Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you act to friends with an illness?

Keeping you in suspense! The King of Fashion may be famous one day The King of Fashion may be famous one day The King of Fashion's Avatar
    Thanks

Question How do you act to friends with an illness?

If you had a friend with an illness like AIDS, diabetes, SARS, HIV, or any other stuff like that, would you treat them differently or treat them like any other friend you have? If you would treat them differently, how so? If not, why?
    Last edited by The King of Fashion; Jun 09, 2005 at 04:38 PM.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    it depends on the person and the case. Some people are able to face it stronger than others. Personally I think people say what they think they would do....but when it comes to it, you just really don't knwo what your reaction is.

personnally, being as realistic as i can be....i think i would act differently in the beginning....but learn about the illness more in depth, and learn to see what they need and what they don't need. It's difficult, some people want to act as if nothings wrong....but others don't. I would respect my friend and go with the flow.

I hate it when people overreact to it.....i mean....if YOU overreact, how do you think they would feel? They don't NEED more pressure from you....they have enough anxiety on their own and from their own family. I'd give them the space they wanted....but still be around just in case. Then go with the flow =)

One thing i would never do is abandon them.

Btw, with your list of illnesses, SARS is kinda different.....it's easily passed on so....for health reasons you would HAVE to be protected. I don't know it's tough, but I think i would learn to adapt quickly.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a friend with diabetes. It's no different now than it was before she had it. Except now we make jokes (she's pretty comfortable with her situation). This is partly because I'm gullible and freaked out when she said if she had any sugar, she'd go into a diabetic seizure... which later, she assured me doesn't happen.
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

Newbie [Forgotten.Angel] may be famous one day [Forgotten.Angel] may be famous one day
    Thanks
    To tell you the truth I wouldn't treat them different than any of my others friends because when it comes down to it. They aren't so different as we think. So they might not be able to do as much things as we can or they might move at a slower pace but that doesn't give me a really good reason to treat them different. You just really have to remember when it comes down to it that we are all different in some shape or form but that doesn't give us the right to treat someone else as if they weren't our equal because they are. Now, I know I may sound like some adult who gives you a speech that lasts for hours but this how I feel. I had a friend who had an "illness" you might want to call it. His arm was, I don't know how to describe it, imagine your arm being half the length it is now. That is how big his arm was but he still did all the same things as us. None of us really ever considered. Most of us were like "What happened to your arm?" and then totally forgot about it. Anyways, that is how I feel on the matter.

-Angel
    .:I am who I am:.
    "Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    depends on the diease... as long as it wasn't contagious i'd still hang around them... otherwise hello mister phone... ahh technology saves us from life threatening disease's once again.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The King of Fashion
    If you had a friend with an illness like AIDS, diabetes, SARS, HIV, or any other stuff like that, would you treat them differently or treat them like any other friend you have? If you would treat them differently, how so? If not, why?
    Yes, you treat them differently if you are close enough to them.

I live in Southern Utah, so know alot of people who come down with, and usually die from, cancer.
    Right now my cousin that I have been close to is in Chemo Therapy. I have another friend who finished her Chemo just a few years ago and has to take thyroid medicine daily or she will die.

If it's a friend but you're not specially close there is a tendancy to act like nothing is happening, but if you're really close.... you act differently. They could/will die. You value your time you have with them more then ever. You make more time for them because it may be the last you have. It affects you deeply. That is why I am firmly against euthenasia. I would not give up the final moments I have had with those I love for anyone's "convienence".

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Wonderlandless may be famous one day Wonderlandless may be famous one day Wonderlandless's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would try my best not to treat them differently, but if I know they're going to die (like right away) then I would be a little different because I'm bracing myself for the lost.

I know many people with AIDS and HIV and I don't treat them any different than I would a normal person, only thing is I don't go around them when I have a cold or something along those lines.
    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However,
    a great number of electrons were terribly
    inconvenienced

Love with its back turned My manga highschool love story.

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks
    They need you most then. Visit them as often as you can, god forbid that they die. Its better tp die with closure that way. They need a friend most then 2.
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast