Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the Heaven stereotype

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I would be interested to hear the Buddist veiw of Hell and the afterlife though considering that I have been told that there are Buddists who do believe in God because Budda did, and there are others who only believe in Budda??? Needless to say I have never heard an answer on the subject.
    The overall answer is that the afterlife is non-applicable for Buddist belief. The Buddist religion has the same general beliefs as the Hindu religion, that when you die, your reborn, with the status of your new life is dependent on how well you lived your previous life. (And if you lived your life really really bad, you could be reborn as a toad or an insect. This also explains why you see in movies, buddist monks think it's bad kharma to go swatting at flies and mosquitos) Though the strengh of this belief is also dependent on what 'sect' of the Buddist religion your quoting from. Now a belief in both God and the Budda is plausible as the Budda does not claim to be a god, and makes no statement on the existence or non-existence of gods. Also I have heard mention of studies comparing Zen Buddist and Christian religions, and finding no contradictions between the core beliefs.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Also I have heard mention of studies comparing Zen Buddist and Christian religions, and finding no contradictions between the core beliefs.
    I was actually thinking about that when I was posting. I won't get into my personal beliefs but I will say that it has a lot to do with the similarities you find in every religion. In terms of an afterlife, though, they are rather different, which I believe reflects the various cultures that different religions come from.

Newbie Kohji may be famous one day Kohji may be famous one day
    Thanks

Thumbs up Life and Death

My personal thoughts:

As a place you arrive at after death, no I don't believe in the existance of that heaven. The concept of a heaven is one that helps people cope with their fear of death; since death is unexperienced and unknown to us, this scares us the most. The notion of not being able to wake up one morning, to have your entire world disappear around you, to never see your loved ones again, to have all your pain and effort gone is a disturbing one. This is one concept that many people are not able to come to terms with; many prefer to be in delusion (out of mind, out of sight). What we're able to observe now is this, you are born, you experience life, and you die (this is inevitable). Instead of fearing your death, go out and live your life to the fullest, enjoy the beauty that is living, and appreciate each passing day; because this is the only life you'll ever have.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    Is this the same way one reaches enlightennment or nirvana in eastern religions? By simply believing and adhering? Is an enlightenned state or existing in nirvana the same conception of the christian heaven? Considering that reincarnation isn't recognized in christianity, and the Bhuddists don't even have a god in the same sense, I think not.
    You are correct that this is not the case with the Buddist religion. The state of enlightenment is reached through the control of wants and desires. This is not as easy as it sounds, as wanting to avoid wants and desires is still a want!!! You can reduce this to the simple statement of "Don't Worry, Be Happy", and not be bothered by conflicts beyond your control.

This is different from the Christian concept of Heaven, as going to Heaven is a reward you obtain in the afterlife, while 'Enlightenment' is not a reward in the afterlife, but a concept and goal on how to live your life in the present...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe that when you die, every person will attain a certain happiness at the end of it. Heaven is nothing more than a state of consciousness that every person must decide what that state is.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie Doobara_Dimagh may be famous one day Doobara_Dimagh may be famous one day Doobara_Dimagh's Avatar
    Thanks
    heaven is probably a street name for infinite-dimensional space.
    There is no spoon, Neo.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    In my opinion everyone has their own personal version of heaven, and a personal version of hell. If hell is the place of eternal suffering, it's got to be something that would suck for you. Not just simply roasting over the flames of hell. Heaven is similar in the good way as long as your pleasures aren't sinful. That's how I see it.

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithe
    I'm with death raver. I'm not afraid first of all you live a long time I know lots of people over 90 years old! your stupid to worry uless your like in you 70-90s that is but when you die I belive there is no heaven hell or rencarnation you brain is just slowly devouered by maggots. And if you do belive in heaven then you should make your own heaven here and live in the moment not wait forever for something that might not be true.
    This forum is pretty much over after a quote like that. Is there anyone who could possibly disagree?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast