doaist 'heaven' is the mormon hell.

And about hell. Why does everyone know what hell will look like? There is definitely not any more comformity about conceptions of hell than there is about heaven. As this thread is obviously coming from a christian perspective, state me a book and verse number, if you would, that describes hell. As it stands right now, my understanding that the current christian conception of hell comes entirely from Dante's Inferno and Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    Here's the thing. Almost every religion has some state of higher being after death. But like other things in their theology, nearly no religion agrees as to what that is. The doaist 'heaven' is the mormon hell.
    Really? Would you like to elaborate?

I believe that after we die we will be with others like US. Whether that would be heaven or hell would depend on the person. Do you want to spend eternity with others like you?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Am I responding as to how religions disagree on an afterlife, or to the daoist heaven, mormon hell? I guess I can do both.

Christian religions are somewhat uniform in their conception of an after life. There is a heaven, hell, and if you're roman catholic, a purgatory. In order to get to heaven, you must believe in God and the resurection of Jesus Christ, and recognize that he died for you. The acceptance of gentiles into the fold.

Is this the same way one reaches enlightennment or nirvana in eastern religions? By simply believing and adhering? Is an enlightenned state or existing in nirvana the same conception of the christian heaven? Considering that reincarnation isn't recognized in christianity, and the Bhuddists don't even have a god in the same sense, I think not.

As for the Doaist heaven being the Mormon hell. Mormon hell is an absence from god and everything else, pure isolation. Well, the Doaist heaven is pure peace, uninterrupted and free from influence, as I understand it.

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deaths_raver667
    i'm not christian so i don't beleive in heaven, as for death, why fear the inevitable, it's gonna happen sometime why not accept it.
    Yet, if you were diagnosed with terminal cancer, I'm sure you'd cry about dying just like everyone else.

As for the afterlife and what it is like, I've never died before so I have no idea what it'll be like. I can't even begin to comprehend something that transcends the normal bounds of human consciousness. If there is a God, I believe he is just some kind of higher planar being who made the universe like we would make a machine. Hell, the universe is even breaking down, just like our own machines (universe is becoming more entropic). Then in turn, his level of existence was made by a higher being, whose world was made by a higher being, ad inifinium. So, "heaven" would be that plane of existence which defies the bounds of our currents senses. To think of it terms of clouds, castles, and gold seems a little....silly.
    Last edited by dark_glaive; Apr 23, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Otaku kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885's Avatar
    Thanks
    death is just another way to us to think about our self in ways or place to die, but as long as you living in this world you have to live, but think it this way if we don't die "Hitler" will take over the talk about the history

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshi2885
    death is just another way to us to think about our self in ways or place to die, but as long as you living in this world you have to live, but think it this way if we don't die "Hitler" will take over the talk about the history
    Could you rewrite that in some sort of intelligible manner?

I refer you to this: http://img.penny-arcade.com/2003/20030707l.jpg
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Otaku kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_glaive
    Could you rewrite that in some sort of intelligible manner?

I refer you to this: http://img.penny-arcade.com/2003/20030707l.jpg
    what is your point
    Last edited by kenshi2885; Apr 23, 2005 at 07:46 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    Am I responding as to how religions disagree on an afterlife, or to the daoist heaven, mormon hell? I guess I can do both.

Christian religions are somewhat uniform in their conception of an after life. There is a heaven, hell, and if you're roman catholic, a purgatory. In order to get to heaven, you must believe in God and the resurection of Jesus Christ, and recognize that he died for you. The acceptance of gentiles into the fold.

Is this the same way one reaches enlightennment or nirvana in eastern religions? By simply believing and adhering? Is an enlightenned state or existing in nirvana the same conception of the christian heaven? Considering that reincarnation isn't recognized in christianity, and the Bhuddists don't even have a god in the same sense, I think not.

As for the Doaist heaven being the Mormon hell. Mormon hell is an absence from god and everything else, pure isolation. Well, the Doaist heaven is pure peace, uninterrupted and free from influence, as I understand it.
    I was actually referring to the last part. The "Mormon Hell" isn't quite that simple but I don't know enough of Doaist beliefs to compare them. I was hopeing you could enlighten me so I could compare them side by side.

As for the rest of it, I don't believe that Catholics are the only one's who believe in Purgatory. I also don't think that enlightenment is considered simple belief. I would be interested to hear the Buddist veiw of Hell and the afterlife though considering that I have been told that there are Buddists who do believe in God because Budda did, and there are others who only believe in Budda??? Needless to say I have never heard an answer on the subject.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast