Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huygens sets record

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks

Huygens sets record

The European Space Agency's (ESA) Huygens probe, which piggy-backed on the International Cassini spacecraft (which was launched sometime in the late 90's) and landed on Saturn's moon Titan last Friday, is now the farthest object made by man to have landed on another world (the farthest man-made objects that are now in interstellar space are Pioneer 10 and 11, and Voyagers 1 and 2, but they are not landers...these objects are now cruising in space outside our solar system).

You can read all about it here:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.cfm

Being the forum's resident amateur astronomer, I thought it was my "job" to report this

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm following this too, I wonder if they can find actual liquid methane or whatever substance they believe to be present there. It's one feat to make it that far, but to land on the first attempt,, in a world where the atmosphere blinds you the sight of the ground.
    I say this is a good sign, and we'll see what goes on with further developpements.

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-paranoia
    I'm following this too, I wonder if they can find actual liquid methane or whatever substance they believe to be present there. It's one feat to make it that far, but to land on the first attempt,, in a world where the atmosphere blinds you the sight of the ground.
    I say this is a good sign, and we'll see what goes on with further developpements.
    Based on the latest info I gathered, they already found one important item--WATER! There is liquid water on Titan! This means that it's a possible colony location!

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Oh, sweet! I'm so getting off of this rock at the first available moment and moving to a space colony. Screw you, Earth, I'm moving to Titan!

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion
    Based on the latest info I gathered, they already found one important item--WATER! There is liquid water on Titan! This means that it's a possible colony location!

-RODION
    They found Water? H20? WOW, I'll have to lookup the news for it... Very breaking news~

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriadd
    Oh, sweet! I'm so getting off of this rock at the first available moment and moving to a space colony. Screw you, Earth, I'm moving to Titan!
    Indeed, hahaha, I felt this way too. I wanna get the F**K off of Earth A.S.A.P.

I was truly excited when I had heard about it reaching Titan, and taking photos and blah blah blah. Seriously, this was the number one choice, when the end of the Earth comes a creepin', was to move to a underwater colony on Titan, and from there, look for more planets to corrupt Funny little cycle they have going before us.... the Earth's gonna burn, and we have to move. . .. awwwww
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I think that is totally awsome. hopefully we will find some interesting things on titan.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion

-RODION

lol, slow down, we gotta colonize the moon and mars before we can think about Titan. I mean, we got a PROBE there, but getting humans there alive is a different matter. Not to be one w/o hope because I do, but I mean we have a LONG way to go before that dream is a possiblity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast