Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: -Heroism or feats of skill?-

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks

-Heroism or feats of skill?-

In his essay "The Present Age", over a century old, existentialist philosopher Kierkegaard asserts that the previous age regarded Heroism as an act to be both envied and admired, which was without equivocation. However, in the present age, he asserts that people confuse Heroism for mere feats of skill which merely give the illusion of danger, and, for all intents and purposes, are nothing more than perceived and fully calculated actions.

Thus, do you believe people today observe calculated behavior as an act of heroism?
    Last edited by Hardedge; Feb 13, 2005 at 01:48 PM.
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Any chance of a link to this essay? It sounds interesting.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku zeine may be famous one day zeine may be famous one day zeine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, the essay, as you have explained seems to have proved its point... We are now at an era where illusions are highly possible and events or things are easily fabricated... That is probably the reason why people are quick to mistrust each other right away... It's because these times are deceiving... Still, many hoaxes are popping out and some deeds are made only for the sake of fame, fortune or both...

While Heroism sounds sweet to the ears, this is not really something so easily achieved... But, since people nowadays are also, in contrast, readily susceptible to "the (mysteries) of the unknown"... Unexplainable happenings which are probable illusions can be taken also as "an act both envied and admired"... Magicians, fortune tellers, escape artists, daredevils etc., they are all praised for their feats or work... The jobs of the latter occupations mentioned are indeed carefully calculated, no doubt... Fact is, we admire, think highly of and regard certain people as great because they can do something out of the ordinary whether fictional or true...

To pose an example: How many of you actually enjoy watching Ripley's Believe it or Not?

I myself admit that I prove to have interests in watching daring and unbelievable shows...

Otaku Juice may be famous one day Juice may be famous one day Juice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just my two cents.
    Heroism is an act of selflessness, and i see your point about Ripleys, those feats of skill are not selfless at all, they are done for attention or money.

I guess these days there aren't as many situations to show heroism. Heroism stems from conflict and oppression which isn't as common today. Heroism is shown more on a level where only the people involved would know about the hero. Heroism shouldn't be widely known anyway, the only people that should see somebody as a hero are the people closest to the hero, since heroism isn't done for self glory.

Talk less, Say More. Eat Less, Chew More. Whine Less, Breath More. Fear Less, Hope More. Hate Less, Love More.
    And all good things are yours

Otaku zeine may be famous one day zeine may be famous one day zeine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    Just my two cents.
    Heroism is an act of selflessness, and i see your point about Ripleys, those feats of skill are not selfless at all, they are done for attention or money.
    Yes, exactly... That is how society operates nowadays... It's sad really...

Heroism stems from conflict and oppression which isn't as common today. Heroism is shown more on a level where only the people involved would know about the hero. Heroism shouldn't be widely known anyway, the only people that should see somebody as a hero are the people closest to the hero, since heroism isn't done for self glory.
    Heroism, very well-defined... A point well taken and words well said... Indeed, heroism is seldom acknowledged by many who don't see, but only those who do, actually realize how great the hero's self-sacrifice is... Heroism isn't done for self glory, true; but the same thing, unfortunately, cannot be said at present...
    Last edited by zeine; Feb 12, 2005 at 06:05 AM.

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Very intriguing assertions you guys. You seem to assert that a Hero is merely a means to and ends and not a product of functionality, but merely a self-serving mechanism, even one that may be sophistic in nature. It does pain me to see such pejorative conceptions of Heroism, but I suppose that is what the world has been reduced to, merely, a strife of opposites and conflicting ideas....
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Newbie Sorcerer Majic may be famous one day Sorcerer Majic may be famous one day
    Thanks
    If you ask me, I would say that heroism doesn't always have to be a self sacrifice. Sure there are heros of war, but I often think we forget that there can be heros in times of peace as well. There are people whom have shaped our lives today that were seen as heretics before, but now in this new age seen as heros. For example, Martin Luther King Jr. was the character whom led to the desegregation of our schools, which was an action many wanted but none had the courage to bring it about. Heroism in my opinon, is defined as the act of self sacrifice or to bring about a revolution which leads to positive results.

Newbie Nemontine89 may be famous one day Nemontine89 may be famous one day Nemontine89's Avatar
    Thanks
    Heroism stems from conflict and oppression which isn't as common today.
    Um, oppression is pretty common and so is conflict. All you have to do to see that is look at the world news.

I think there's plenty of heroes nowadays, but like many people said, you just don't hear about them. Heroism doesn't have to be big, it could be a simple thing, like giving up your seat on the bus to some old or pregnant person. Being a hero is about being brave and selfless, putting the wellbeing of others before you. I guess you could say there are different types of heroes.
    For ex, those firefighters in 9/11 who went back into the towers while everyone else was leaving. Sure, you could say that they were doing their job, but to a certain extent, they could've just turned around and given up.

Hmm, I want to say more but can't exactly put it into words
    Last edited by Nemontine89; Feb 12, 2005 at 05:57 PM.

I wuv me my gumbies XD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast