Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Human Nature?

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Human Nature?

Finally, the post I was waiting for. I'd quote it... but %$&@ that was long! The roots of stupidity going deeper than we can imagine... you hit the nail on the head.

In some cases, it is human nature. In most, it can be influence, self image, or an infinite number of other things. We are influenced by things like our parents, our friends (peer pressure ), our culture, religion, past experiances (good and bad), what we think of ourselves, what we think others think of us, etc etc etc. To find out why someone does something *stupid* we have to dig a lot deeper than just looking at the person and what they did. We have to look at thier past, thier upbringing, thier friends, thier beliefs, etc. We have to look at everything down to every single person or source of influence they've EVER come in contact with. for example; Is a glass with filled up to the half way mark half way full, or half way empty? The way you answer that depends on how you interpret the question, which depends on what you've been influenced by as well as your personality. I saw it depends on if the glass was bein emptied or filled to get to that point. Simple answer to the question that doesn't have one.

As far as influences go; they have an effect on everything we do every day. If you do something, something influenced you to do it. Whatever way you do it, something influenced you to do it in that particular way. The most common sources of influences seem to be everything parents fear; TV, music, movies, romodles, and even the parents themselves. I don't say games because that's a touchy subject with me, and that could go either way depending on the person. Everything that influences people does so in a different way. Some of us are aware of us and identify the source and its effect. Thus, in some cases, voiding the effect it would normally have on us. As Tazmaa said; it can take a lot of intelligence to break away from influens... mostly common sense; something that's been lacking in recent generations. I can say this because my generation has little common sense as a whole.

In the end it all boils down to this; What we do (stupid or not) is done for a reason. I'm not talking about fate, but rather the way everything that you learn "meshes" into that little brain of ours. What we do and how w do it depends on how we interpret the world we live in. It's that simple...

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zarriff
    Is stupidity human nature or is something else wrong with society? Not stupidity as in low IQ, but rather doing something dumb and not thinking about it first.

There are plenty of people who do and/or say stupid things on this site (myself included -the mods know this all too well) and we all know when someone does something really stupid in the real world such as hitting a parked car, robbing a bank and waiting for a bus in front of it, throwing a rock onto a car off of a bridge when the rock has a chain and a hook between your legs, and on and on and on.

And yes, the rock thing really happened. Not to me of course, as stupid as I may be.
    I don't believe stupidity is human nature in a sense, though I believe human nature causes stupidity. First of all it's hard to pin down a definitive definition for stupid, various degrees of it are different to everyone. What seems stupid to one person may not seem stupid at all to the next.

The problem is we believe ourselves to be smart rational beings capable of a lot more than what comes from certain individuals. We see a scenario where someone has done something obviously stupid and we wonder how anyone could be that idiotic. Everyone of us can reason, some better than others but not everyone takes the time to stop and think things through before they act.
    Like robbing a gas station or a bank because you're desperate in a scenario like that the person would most likely end up being stupid, and accidentally shooting/hurting someone. But is it really right to say someone that has well planned out a bank heist, goes in, does it, gets out with out hurting anyone and gets away with the money. Would you really call what those individuals did stupid? Probably not. The act of stupidity in a case like that would not be the idea to rob a bank, it would be what happened that got you caught. We are usually only quick to call someone stupid if they are caught with their pants down "figuratively speaking". Two different people could do the same thing, and because of the reasoning or lack there of, one could have the possibility of looking stupid. Like a guy who sleeps around (And doesn't use protection) some people could look at him like he's a "stud" and then a guy who sleeps with one girl (With out protection) and gets HIV, people might look at him and ask him how he could have been so stupid. He was no less stupid than the other guy who got praised, but since his actions ended with a negative result he was the one labeled stupid.

We have the ability to communicate though language and admittedly humans have a somewhat large amount of intelligence, but we allow our arrogance of those facts get in the way of how we perceive ourselves. And how we believe we should be acting and shouldn't be acting. It's a fallacy, we're all egotistical to an extent. So when someone who is suppose to be intelligent ends up doing something we deem stupid we act surprised. Like a person who is smart and gets perfect grades, and one day is caught cheating because they fell asleep studying and didn't know anything, so they panicked and cheated. Or some moron who decided that calling a police officer who was about to arrest them a colorful word would be funny. Sometimes we act on impulses, and our reactions sometimes come about faster than our reasoning. Sex is a perfect example, we are sexual beings, but because we can reason and teach ourselves restraint, we can get through our day to day lives with out throwing our clothes off and screwing the first attractive person we see. But sometimes the sex drives clouds all reason, and we end up getting carried away and sleeping with a person. I am not trying to justify being a slut or cheating and what not. I'm just trying to show that sometimes human nature clouds judgement and reason and causes us to do stupid things. There are other examples, wanting to belong, peer pressure, stress, artificial inhibitors aka drugs or alcohol, and so forth.

We can't always be on the ball all the time. We're bound to mess up and do something stupid. Even if it's not as extreme as what some people do. We're are after all animals. We don't sit there and discuss the stupid doings of a dog, like it's surprising, so really when a person does something stupid, it shouldn't be all that surprising.

With that said, I would like to note, there is a fine line between stupid and wrong. But there is a difference, and even with lack of reason or better judgement, doing something that is just plain wrong is no excuse for poor reasoning.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Otaku yanna may be famous one day yanna may be famous one day yanna's Avatar
    Thanks

We are all a real big bunch of dumb Asses like animechick kind of pointed out.......but we all act stupid and we all do stupid things it is just the way we are....I mean what the heck...I have some friends who are dumb well hell have you seen what the heck has happened to this world? We are fighting a war over nothing at all.
    Now look at us again we have teen mothers like you wouldnt believe it and we have so many sex craved assholes that it isnt even funny.I know that I am not a perfect person that I at all. I have done alot of things that I am really ashamed of and I wish that i could take some of these things back but i know that I cant but i wish that I could anyways.
    But I am with a friend of mine who is into killing off the stupid people or at least having them fixed so that they dont reproduse and have more stupid people because that is all we need is another bunch of idiots
    I am insane and I am loving every hour of it? Any problems?

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

i was going to start a comic on another human nature issue but as this is here i have the feeling it would be closed.

now i know this human nature thread is about stupidity, but i'd like to talk about the really massive lack of humanity in todays children (or at least what i've seen).
    now what i have seen i will admit does not apply to every one but i would say it applys to the majority.
    when i use to have nothing better to do i would sit in the lunch rooms at lunch not paying attetion to my friends conversations but just trying to here what other people where talking about and i found that around 75% of all the girls conversations that i heard where all bitching, some times extremely viciously. most of the boys weren't talking, when they were a lot were braging but most seemed to be normal conversations about what happened last night on tv. but what i did find though is most of the girls acted nicely enough to whoever they were bitching about, but the boys seemed happier to openly insult anyone they didn't like and threaten that person. now it seems whenever i am alone with a girl they bitch, now not all girls do but most. and most boys i talk to seem less bitchy. now i know that boys are probably just as vicious as girls but they don't seem to voice their oppinions to anyone unless they are insulting a certain person with their mates. and i stress with their mates as they usually act differently on their own. now even though i am a boy i do on occasion bitch about one persons particular problem, but i swear i don't do it half as much as some of the girls i talk to. now i was going to say something else but i've forgotten.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

Not 2 b offensive or anything but Americans are the stupidest ones...I mean just look at the way we live? (For Ex.) The #1 disease right now in the u.s. is obesity....leave it to us to make that a disease... I mean what are we gonna tell our grandchildren when they ask us about that? "Oh Tommy!!! It was hell back then burgers and cheesecake everywhere u looked." ?
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheza
    Not 2 b offensive or anything but Americans are the stupidest ones...I mean just look at the way we live? (For Ex.) The #1 disease right now in the u.s. is obesity....leave it to us to make that a disease... I mean what are we gonna tell our grandchildren when they ask us about that? "Oh Tommy!!! It was hell back then burgers and cheesecake everywhere u looked." ?
    isn't that from a song by lazy white boy, or something like that?
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4