View Poll Results: Should parents get M rated games for their children under 17?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 53.42%
  • No

34 46.58%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignoring ERSB rating (Video Game violance)

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Ignoring ERSB rating

I think fifteen is a good age for most types of games.

However, if you really want to know if your kid(s) is/are only playing games you allow them to, I suggest that you search some information about the games they buy.
    Or you could even try them yourself, I know families where this works perfectly but I understand that this method doesn't work for everyone.

But regarding the rating system, I think that if a parent buys a certain game that he/she knows is violent and regrets it later...then too bad. You reap what you sow, take responsibilty for YOUR mistake and don't scapegoat the video game stores and companies.
    Sure, but remember that most kids know how to get games without the knowledge of their parents.

Basically if you want to have some control over what games your kids play you have to be prepared to put some time and effort into it.
    Last edited by Hassun; Oct 02, 2005 at 05:24 AM.

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I'd say yes and no. It all depends on the content of the game. But all in all I think the ratings are on those games for a reason and parents should be cautious. It's the same as movie ratings the movies are rated for a reason, I took a friend who was 18 to see the movie Saw last year, (it was rated R) it's safe to say the movie scarred her for life. She ended up having a major anxiety induced freak attack after the movie, and I can tell you this it was not in character of her to act like that at all. Me being totally desensitized found the movie to be very funny. My friend on the other hand, who scares easily, wasn’t used to that kind of gore or content and it affected her. She actually ended up at the hospital in the morning with a severe tension headache which she had never gotten before. I’m not saying most people would react to things like that, but you’re kidding yourself if you think certain things in video games don’t have psychological effects on some kids/teens. Where I live they have actually changed the ratings on movies and now any movie that is rated R nobody under 18 even with a parent or guardian is allowed in the movie period. And they are starting to crack down in video rental stores or retail stores and charge places who rent or sell to the underage. And trust me they used to sell them to anyone, I rented and bought rated R movies when I was 12 with out being asked for ID and I looked about 7 years old then.

And I know this is different, but just consider this, how many parents who actually care about their kids well being go out and buy their underage kids alcohol and cigarettes? One might rot your body, but the other can rot your mind, and that’s almost just as bad.

With that said, I’m not qualified to answer what affects it would have on someone long term. I myself started watching horror movies, violent movies and playing violent video games when I was like 6 and 7, and nothing i see on tv, in movies or in video games fazes me. I don’t jump at scary parts in movies, I usually end up laughing at gory parts where body parts are flying around. Same with the video games. But I still react differently to the real world, seeing gore and death in real life and up close still affects me. Maybe I can just tell the difference between what is real and what is fake rationally.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meiwaku
    Well I'd say yes and no. It all depends on the content of the game. But all in all I think the ratings are on those games for a reason and parents should be cautious. It's the same as movie ratings the movies are rated for a reason, I took a friend who was 18 to see the movie Saw last year, (it was rated R) it's safe to say the movie scarred her for life. She ended up having a major anxiety induced freak attack after the movie, and I can tell you this it was not in character of her to act like that at all. Me being totally desensitized found the movie to be very funny. My friend on the other hand, who scares easily, wasn’t used to that kind of gore or content and it affected her. She actually ended up at the hospital in the morning with a severe tension headache which she had never gotten before. I’m not saying most people would react to things like that, but you’re kidding yourself if you think certain things in video games don’t have psychological effects on some kids/teens. Where I live they have actually changed the ratings on movies and now any movie that is rated R nobody under 18 even with a parent or guardian is allowed in the movie period. And they are starting to crack down in video rental stores or retail stores and charge places who rent or sell to the underage. And trust me they used to sell them to anyone, I rented and bought rated R movies when I was 12 with out being asked for ID and I looked about 7 years old then.

And I know this is different, but just consider this, how many parents who actually care about their kids well being go out and buy their underage kids alcohol and cigarettes? One might rot your body, but the other can rot your mind, and that’s almost just as bad.

With that said, I’m not qualified to answer what affects it would have on someone long term. I myself started watching horror movies, violent movies and playing violent video games when I was like 6 and 7, and nothing i see on tv, in movies or in video games fazes me. I don’t jump at scary parts in movies, I usually end up laughing at gory parts where body parts are flying around. Same with the video games. But I still react differently to the real world, seeing gore and death in real life and up close still affects me. Maybe I can just tell the difference between what is real and what is fake rationally.

I think it just depends on the personality. I was never really alowed to watch horror movies when i was under 18 too, but i became desensitized anyway. I wouldnt have reacted like your friend. I think she avoided everything scary like up until that point. So it was a shock. Where as most ppl growing up see somewhat scare stuff and gradually get desensitized.
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Oct 02, 2005 at 08:20 AM.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that the level of maturity and society seem to go together. If a society is very mature, than children become mature faster. So if a population in a city or village in general hides all the *mature* material, a child will not be ready for things rated for older people because he/she was not prepared for it. The contrary should be true as well. But I guess in the RNorth American society 15 years old is an age where people start becoming mature, but there are always exceptions.

Note: I just thought of something, if a large group of people in a city or state or province hides most of the "Mature' material permanently, then even the parents wouldn't be mature enough to be allowed to play or else they'd be traumatized by it themselves......strange but logical I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: ignoring ERSB rating

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    God, when i was a kid(Way back in the jurassic period.. XD), I would have died if you were my mom. jk jk Not appropiate for you, your an adult right? Do you mean those games turn you off?
    Really? The kids I know like having the lines clearly drawn. It makes things so much simpler.

IMHO Most games that are rated M or above are not really appropriate for anyone. The difference is that as adults it's assumed that we know enough to decide for ourselves. We have the freedom to decide whether to rot our brains or not. Children however are still developing mentally and learning how to make those choices. It's up to adults to be responsible and allow them to learn those things before they are exposed to such things.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I really hate to raise this issue. But what's with all this talk of "brain rot" I mean come on people the brain does not rot in a literal or figurative sense. People hae always talked of "brain rot" and I have never understood the concept, it's rubbish. When I was younger I watched TV all the bloody day long. When I got older I played computer games all the bloody day long. And I still do all that is "known to rot the brain." If my brain was rotting I certainly wouldn't have been an honors student in highschool. And I certainly wouldn't have gotten this far in college. Ironically enough I'm on my way to being a psychologist, and so far the issue of "brain rot" has not been in any of my texts.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: ignoring ERSB rating

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Really? The kids I know like having the lines clearly drawn. It makes things so much simpler.

IMHO Most games that are rated M or above are not really appropriate for anyone. The difference is that as adults it's assumed that we know enough to decide for ourselves. We have the freedom to decide whether to rot our brains or not. Children however are still developing mentally and learning how to make those choices. It's up to adults to be responsible and allow them to learn those things before they are exposed to such things.
    I guess it all boils down to taste and mindset. I disagree, when your an adult i see nothing wrong with those games. I dont find them unappropriate at all(As an adult). As long as you can seperate reality from fiction. What you said can be said for other things too, like movies, tv and what not, but we like them anyway.

I agree with vegita's way of thinking on this. Sounds good to me.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frr_vegeta
    I really hate to raise this issue. But what's with all this talk of "brain rot"
    "Brain rot" is no more then a slang phrase for Neural Pathways being created that will desensitize the person to "suffering, conflict, and violence" or simply create behavior patterns that are not conductive to future scholastic achievment.

Brain: Narratives, Neural Pathways & Experience
    * I'm convinced that constant exposure to visual depictions of suffering, conflict, and violence creates dysfunctional circuits within areas of the brain that mediate emotions. (p79)

- The New Brain: How The Modern Age Is Rewiring Your Mind
    If you're going into psychiology you should learn all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    What you said can be said for other things too, like movies, tv and what not, but we like them anyway.
    I agree, and no, I don't.

I don't believe that you can seperate one type of medium from another. To do otherwise is simple hypocrisy.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast