Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the Internet decentralized?

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Is the Internet decentralized?

My father once said that internet is centralized and that all our activity is monitored by the authorities. And that the decentralized nature is only a way how to make us believe that we can do most things unnoticed. Does somebody have a proof on what's the true topology of the net? Because, for example the phones can be tapped. I'm not saying that decentralized means unexploitable, but at least all the traffic shouldn't go through one point that could be monitored.
    What do you think? Can the net be all centralized anyway? What proof can I bring to the discussion to support the popular belief that it's decentralized?

Dear Prudence JustLoseIt may be famous one day JustLoseIt may be famous one day JustLoseIt's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is the Internet decentralized?

I honestly don't think that the internet is centralized.....It's prolly just a lil rumor spread to make you shit your pants if you go on a bad Site er sumthin......

Well that's my say in this matter............

Thanks Pyroo. :]

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

With the exception of the root DNS servers, no, the Internet is not centralized. The fact is, it's not possible to centralize the Internet, as the equipment needed to handle and monitor the volume of traffic doesn't exist...

To understand why the Internet isn't centralized requires a understanding on how TCP/IP, DNS/BIND and the Gateway routing protocols work. Without this knowledge, it would not be possible to understand the explanation. One of the design criteria that was given to the Computer Science Department of UC Berkley back in the early 1980s was to design a network communication protocol that would be 'resistant' to nuclear attack with a high degree of fault tolerance. A centralized network design would not be able to meet that criteria...

The fault tolerance of the design has actually been tested under real world conditions. During the first Gulf war in the early 90s, the US has a horrible time trying to knockout the Iraqi communication network. Everytime they would bomb a telephone switching center, the off the shelf Cisco routers the Iraqi defence network used would trigger their route discover protocols, and within 20 minutes, reestablish the computer network connections. Also, one of the MAJOR Internet routing centers used to be in the basement of the World Trade Center. When 9/11 took out the towers, there was only localized Denial of Service to the Internet infrastructure...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you, but you are not an authority for my father. You have provided some very interesting information though.
    As for the reason why I wrote this, I'm not afraid that my parents would find out what I view, they are BFUs.
    I wanted a simple proof why it would be decentralized (the traffic).

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

the reason that the internet is not centralized is the there root reason it was created. And that was so no matter how badly damaged phone wires are so long as 1 staight conection exists the mesage will always get from the top comand of the millitary to the exact plase with in the chain of comand it was suposed to go to. To have a central station like that would negate that.

heres a good info on the history of the internet http://www.davesite.com/webstation/net-history.shtml
    Last edited by Joshua001; Nov 28, 2005 at 10:04 AM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

So fear of a nuclear attack is responsible for the invention of the internet?

You learn something new everyday.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

ya i saw that on one of the learning chanels programs before they went into all those entertainment shows. though i will admint that i hope it hase grown out of that to be more then then what the origanal consept was desighned for.

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zdenek
    Thank you, but you are not an authority for my father. You have provided some very interesting information though.
    As for the reason why I wrote this, I'm not afraid that my parents would find out what I view, they are BFUs.
    I wanted a simple proof why it would be decentralized (the traffic).
    I'll try to explain this a bit simpler then Len since you obviously don't get it.

The Internet is just a collection of networks. That's all. Each network is on their own and are connected through different links, pathways, etc. There's no one HUGE computer labeled the Internet in which all traffic must go through. There's nothing with the capacity that can do it.

The Internet started as the Arpanet way back in the 1960's if I recall and was basically a foundsation where 4 or 5 networks at different locations were able to communicate with each other. That's still what the internet is today, but instead of 5 networks, there are millions. You're able to communicate on the internet because of a protocol called "TCP/IP" (among other things), which all networks and nodes (node = your computer) must have. It's like a uniform language that all networks adhere by. Becuase of this, everyone can communicate and sign on just fine without having to go through one big Internet central computer.

Since there's no one big warehouse computer for the internet, and it's made up of several millions of small networks, there's no central location. Thus the internet is not centralized. But if you're worried about your parents tracking where you've been, it's easy to find out the sites you go to. All they need are the right tools and a link to your router, or even easier, if they can get on your computer.

And yes, having alternate routes for information to travel (i.e. phone line signals for nuclear scare times) were used as the basis for building the Arpanet on. They wanted to create a web type of scheme with different paths to go through.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast