Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: how old do you think the drinking age should be???

Otaku Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    I think that the drinking age should be moved to the drafting age in US. (18) If youre old enough to die for your country, you should be old enough to drink. Or they should move the drafting age to 21, which is how old you have to be to drink in minnesota.

You can buy anything with a valid military ID. SO if you get drafted at 18, you can go buy all you want. The problem is we have alot of stupid people here that abuse a privilage they dont even have yet. Imagine how much worse it would be if they were allowed to.
    Last edited by Juggernaut; Feb 03, 2005 at 12:22 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ok, seriously. No, I don't think they should lower the age limit. The difference between serving in the armed forces, driving a car, and drinking is that only one of these is recognized as a controlled substance, a drug. Since being in the military and driving are not substances that can atler your perception of reality (outside of ego's) they technically do not qualify as dangers to society. Excessive drinking is.

Before anyone points out that driving a car can be dangerous, in Utah that has been recognized and steps have been taken to lower the number of accidents from 16 & 17 yr old drivers.

Also I do not believe that eliminating the drinking age altogether would fix anything. In the past I had several friends from Belgium. They would tell me how, at age 16, they and everyone they knew were going out and getting smashed every night/weekend because there was nothing else to do. Add that to drivers lisences and the potential for fatalities is truly scary. It's hard enough for teenagers to survive to become an adult in some places, why make it harder. That's assuming they don't kill someone else instead.

Final point. Binge drinking is a serious problem in colleges. It leads to drunk driving, rape, and death. Most of these students are still underage. Guess what a good indicator of whether a college student is likely to binge drink is? If he did it as a teenager. Something to think about.

DID YOU KNOW?

** Frequent binge drinkers were eight times more likely than non-binge drinkers to miss a class, fall behind in schoolwork, get hurt or injured, and damage property.13

** Nearly one out of every five teenagers (16 percent) has experienced “black out” spells where they could not remember what happened the previous evening because of heavy binge drinking.14 ** More than 60 percent of college men and almost 50 percent of college women who are frequent binge drinkers report that they drink and drive.15

** Binge drinking during high school, especially among males, is strongly predictive of binge drinking in college.16

** Binge drinking during college may be associated with mental health disorders such as compulsiveness, depression or anxiety, or early deviant behavior.17

** In a national study, 91 percent of women and 78 percent of the men who were frequent binge drinkers considered themselves to be moderate or light drinkers.18

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    We should ban drinking alcohol. and our problem solved.

The current drinking age is fine.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Mazer may be famous one day Mazer may be famous one day Mazer's Avatar
    right outside of reality, just inside insanity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by narrator
    Let me guess Mazer, your 18? lol......but yeah to me it doesnt really matter.....and plus drinking is more fun when your not allowed to drink it. Take my word for it, im 22....and it's so boring to drink...no more thrill
    lol actually im 14 and i have only drank like 4 times and i didnt really like it but it was pretty fun but ya my girlfriend doesnt like me too so i dont do it ne more

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer
    lol actually im 14 and i have only drank like 4 times and i didnt really like it but it was pretty fun but ya my girlfriend doesnt like me too so i dont do it ne more
    Bad Mazer. Why start kids on the road to hell at a young age? They're not mature enough to handle a drink that alters your thinking ability if drunk in large amounts.
    Seduced by Flesh

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    We should ban drinking alcohol.
    If it would work, a total ban would have my full support. I wonder what it would take to achieve?

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    If it would work, a total ban would have my full support. I wonder what it would take to achieve?
    An admendment to the Bill of Rights....again.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    An admendment to the Bill of Rights....again.
    That and to send a bill to Congress.
    Seduced by Flesh

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast