Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Hurricane Katrina

As some of you know, hurricane Katrina is about to make landfall on the gulf coast. (I like meteorology, I'm into this stuff ok) It is the 4th category 5 hurricane to ever hit the US and is making a b-line for New Orleans. A little background on New Orleans... It is below sea level, surrounded on almost all sides by water in some form or another and acts like a "bowl." The estimated death toll for this storm in New Orleans alone is 40,000-60,000 people. 30,000+ people will be held up in the New Orleans super dome, and if it's a worse case senario, then they too will be stranded. An estimated 20% of the New Orleans population have evacuated, but still leaves hundreds of thousands of people in the city. If the hurricane hits west the flooding in New Orleans is an estimated 200-30 feet and if it hits East (most likely if not direct) then it will be 15-20 feet (I think). If I remember correctly, about 60-80% of New Orleans will be sevearly damaged by this storm and even destroyed if all goes to hell. This may not all be accurate, It's been pulled from memory.

If worse comes to worse, than this could be a once in a lifetime catastrophe. the death tolls will be staggering and damages will be unbelievable. I am starting this thread so that people may express thier concerns before, and thier stories and or prayers afterward. My hopes go out to those who will be affected by this storm and good luck to you. Many people will die on this Monday morning as hurricane Katrina makes landfall. If worse does come to worse, than may we all remember this day.

Edit: As of 2:00 am (Cental Time) hurricane reduced to the top end of category 4
    Last edited by Zarriff; Aug 29, 2005 at 07:22 AM.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hurricane Katrina

Ah, I was going to post on the hurricane.

Wow, it so friggen huge. I guess we only can pray for those that cant leave.

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha, too late! I've een tracking it since about 5pm central.

As for the people that can't leave, it is most unfortinate. New Orleans has a very large poor population and they must walk away from the storm. It is terrible to see those that have nowhere to go and no way to get anywhere safe. It's most unfortinate for the children of these families.

Booking hotel rooms for people in the area has been insane. Almost no hotels in the surrounding area have avaliability, so people are running out of places to run. People were willing to drive 9 hours into central Florida Sunday morning to early evening.
    Last edited by Zarriff; Aug 29, 2005 at 12:36 AM.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, on the bright side the death toll may put some houses on the market. Good mardigras vacation homes.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm lost on what info to believe. My local news just said that Katrina has been downgraded to a Cat 4.

I'm just glad when Katrina passed Florida, I barely got rain. Though lots of wind.
    Seduced by Flesh

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

For some reason the name hurricane Katrina brings me back to my old battletech days. Ahhh the memories.

On the other hand, I hope that all affected by this storm fair well. But never underestimate the power of mother nature, she's a bitch.

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a sad time. All these people are going to die and iit had nothing to do with me. Even though only 10% of them don't deserve to die but it still feels wrong.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hurricane Katsuhito

I'm pretty concerned about the whole situation down there, i have family in New Orleans and i've heard that they already vacated towards Texas somewhere. I'm assuming they're looking for a hotel seeing how we have absolutely no family ties in that state.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast