Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help for first timers

Newbie KaiserD may be famous one day KaiserD may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Colouring is not so much difficult as it is taxing of patience. Once you have blocked colours in, it's a case of layering more shades thin to make it smooth, once you can colour the more difficult thing is consistent lighting. But that's all stuff you pick up with practice.

You have to walk before you can run and all that..

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks
    See when I color my colors get in the wrong spot and.... okay I'm just lazy, or am I?

Thanks
    What do you mean "get them in the wrong spot" exactly? You mean like make a mistake?

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mistake yes, and colored pencils cannot erase that well.

Thanks
    When I said colouring I was talking Photoshop. Yeah natural medias are a pain in the backside but that's what makes them so great...they take proper mastery and I think there's a lot more respect in paints and markers than there is in CG colouring.

I don't even remember how long I've been drawing/painting/CGing but I'll tell you now there's not a single picture I havn't made at least one mistake on. Even if it's a small one! I don't use colouring pencils because they can look really flat, anime and fantasy in particular require more dynamic colouring.

Paints can seem daunting, but try investing in some watercolour pencils to get started, they are a teeny bit costly but they last forever lol . You can do all kinds of effects mixing the pencils and the water, or weting the brush and rub the tip of the pencil gives a very sharp colour. They are a great introduction to paints.

With water colours you can also get this awesome rubber stuff. I only discovered it like 6 months ago even though I had a jar of it that came with a paint pack I bought for college. It's in a liquid form and you paint it on the outside of the lines you want to protect (like masking) so when it hardens and you accidently paint over it, your surface is still protected! All you do is peel it right off again...amazing stuff.

Or perhaps I'm just easily amused.

All I can recommend with pencils is take your time so you don't ruin the edges. There might be someone else who can give you better help with that.

Thanks
    Okay, has anyone yet tried my tips?

Otaku Spooked_Ninja may be famous one day Spooked_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks
    A great website that helps me draw is www.polykarbon.com! it really help the beginners!

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you make a mistake using traditional mediums, and it's a medium that cannot be erased (color pencils, charcoal, paints), then either work around it or over it. You can paint over any mistakes (though not too many times), but yeah I suppose you can't with color pencils. So work around it. Take your mistake, say it wasn't a mistake at all, and make it into part of the picture. Otherwise *shrugs*, start again. Your new picture will probably be better than the old one, coz you know you won't make the same mistakes.

But hey, listen to KaiserD: the expert artist XP. Me bows to the master *bows*
    Whaaaat KaiserD? You didn't use masking rubber in art classes O__O?
    関西は最高やねん

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast