Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: on helping friends overcome breakups...

Newbie Himura_Patty may be famous one day Himura_Patty may be famous one day Himura_Patty's Avatar
    Thanks

on helping friends overcome breakups...

hey there...going through another one of those:My friend's boyfriend broke up with her...
    Written a nice heartfelt note for her on live journal...it seems like it's the only thing i can do for her...it's so hard to see a friend constantly get herself in this kind of predicament...anyone been through it???
    Himura Patty, also known as the Devil...oh yeah...I am Batman!

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks

Lol...

Try having a good friends who are Polyamorious and trying to live as a triad. I commend them for their efforts though they have the problems of a normal relationship time 4 for each person (say they're A, they have to work on relation ship A & B, A & C and A,B,C together).

As for people whom get upset over breakups, unless it's been a few years it's not worth more than a few days of adjustment.

[J]

Newbie Blaz may be famous one day Blaz may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Been on both sides (the frind giving help and the friend recieving help). I usually recommend beer and video games where you can kill things for the guys. Ice cream and a chick flick tends to bode well for the ladies. But with either gender it's usually best to just listen and let them vent about the ex.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz
    Ice cream and a chick flick tends to bode well for the ladies. But with either gender it's usually best to just listen and let them vent about the ex.
    *nods at the ice-cream* DEFINITELY helps lol....having been there, done that. Not necessarily chick flicks tho....esp the ones that tend to be on the romantic side.....ice-cream and anime works well find an up beat anime, big tub of ice-cream and two spoons. mwhahaha....

But other than that....mmm yep, just let them know you're there for them. Don't try and make them talk if they don't want to, but keep checking up on them....just knowing that a friend is there makes a world of difference. They'll talk when they sort things out in their head....or when they feel like talking. Each person deals with it differently, with different amounts of time so just give them space, but be near to be ready to lend a shoulder, ear, or even be a little punching bag :P

If your friend starts trying to act normal....and you've asked if they're alright....act along with them, getting back into a regular routine will help them forget about the past.....but be cautious and look for signs that they're falling, cuz some are good at faking to others, but not to themselves.

I don't know....you know your friend best...there's no right or wrong, it's something they need to go through, and your friend's lucky to have you
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

a17
    Newbie a17 may be famous one day a17 may be famous one day a17's Avatar
    Thanks
    beer, and sweet stuff help distract saddened minds and keep them company, and really if relationship wasnt more than a year in length.. then it dont deserve die hard depression over its end.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Don't listen to all those unhealthy food praisers.
    Is she having alot of trouble with it? Tell her to get up and do something (with you if that helps). Like sports or doing something else you know she likes...

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    A long walk talking about nothing at all followed by hot chocolate or chocolate icecream. It will do wonders.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by angelan
    *nods at the ice-cream* DEFINITELY helps lol....having been there, done that. Not necessarily chick flicks tho....esp the ones that tend to be on the romantic side.....ice-cream and anime works well find an up beat anime, big tub of ice-cream and two spoons. mwhahaha....
    Two spoons? Oh, I get it... a spare in case the one you're currently using breaks right? But no, seriously, I've found that you gotta remember the best way to help someone get over stuff like that is to just be there. Use wisdom here, only speak if you can improve the silence, if not just listen. I've found that the friends that I go to most are the ones who sit patiently while I vent and at most gives 1 maybe 2 sentences to comfort. It's the venting that starts to help healing. Don't try to heal them yourself or force them to move on, only they can do that. Just help them work that out so they can see it for themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast