Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hero

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks

Hero

When i saw Hero i was very impressed with what the movie had to teach. At last I had found a character, Broken Sword, who embodied what i myself have discovered though hard training in the martial arts: the idea that training of the body and mind can be complimentary, and that ALL life is sacred. For some reason i have never met another person (who wasn't a master) who has held these ideals to be true. Saddening, i know. Which is why the movie was so inspirational to me.

I would like to hear what other people felt about the movie, and possible interpretations that you guys have come up with. Perhaps this could even become a discussion of the prolific symbolism. I shall return later and see where you guys take this.
    Last edited by BlueTigerFour; Nov 06, 2004 at 08:38 PM.

Newbie crapmonster may be famous one day crapmonster may be famous one day crapmonster's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmm lets see, almost all the character die unmeaningful deaths, and the supposedly righteous king, who in real history purged thousands of scholars and innocents just for believing in different beliefs. to be honest, i didnt see the value of life really anywhere in the movie. even as you said with the character of brokensword, he dies proving to his loved one what he believes in, and then she kills herself. well gee, i guess he died for nothing since she just suicides anyways. then jet li who chooses not to kill the king who he has wanted to kill his whole life miraciously gets convinced not to kill him and guess what? he gets killed by the king. oh and btw, the real king in histry he is indeed based on, was a ruthless ruler who's supposed "unity" only lasted 20 years after his death. and if you think what i say is wierd, how about someone makes a movie glorifying hitler. "he unified europe and purged millions to unify his country, which he technically did".
    but anyways, getting back to the character of brokensword, he indeed was a respectable figure but the movie as a whole didnt really deliver what he seemed to stand for and in all honesty, wasnt that great.

Thanks
    Obviously i disagree with just about everything you said, but i'm not going to start a flame war over it. I'm just sorry to hear that you couldn't take anything away from the movie.

"There are no failures. Only opportunities to learn."

Newbie crapmonster may be famous one day crapmonster may be famous one day crapmonster's Avatar
    Thanks
    ah you know thats really mature of you, on most cases, when i said bad things about this movie i get flamed and people instantly labeled me as an idiot who couldnt get the "deepness" of the movie. though im curious, how does the movie show the value of all life? i ask this cause in the movie it seems the kings philosophy prevails and that is, i kill to stop killing, andf i burned to unify. which is kinda like, the ends justify the means type of thinking. if the king valued life, i assume he would find a way to go about things without war or killing. For example if ones compares it to the modern day, what Bush has done with Iraq and foreign policy is basically just go to war and kill our way through. It didnt work and just resulted in the loss of many lives. Id really like to hear a more indepth interpretation if its not too mcuh to ask, Id love to hear more of your thoughts on this as well.

Thanks
    what's this? an open mind? cue the holy music, good man! in all honesty never thought i'd see one in a forum!

Well first off let me say that i beleive you're absolutely right about the king being a bad guy. I wouln't want to be responsible for killing the man who had brought me such a profound revelation as Nameless brought to the king. But the message is all in how you look at the movie. Different angles of interpretation will obviously bring about different 'meanings' hidden in the play. I just happened to view it in such a way that i took personal meaning from it.

i don't beleive that we necessarily need to think the king is good in order to grasp the message that life is valuable. As an example, when i saw the king being a bad man, i thought "This man is the most evil of kings, yet to Broken Sword life is so sacred that the most evil of evils is not deserving of death. This must say something about the sanctity of life."

So like i said, i think the meaning we find is in the angle we take on the movie. I held Broken Sword's parts of the story (the ones told in green, the color of hope) to be the most meaningful.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's raining outside and I feel the need to go running in it. I'll wait for your feedback on what i've written before i continue.

ja, ne?

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    if you continue to pursue this line of discussion you will eventually only be debating the value of human life - a topic complicated on its own merit. everyone will believe something different, usually with preconceived notions philosophically and religiously. i wouldn't suggest it

i do however think that the movie was well done stylisticly. the art was great, the sword fights were exciting and the colors were really bold. visually i thought it was awesome.

The end is important in all things.

Thanks
    ahah um im not sure if you were being sarcactic or serious by your first statement but in my experience i find that some people can be really ignorant in things such as this so it was nice not to get flamed right off the bat and it seems it can be nicely discussed whihc is actually rare for me haha.
    well anyways, i actually forgot about the whole color thing, its been a while since i have seen it and now that you mention it, i see where you come from on this. brokensword dies though he got through nameless making him not kill the king. though i may not agree with the way zhang yimou chose to do this i definitely get the message you got now. i guess if one doesnt think about the historical relevance and just looks at the story of the movie it makes perfect sense. thanks for clearing it up for me actually cause ive been pondering about it for awhile.
    i think this is kinda how i felt about the samurai trilogy, i really liked it since i loved eiji yoshikawa's musashi and it was great seeing it on screen, though id have to admit the movies were full of many flaws but like you with hero, it still connected with me deeply.

Thanks
    sorry for the confusion, but i wasn't being sarcastic. I enjoy a refreshing discussion every once in awhile as opposed to the usual 'this is my opinion and you're all wrong' attitude that a lot of people develop. I have renewed faith in humanity now =)

Besides the meaning behind the movie, i'm curious what you thought of the way the movie was portrayed. Most of the people i know where expecting swordfights all the way through and they were very disappointed. But a lot of the scenery was very beautiful. What was your favorite scene? Mine was the chess house when people weren't fighting. The tranquility was awesome. The construction of the buildings and rooftops to allow rain to fall on the chessboard was amazing. Ah, when i have my own house i'm building one of those in my backyard ^_^

I shall have to watch this samurai trilogy so we can discuss that too. I recommend for your reading pleasure Shougun, the best book i have ever read. They also made it into a miniseries if that's more your style.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast