Thread: Hooping Cough

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Hooping Cough

Ok, if you don't know what hooping cough is, this is a thread completely devoted to the myths, facts, and everything in between. If you have had an experience with it (as I am right now), please tell us how it went for you.

First of all, you don't actually hoop when you cough. What actually happens is you have a coughing attack that leaves you with no air in you lungs. But you still have the coughing attack happening. You can't breath in due to the air passage collapsing. So, being left with no air and a collapsed air passage, the first instinct is to draw in breath, wich means breathing in as hard as possible to actually get an extremely small amount of air. The drawing of air in through the spasming air passage sounds like a hoop.

The word for this type of attack (ok, I can't remember the spelling, so this is spelled phonetically) is known as a Ko-tar-el cough, and can last for several minutes. If the one coughing panics, follow up attacks can happen with whatever small amount of air is regained. Basically, it makes you feel like you are drowning. Like you are actually dying.

An attack can last for several minutes, and once the spasm has stopped, you have to breath in in very small breaths or else another attack will start. It is possible to pass out while having an attack, but that does not mean that it is over. It continues even after passing out. One has to mean extremely calm.

For children, as many as 50 attacks can happen per day. For adults usually around two. Since I am allergic to the vaccine and thus cannot have it, the attacks are very severe, and I average about one a day. One that causes me to shake well after the attack has ended.

For me, the bad part is when I wake up having the attack, like yesterday. I panicked after waking up and ran, tripping on sheets wrapped around my legs and actually thinking I was drowning.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hooping Cough

Well that sucks. We had cases of this in our area. It was on the news.

Newbie roly_poly may be famous one day roly_poly may be famous one day roly_poly's Avatar
    Thanks

ah that sounds pretty serious. when i get vaccined for the something earlier this year it had the hooping cough in it as well and i remember thinking that it sounds like a disease from the 1900s. just because the name isnt all scientific, it sounds like something a housewife would name.

so is it treatable or anything? or do you just have to know what to do in attacks?

times ohshc watched: 2 and 5/26

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Hey, just telling what I'm experiencing.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

SVZ
    Newbie SVZ may be famous one day SVZ may be famous one day SVZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the info frozen_mercury