Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Homo Sapiens Vs. Adam & Eve

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren
    Someone mentioned... has anyone actually READ the creation stories (yes, more than one) according to Genesis? Let me see here...

"So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

Note how it says "humankind". As in, they were created equal.

"So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, 'This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called Woman, for out of Man this one was taken.'" Genesis 2:21-23

Note how it says women were created from men.

Okay, so... what is it? Two versions of the same story? Two completely different creations? If I remember correctly... Eve was not even Adam's first wife. I'm not an expert on the story though, so I'd have to do a little research, and I'm too lazy to do that right now. =P
    lol, well at least you admitt it.

No they're not two stories. Think of it as if you were writting an essay. The first description is a summery the second is the follow up paragraphs that fill in the details.

The rib is significant. Notice it's not part of his foot. She's made from part of his side. Think of it symbolically if you like. They are to live and work side by side. So yes they are equal. If you continue to read it says
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave• unto his wife•: and they shall be one flesh.
    Again, equals. It's also a symbol of the fact that the husband isn't supposed to let any person come between them including "his father and his mother". So no apron strings or machismo allowed.

As for the more then one wife story, that comes from Jewish Mysticism. A Schism of Judism that has been around for about 2 thousand years and was first committed to writting in the 13th century. Which just goes to show that every religion has it's schisms and heretics.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie lapuk may be famous one day lapuk may be famous one day lapuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    ^ yes, but then for some of these contradictions, you have to wonder, are they true contradictions, or is it some kind of strange metaphor? That's what makes deciefering the Holy Bible so difficult, what do you take as literal, and what do you take as metapor?
    oh i perfectly agree with you..the bible is not something you take everything literally.the bible has been around for ages and yet it is still being deciphered. to me the creation story in the genesis is merely symbolical and that what was written in it should not be taken literally. also, it is my personal opinion that the reason why the creation theory in the book of genesis was written that way is to make it easier for people to understand. imagine a child reading a story filled with mystery and high falluting words.now that sucks.why?coz the kid simply can't understand.and at the time the bible was written, human knowledge was still in its primitive state.

i actually support both theories.to me, both theories are related,if you give a more open mind to it. who the hell knows how long a day is to God? 7 days to Him could be equal to 7 billion years to us. nowadays, there are scientists who are trying to prove that both theories are related..i don't want to get into details on how they are actually trying to do it coz it'll be pretty long.

this world still has lots of mysteries that needs some unravelling.and as of the moment, science ain't anywhere close to doing that.

--> you

Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm of the mind that all religons came from one original religon which would be the"right one" or the more correct one. But man took it and made it his own to his specific liking. If you notice every religon has something in common with another. When you think about it Jesus technically didn't exist because there is no proof to show he did. Just a book that is meant to mislead people from the truth. If there is a god he is not watching over us and protecting us and yata yata. He is just an immense ammount of energy way out in the far reaches of the universe ( or multiverse whatever you believe in) that just creates entire worlds, species, and sub species not out of want but out of need. Because if "it" (I always like how everyone assumes god is a gender)does not it will overlode just like a nuclear reactor and melt down causing what you may ask well it is simple the apoccalypse. I may very well be creating a religon right now. But it is not without its own flaws just like everyone of us. This is indeed plausible but opinion none the less.
    This pain is sratching at my bone.
    And this Loneliness won't leave me alone.

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    i'm a strong believer in the evolution theory as i feel it has the most evdence to go by, even if it is patchy in areas. i also can percieve that if god had simply made man, there would be no feasible reason for him/her to make clues that point to a different way.
    plus we know that inbreeding can lead to some odd deformations, and if it was adam and eve, then all there would be after was their children, and thus inbreeding would occur. i don't know where i'm going with this part of the argument.
    plus in my faith it says that when the universe was created by a soul he did what most souls did wit their universe, he sat back and watched it grow, he didn't hinder it in any way, he just let it develope in its own way.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger_smith
    I'm of the mind that all religons came from one original religon which would be the"right one" or the more correct one. But man took it and made it his own to his specific liking. If you notice every religon has something in common with another. When you think about it Jesus technically didn't exist because there is no proof to show he did. Just a book that is meant to mislead people from the truth. If there is a god he is not watching over us and protecting us and yata yata. He is just an immense ammount of energy way out in the far reaches of the universe ( or multiverse whatever you believe in) that just creates entire worlds, species, and sub species not out of want but out of need. Because if "it" (I always like how everyone assumes god is a gender)does not it will overlode just like a nuclear reactor and melt down causing what you may ask well it is simple the apoccalypse. I may very well be creating a religon right now. But it is not without its own flaws just like everyone of us. This is indeed plausible but opinion none the less.
    Might the fact that they all share something have to do with the fact that the three main religions (Muslim, jew, Christian) all share the SAME OLD TESTAMENT?!

There are only very minor differences, like the Quran (I hope that's spelled right) has the messages God gave to his prophet.

And why is it you only address why Jesus doesn't exist? Why not the other religions' prophets?

And everyone refers to God as a "he" because that's just the translation. If you even DARE say that's mysoginistic, I swear I will find out where you live and slap you, because the Hebrew doesn't have any differentiation between the genders, much like the Latin ending of "t", "nt", "tur", and "ntur".

Sorry about no Hebrew examples, I'm a student of Latin, not Hebrew.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    While ryke12 is very, ummm, firm about his opinion he does has some points.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_smith
    When you think about it Jesus technically didn't exist because there is no proof to show he did. Just a book that is meant to mislead people from the truth.
    Who told you that? The Romans kept assiduous records. Then there are personal letter and journals that have survived. Trust me, there is no question that he existed.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, I must state that I am a RC (Roman Catholic) so while my opinion may be biased, keep in mind at one point I hated my religion, so my points should contain valid reasoning for both sides.

The way I see it, science is a very valid way of finding solutions to various problems in life. The Law of Physics is deadly accurate and as far as I know, cannot be disproven by anyone. In science, it states that all matter (not life) is made out of atoms. Atoms being particles of neutrons, protons and electrons put together in a specific pattern that makes up a different kind of particle. Science also states that all life is made of cells that have organelles to carry out their various jobs. These ideas have been proven time and time again and no one doubts in the fact that logic cannot be disproven.

However, logic does not make up everything in the world. Scientists state that they have explored so little of the planet, yet we have so much information on what we do know. There is obviously more out there than we know, not only on Earth, but in space as well. This leads to the question, do we really know anything at all? My friend once asked me a question, and I gave him a simple response. He asked why the answer was that way. I provided him another response. He kept asking me why and why and why, until I got to the point where I said I don't know.

So do we know anything? For all we know we could be living in a world like the Matrix, or something totally different.

So where does God come into this? He fills in the gaps, ask a question and a response could be, "God did it" As for why He did it, we do not know, until we die and get reborn, if we even get reborn. I, as a RC, believe in a God, and over the years, have a profound distaste for science as it is not complete and there is still so much unknown. While it is the same thing for God, the basis for both ideas are vastly different; religion relies on faith, science relies on known things, and as we know, we know so little (ooh, oxymoron-ish).

Take what you will from what I've written, because there's my two cents, though it seems a bit like a dollar...

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    ^ I totally agree. But the agruement is, who's here to say we aren't right? It's a lose-lose situation at this point. In the end, we aren't exactly sure, because both sides have flaws and missing links, maybe both science AND christianity are wrong, but in the end, no one really cares too much, you're alive, go live. That's what animals do. They don't question existance, they just exist. Maybe we should be more like animals.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast